ADB on Mac

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by JhankG, Dec 28, 2009.

1. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is anyone willing to walk me through how to get adb working on my mac and then how to connect my Droid with it? I am tired of always having to figure out how to do things with the terminal emulator app when people's instructions always involve using adb instead. I would prefer to do it via PMs or Gtalk since I am sure I'll have some questions along the way. I've been asking in other people's threads for the past week or so and just haven't had any offers so I thought I would start a new thread and try my luck again.
  2. AcidBurn

AcidBurn New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I would like a walkthrough on this as well. I have installed the Android SDK through Eclipse but thats as far as Ive got
  3. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody? How about if I pay for the service?
  4. Mynticelx

Mynticelx New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I looked FOREVER for these instructions. While I didn't write them, they definitely worked for me:

- Download the Android SDK for Macintosh at: Android SDK | Android Developers
    - Extract it
    - Download Fastboot for OSX (If not included with SDK)
    - Extract fastboot and place it in your /tools folder.
    - Open up a terminal window
    - type: pico .bash_profile (this will create a .bash_profile)
    - type the following in the new screen: export PATH=$
    {PATH}:<sdkfolder>/tools
    - Hit CNTRL + X
    - Hit Y (for yes to save)
    - It will return you to the terminal screen… type: exit
    - Restart terminal.
    - Then you can use your adb commands like you would on a PC. To test this, plug your device in (make sure its in debugging mode), then type "adb devices" in the new terminal window. It should show up with a number. This means you are good to go.
  5. javapop

javapop Member

Ratings:
    +0
    These worked for me as well. I'm running snow leopard, connecting my droid 2.0.1, no problems running ddms.

I also installed eclipse; and can get ddms to load on eclipse; but it doesn't seem to show my phone connected. WAIT.... if I disconnect, and make sure eclipse is loaded first, then connect device, it loads! You have to make sure the SDK path is correct in prefs.

Now that I'm in, I can pull files off easily, replacing is a different story. I know you have to be very careful not to change anything, so you don't brick it!

6. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Where should I extract the SDK to? I have no experience with command lines or terminals, so I need figure out what the path command would be depending on where I put it.
  7. fdxgnd

fdxgnd New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    On a Mac just put it on ur desktop. U can open sdk and go to tools from there. Then go to adb and open it. Plug in ur phone in USB debugging mode. In ur top toolbar on ur Mac click shell. Then click run command and type in adb shell. Ur in. To use adb u don't need eclipse. Just the sdk.
  8. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I downloaded SDK, extracted it to my desktop, downloaded fastboot and placed it in /tools. When I open a terminal window and type pico .bash_profile, I am getting no such file or directory. Now just a minute ago, I ran the pico .bash_profile command but did not have the fastboot, so nothing worked. How can I undo the pico .bash_profile and export PATH=$
    {PATH}:<sdkfolder>/tools commands that I ran before having downloaded fastboot so I can start over?
  9. Dandroid247

Dandroid247 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Hank I've been trying to get all this stuff worked out on my Mac as well. See if anything posted in my thread helps. I haven't made it home to try out any of the last suggestions that were made yet but I would be more than willing to share if I make any progress.
  10. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dan! I actually finally got it figured out with help from some other forum members, but I appreciate the offer. If there is anything I can (attempt) to help you with, feel free to PM me!
  11. Dandroid247

Dandroid247 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, i just got mine working too bro. I just need a big dictionary of what some of this stuff means cause I have so many questions. Like, whats a daemon?? And, do I have to type ./ for all commands? And, the whole shell thing I haven't fully grasped the concept of but I'm working on it for sure. Or su which I'm guessing means super user? So much to learn, I love it.
  12. mammlouk

mammlouk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anytime you are running a command that is not in a directory that's part of your PATH variable you need to either use the full path to the executable or use ./ while in the directory the file is located in.
  13. mammlouk

mammlouk Member

Ratings:
    +0
  14. Dandroid247

Dandroid247 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    so like when you run a cd command you don't have to use the ./ because you aren't actually performing a command inside a directory? But if run an install command then you have to use ./ because you are actually performing a directory command?

Is that even close to being right? I'm sorry if these are dumb questions for real . I'm also guessing that path variable means the entire string like the whole users/username/location/blah/blah right?
  15. Dandroid247

Dandroid247 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanx yo, that is gonna be lots of help, at least it should be anyway lol. I really do appreciate the patience with my questions. I just really get into this stuff and this being all new and me loving to learn makes for a dangerous combination. Im definitely gonna play around with this and see what I can do. I would really like to figure out the whole busybox thing to because I'm not quite sure what all it does but that is for another thread I think :)
Search tags for this page
adb connection error mac s4
adb download for mac
adb download mac

adb for mac

adb for mac download

adb mac

adb on mac

download adb mac
eclipse adb mac
mac adb connect