adb help

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by leftbrain99, Nov 22, 2010.

1. leftbrain99

leftbrain99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have no idea why I am in this bind, but I am growing ever frustrated. I have been using adb with my droid since December. Haven't needed it in recent months, but now I can't get adb to find my device at all. I did Reinstall windows 7 64-bit in that time period, but I have reinstalled the android sdk and I use it for app development using Eclipse. adb is a recognized command, I have tried the drivers found here:

USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola USA

This is all I get...

C:\Windows\system32>adb shell
    error: device not found

Any suggestions? Droid, running Sapphire 1.1.4, DarkEdge, Clockwork - can't think of anything else at all pertinent.

2. frostthejack

frostthejack Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you add the ask to your path

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. leftbrain99

leftbrain99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. And I'm running it out of the android apk tools directory. Anyway, if that were the problem, my error would be 'command not found'. I have adb installed. It doesn't see the device. I'm still spending hours running in circles today.

And, yes, USB Debugging is enabled on my phone, as well.

#3 leftbrain99, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  4. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Sounds like you are having driver issues. I believe if you plug the phone in, and access the SD card a generic driver gets installed/associated with the phone in that process. I have read that it can also happen if you do SDK things prior to installing the drivers as well.

To test this theory, open up device manager (control panel > device manager) and see if you have something that says ADB interface or something that says Android Device (could possibly be Android phone I don't remember). You want ADB interface and if you have that, my guess is wrong, and I am not exactly sure what the problem could be.

To correct this what I did was something like this:
    Go into device manager and click on Android Device and right click and click Update Driver Software.

Select "Browse my computer for software".

On the next page click "Let me pick from a list....".

Make sure "show compatible hardware" is checked, and you should have a list of options there one of which being something like "Mot composite ADB interface".

Finally click next and there will be an installation, and I assume you will need to reboot.

You then should be good, hopefully.

5. leftbrain99

leftbrain99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. It's android adb in the device list. And I've uninstalled and reinstalled drivers all day, too.

Thanks for the suggestions, so far.

6. leftbrain99

leftbrain99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No clue why it wasn't working, and I'm not sure how exactly I got it working, but I did. 24 hours later.

Removed android sdk and all drivers. Reinstalled and the driver that loaded automatically showed up as Android ADB Interface in the device list. No worky. Deleted that completely and it found another driver that showed up as Motorola Composite ADB Interface. Worked. So, one driver was getting in my way, but I'm not sure why or how. For now, that's all that I care about, though.

Thanks again for the support.