Adb help

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Anarchist310000, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Anarchist310000

Ratings:
    +0
    Im trying to use adb to push a modified version of my framewrok-res file to my phone but i keep getting the error that there is not enough space on the system if its tlking about internal memory i gots plenty so is there any fix for this problem?

2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    There are a few ROMs and themes that really push the envelope, cyanogen + nextheme (I believe it was this one) that can leave you with right around 1mb free in system (it comes with a bunch of ringtones). E2A Although I really doubt this is the problem, if you are just pushing back a modified version of the original framework (which shouldn't be that much larger).

Try this to see how much space you have:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    df /system

3. Anarchist310000

Ratings:
    +0
    that is exactly what i have going right now well seems i gotta switch themes then or is there a way i can clear up some memory

4. ashkev843

ashkev843 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I run cyanogen and have never had a problem pushing my modify framework back on. What program did you use to rezip the framework-res.apk?

5. Slider46

Slider46 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The other alternative is to....

1. Make a backup!
    2. Boot into SPRecovery
    3. Mount options > Mount /system/
    4. Use ADB Shell > su > to remove /system/framework-res/ (or whatever directory you're trying to replace)
    5. Use ADB push to push the modified framework-res to the /system/ partition
    6. Don't forget to UNMOUNT /system/ and then reboot

You're basically removing and replacing instead of overwriting.

6. ashkev843

ashkev843 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    and i always boot into recovery and then mount the system and use
    adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework and then unmount and reboot.

If you are on clockwork the system mount is in the partiion heading on the menu.

7. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Sorry about the delay, got distracted making sure my daughter made the bus. As others have been saying I don't know how much of this will be necessary, because at least in theory it should push back. Modification usually results in a little difference in size, but rarely a large amount. Clearing space isn't really a bad thing, so you may need this down the road anyhow. So without further ado...

You don't have to ditch the theme, there are ways around this. The easiest way if you like the theme, is to clear out some of the unwanted ringtones. I assume they are still there, it has been a while since I ran that combination.

You may want to make a backup, just in case something goes wrong.

If you have something like root explorer, it makes this process a little easier. You can browse to /system/media/audio/ and browse through the folders there and get rid of a few of the files. You shouldn't have to get rid of too many to accomplish what you want to accomplish, but if you want to spring clean go for it :) Be careful though and not delete one you wanted. You can listen to them from there by just tapping on them. Remember you will need to set the /system partition in RW to remove the files by clicking the top right hand button.

If you don't have a file manager, you can do it through command line, but it isn't going to be as quick.

Basically what you will need to do is something like this.

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    cd /system/media/audio/ringtones/
    ls -l
    ls = lists files and folders in the directory you are in, in this case the ringtone folder. The -l isn't necessary, but it shows the sizes of the files, which in this case may be helpful in your decision of which ones to trash. Also, in this method you will have to use the ringtone browser on the phone to listen to them (not really a big deal though).

Know that you can cd /sytem/media/audio/notifications/ and cd /system/media/audio/alarms/ for more audio to remove.

You can then, mount the system rw, and rm the file.

So in a mock run of what I would do in a command line deletion.
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    cd /system/media/audio/ringtones/
    ls -l
    mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    rm Ringtone.ogg
    rm Ringtone_Two.ogg
    cd /system/media/audio/alarms/
    ls -l
    rm Alarm.ogg
    rm Alarm2.ogg
    cd /system/media/audio/notificaitons/
    ls -l
    rm Notification.ogg
    mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    sync
    reboot
    The reboot and sync probably aren't necessary.

Search tags for this page
adb df
adb get free space
adb how to unmount

adb shell df

adb umount

adb unmount

adb unmount system
can't unmount system in adb shell
live wallpaper
unmount adb