Add Google Voice texts to the Messaging app

Zigz14

Reaction score
I have a GV number I use for my work (it's a 425 area code useful in Seattle). I also have my Verizon number that has been my cell phone number forever. I send texts from both (from GV for work and from my Verizon number for friends and family back home who all know my number). I would like to get it set up so that I can view my GV texts from within the Android Messaging App as I use that to access and go between all my email accounts, plus my Verizon number's text messages.

How do I add GV texts to the Messaging app?

I have a Droid X running Froyo and have the GV app installed on my phone

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Enable SMS forwarding in GV. IIRC you can do this via the app and via the GV site. Just be aware that the forwarded texts and your replies will count against you (and you will be billed, if applicable).

Also be aware that if you compose directly from Messaging to contacts in your address book that messages will go out via your VZ number. To send texts via Messaging sing your GV number you'd need to reply to a contact that has already texted you via GV. Such contacts will appear to have 406 numbers (used by GV's SMS forwarding).