[HACKS] Add Wifi Toggle on your Verizon Galaxy S4

bryantjopplin

Reaction score
Added wifi toggle, pretty weak how they didn't include it and that's not just because I'm used to ROMs on my old Nexus. Stock TouchWiz with root and a little modding is nice so far. Thanks for posting up the tutorial Wicked

I'm liking it a lot too coming from the gnex

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm liking it a lot too coming from the gnex

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Upgraded from the nexus myself. World of difference but a really good change. I'm really impressed what they did with TouchWiz or whatever they call it now.

Some features are fun to show and some are real useful. Only thing I noticed is inconsistencies in Air View, especially with text messages. It really is hit or miss unless I'm doing something wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

wallytcw

Reaction score
Wifi;WiFiHotspot;AirGesture;

make sure you make the capital letters capital or it won't work.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I believe this is relevant.

I made the above modification a few months ago, and it has been working great ever since. Unfortunately, I got the last OTA update about a week ago (I said "Install later" several times, but I think it forced it on me eventually), and then I lost root - but the WiFiHotspot button still works.

Now, I'm getting another update prompt for the 4.3 update. Has anybody with this mod updated to 4.3 OTA? Does it still work, and does it still bypass the Verizon tethering check?

wallytcw

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I believe this is relevant.

I made the above modification a few months ago, and it has been working great ever since. Unfortunately, I got the last OTA update about a week ago (I said "Install later" several times, but I think it forced it on me eventually), and then I lost root - but the WiFiHotspot button still works.

Now, I'm getting another update prompt for the 4.3 update. Has anybody with this mod updated to 4.3 OTA? Does it still work, and does it still bypass the Verizon tethering check?

Just answered my own question. If you want to keep this button, do NOT update to 4.3. I did this:

[GUIDE][Android 4.3] Update to VRUEMJ7 and Keep Root - xda-developers

...so I have root back, and 4.3, but no button. Settings.db (which requires disabling Knox to get into, thanks Samsung/Verizon) still has the WiFiHotspot string, but the button doesn't appear.

Guess I'm off to start trying root hotspot apps.

bryantjopplin

Reaction score
Just answered my own question. If you want to keep this button, do NOT update to 4.3. I did this:

[GUIDE][Android 4.3] Update to VRUEMJ7 and Keep Root - xda-developers

...so I have root back, and 4.3, but no button. Settings.db (which requires disabling Knox to get into, thanks Samsung/Verizon) still has the WiFiHotspot string, but the button doesn't appear.

Guess I'm off to start trying root hotspot apps.

I'm on 4.3 and mine works.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ccameron1987

Reaction score
Tap "Reset" to add Wifi Toggle...

I was unable to do the method using SQLite Editor (I'm on Android 4.3, rooted). The program would not let me access/edit the system.db. I discovered, however, that tapping "Reset" under Settings --> Display --> Notification Panel added the Wifi toggle. I was forced to do a factory reset previously after I rooted while on Android 4.3. I don't know if this has any correlation but I still did not have the wifi toggle option after the factory reset. Clicking the reset button fixed this for me. Simple fix and easy. I was able to get a refund on the SQLite Editor app thankfully. I will have to see if there is another way to add the Wifi Hotspot toggle.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Is my Verizon S4 somehow the only one in existence that has a WiFi toggle by default in my notification bar? I thought that was a normal inclusion...

tsiehta

Reaction score
I believe it was added by default with the 4.3 update. Before that this was how you had to get it.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Hm I'm pretty sure I've had it since I bought the phone in August but I could be mistaken! I use a power control widget anyway haha