Add another "row" on the home

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by getget, Dec 21, 2009.

1. getget

getget New Member

Hello, i'm new to the Droid / Milestone community (French Azerty Milestone), and i'm wondering why there are only 4 "rows" on the home screen ...
    The droid has a 480x854 screen when other phones have a more conventional 320x480 screen, why don't we have 5 "rows" ?

There is a space between widgets and it's pure space-loss :/

It there a hack to choose the number (and size) of "rows" and "columns" on the home screen ?
  2. Spectral

Spectral New Member

I do not know of a hack that does that. And to be honest never even thought about that. It is quite a good idea though. It would have to involve new icons however to accommodate for the new amount allowed for rows.
  3. hebertm1

hebertm1 New Member

I have wondered about this quite a bit myself. What I have noticed is that the 4 rows and spacing is there so that when the screen goes into landscape the icons would not get bunched up with no where to go.

My older phone had Winmo on it and it had a problem when going to landscape the icons would have no where to go, but you were able to reposition them any where you wanted. You essentially had to make two separate layouts all of the time. If you added another icon to the desktop you had to arrange on both portrait and landscape, got to be a pain.
  4. JonKyu

JonKyu New Member

Im wonderng about this too. I really wished they fixed the spacing so we can fit more things on the screen. If anyone figures anything please share!!
  5. getget

getget New Member

On 320x480 screens, there are 4x4 "cells", so each cell is 80x103 pixel in size (i measured approximately 68px for top & bottom bars).

On a 480 x X screen, icons are 1.5 times bigger in terms of pixels in each direction, so each cell is 120x155px, assuming 102px for top & bottom, 5 rows + top & bottom make a total of 878px, so it doesn't fit without changing the size of the icons, or removing top & bottom bar.

When using a home replacement like home++, we can get rid of top bar, and bottom bar is smaller, it could fit... maybe home++ developper can work on this ?

Anyway, if we could use "standard" resolution cells, we should have 6x8 home screen (but with small widgets :))
  6. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

They also have to account for spacing when turned landscape.
  7. srt4mn

srt4mn New Member

It's possible without remaking the icons. Cyanogen has been doing this on the G1 for a while now (putting 5-6 icons on a row for his firmware). I am not sure how he does it, but it's possible.

EDIT:
    I might have been mistaken, I was thinking the launcher, not the home screen.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  8. acepelon

acepelon New Member

If you want more icons on the Home screen, use the More Icons Free Widget

This can theoretically quadruple the number of icons on a single screen with the paid version, triple with the free. Great program, never had a problem with it.
  9. jstrick5

jstrick5 New Member

I tried it. It's ok. Can't add more widgets only application links and shortcuts.
Search tags for this page
add bottom row for apps android
add more rows andriod

add more rows android

add more rows to android
add rows to android home screen
android change row and column
android increase icon rows
create a row home screen android
home row android home screen
how can you add additional apps to the bottom row on an andr
how do i add more rows and columns on samsung s3