AdBlock Will No Longer Work On Youtube

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

For a long time Adblock was one of the main reasons to root your device. There are now ways to enable adblock without root. There are even web browsers built to block ads. I have never been a proponent of adblock since it takes earnings away from the content creators I love. As a content creator myself I know the importance of well placed unintrusive ads.

Google has finally figured out a way to bypass adblock for youtube. Now ads are treated as pre-clips so they are essentially baked into the video which means it is now impossible to avoid them. If you have adblock enabled you won't be able to skip ads. This could be a huge pain since some ads are over a minute long. If you wanted to skip ads you could still whitelist Youtube in your adblock. In a survey nearly 28% of participants claimed they use adblock. This means publishers could be missing out on 1/4th of their potential revenue.

via Neowin

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I think you've been using Adblock for too long ModderX. The longest UNSKIPPABLE ads on YT are still only 15 seconds. Never a minute. That would be way to long and I'd pretty much be done with YT if that were the case.

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
Xposed Framework w/YouTube AdAway module :cool:

Asgard

Reaction score
I think you've been using Adblock for too long ModderX. The longest UNSKIPPABLE ads on YT are still only 15 seconds. Never a minute. That would be way to long and I'd pretty much be done with YT if that were the case.

Not true, I've seen an ad up to 3 minutes, the one with this guy Teio or telio or whatever his name is, showing off his Lamborghini and his books.

I've been forcing adblock to detect the newest ads for quite some time, but as someone mentioned, the Xposed module works even better

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Totally true and I've argued this on another forum.
YT would commit SUICIDE with 3 minute ads. I don't care who it is even if you LIKE ads, a 3 minute ad? A 3 minute ad would destroy YT. NO ONE is sitting through that.
About 6 month to a year ago YT did add the UNSKIPPABLE ad that companies pay a premium for but this is limited to 15 seconds.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Heh, YouTube ads are the one of the few things I root to get rid of. Luckily its still working in Chrome on Windows. No ads here.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Anything longer than 20 seconds and I bail.
I'm not going to watch 1 minute of crap to see a 3 minute clip.
I watch my TV delayed so I can skip the ads.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Xposed Framework w/YouTube AdAway module :cool:

That module really sucks if you chromecast though, because the ad still plays on your TV, but the module gets rid of your "Skip" button in the YouTube app :p

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
The Washington Post just disabled the ability to view them online if you have an ad blocker running.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
A bit off topic, bein sport won't let you watch their live stream if you are on a rooted device, it tells you on the screen.
Bein sport is a soccer channel "yes very popular sport here in the USA", not. You can use the app, but not the TV live streaming service, crazy. How would they know my Nexus 6 is rooted.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
A bit off topic, bein sport won't let you watch their live stream if you are on a rooted device, it tells you on the screen.
Bein sport is a soccer channel "yes very popular sport here in the USA", not. You can use the app, but not the TV live streaming service, crazy. How would they know my Nexus 6 is rooted.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
If you have Xposed look up rootcloak and see if that will help you.