adb

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by brendanstl, Dec 23, 2009.

1. brendanstl

brendanstl New Member

I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I could find adb for a download. I know myself and a lot of others have been asking this question for a few days and we have gotten no answers.
  2. phone

phone New Member

3. thed0cb

thed0cb New Member

I dont want to sound like a jerk, but I dont think you have been doing much reading. Its part of the SDK. Ive learned everything about this phone/linux through these forums.
  4. brendanstl

brendanstl New Member

I guess had I known that what sdk was then I would have known that adb was included. Sorry, been too tied up in trying to get this 2.1 update working and trying to iron out the bugs rather than reading about sdk when I figured it had nothing to do with what I was trying to achieve.
  5. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Once we have adb on our computer (Mac), what is the next step? I searched the forums for 'adb' but nothing came up.
  6. brendanstl

brendanstl New Member

JhakG, I'm sure thedOcb will come along and tell you he's not trying to come off as a jerk but if you read a little bit you can figure it out, thats what he told me. But I'm in the same boat, some of us dont have all day to research this stuff and luckily there is some good folks on here that can help you out without being a s#art$ss about it. I need to figure this out too. A lot of this terminology doesnt make any sense to me, I have to learn hands on, not read.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  7. phone

phone New Member

That's a pretty broad question but to get you started.....

Go to Menu/Setting/Applications/Development and check USB debugging. Connect your phone to computer via USB cable....

Run:

adb devices

If you see a serial number, then you should be good to go to start using adb with the phone.

If you run just "adb" it will spit out a usage page.

To navigate you're phone's filesystem you can run.

adb shell

You should be presented with "$" and if you have root on your phone, you can "su" to root. At this point you can run any system command your phone possesses, similar to being on the command line in Linux.
  8. Akira

Akira New Member

ok, when you say

run adb

what does that mean. open a terminal, double click something, or what?

;) thanx
  9. brendanstl

brendanstl New Member

Is it safe to say that once I install all the updates in sdk that it asks me and after doing all the other steps that you have stated, it will notice my phone?
  10. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Right now I do have my phone rooted. I updated to 2.1 but decided that it's just not ready yet and went back to 2.0.1. I'm now trying to go through the wifi tethering instructions, but to update to the new kernel, you have to do it through a recovery console with adb. I downloaded the SDK for Mac, but I'm pretty clueless from there. Will I just be opening a terminal on the Mac, connect the Droid, and then be running commands from adb on the Mac?

Brendan, I completely agree. There are some folks who remember what it was like to be new to all of this and are happy to lend a helping hand. Although I don't have much knowledge or experience with Android or Linux, I have been able to help a few people with backing up their phone with nandroid, updating to 2.1, and editing their notification bar to black and the notification shade to be transparent.
  11. phone

phone New Member

I'm talking from the command line.

So for example.....

$ adb devices
  12. brendanstl

brendanstl New Member

You helped me out quite a bit and I appreciate that. Just some people on here make me not want to ask questions.

To help you out a bit I opened sdk and started doing all the updates that it recommended when I went into the available packages tab. If you read the read me file that came with the file you downloaded it might help you a little bit. Is it hard to make the notification bar black?
  13. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Not all all man. Much easier than updating to 2.1!
  14. brendanstl

brendanstl New Member

LOL.... most things are easier than that was. You have a link to that?
  15. phone

phone New Member

In order to run adb I didn't have to do anything but unpack the source package and run it. I didn't have to install any updates or anything. I don't know how the Mac or Windows packages work.

If you have the adb executable on your system, the phone set up with "USB debugging" as I described, it should be able to read your device fine, when you plug it into your computer.

Just run:

$ adb devices

to verify. You should see a serial number, doesn't have to be your phones serial number. That means you're good to go to start using adb.
  16. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

I windows (xp), when you use the sdk setup command to download your api files and the 2.0.1 files, you need to also snag the usb drivers if you have not already installed them. Just keep in mind that the sdk setup on windows is a gui (windows and clicks). Once you are ready to invoke adb you are command line prompt and non-gui.

Craig
  17. thed0cb

thed0cb New Member

I am so sorry that you felt hurt by what I said. I merely am saying coming from a noob standpoint (Droid is my first android device), the search function helped me out alot.

When you ask a very broad question and someone come's along with an answer, you then ask another question. Then another, and another.

All I am saying is do some leg work.

You said you were trying to update to 2.1... well so was I. Throughout the installation tutorial it goes into adb commands and where to get files from. And through that it then leads you to other peices of information that you will need to obtain.

All in all... if you continue to ask someone to do something for you... then you will never learn.

But if you were to come in and ask a very precise question, an answer should given without hesitation.

P.S.
    I say no offense, because some people cant take a blunt, honest answer without getting butt hurt about it.
  18. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Butt hurt? I think I'll go to someone a bit older and more mature for help. ;)
  19. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I downloaded the SDK for Mac. The instructions said to run the android file that is under tools. Once I open that, it says "Last login: Mon Apr 6 20:40:22 on console
    /Users/JHGodwin/Desktop/android-sdk-mac_86/tools/android ; exit;
    Hank-local-3:~ JHGodwin$ /Users/JHGodwin/Desktop/android-sdk-mac_86/tools/android ; exit;
    Starting Android SDK and AVD Manager
    No command line parameters provided, launching UI.
    See 'android --help' for operations from the command line."

A windows then pops up that is labeled "Android SDK and AVD Manager". There is nothing listed under "List of virtual android devices". What is the next step to get connected with my phone?
  20. mammlouk

mammlouk New Member

You don't need to do anything with the SDK/AVD Manager, that's only really for if you are going to do development.

Inside the tools directory you should have an adb executeable. The adb executable is a command line tool so you will want to be in a terminal. If you have a terminal opened and you have aready gotten into the sdk's /tools directory you should be able to type:
    "adb devices" and press enter.
    This should list any devices found including your droid which should be connected with debugging enabled at this time. If that is the only android device listed you can then type:
    "adb shell"
    This will open a terminal on your phone remotely via the computer. You can use this terminal just as you would use Terminal Emulator on the droid itself.