ADB does not find device

PCRoger

Reaction score
Ok, I had it working once, used the screen capture program.

Now if I try running ddms.bat, it says 'adb start-server' failure

If I run adb devices, I get "error: protocol fault (no status)"

I have the Motorola Droid X 4.6.0 drivers and it shows up in Device Manager. I can explore the SD card with no problem,

Debugging is On, phone is in "PC Mode"

Help?

thanks.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If it was just not seeing your phone it would just say devices and be blank. Not sure what that error you are getting means. Try switching your phone from pc mode to media sync mode.

OP
P

PCRoger

Reaction score
If it was just not seeing your phone it would just say devices and be blank. Not sure what that error you are getting means. Try switching your phone from pc mode to media sync mode.

Tried that, Windows showed the device installed for use and all that.

Same error message from ADB devices command.

thanks.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
You already tried uninstalling adb and putting it back. You running as administrator right? What OS you runnnig?

OP
P

PCRoger

Reaction score
You already tried uninstalling adb and putting it back. You running as administrator right? What OS you runnnig?

Yes, reinstalled ADB.

Windows XP as administrator

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
This is from another user on a different post. Maybe try that

Lots of pages here that I haven't read all of them to see if someone mentioned this, but I had a similar but different problem. At one point I bricked the thing, sbf would not flash whatsoever (tried multiple sbfs). Eventually RSDlite said it was done, but the phone still said "SW Update in progress". After trying to reboot the only thing I could get was "Code Corrupt". Flashing or anything else wouldn't work at all. The way I fixed it (tried 3x to make sure it worked perfectly...i bricked a lot lol):

Open the folder RSDlite is in, and delete any files that start with a date and end in flexlog, ie "09_14_22_10_21_FlexLog". Then delete any files that start with Flasherrorlog, like "FlashErrorLog09_14_22_10_21".
Uninstall the moto drivers via the install/uninstall exe
Uninstall RSDlite via the install/uninstall exe
You can restart your computer at this point if you want but I'm not sure its necessary
Reinstall moto drivers
Reinstall RSDlite, and don't forget to copy over the pst_flash file
Go into bootloader mode and flash the_gift w/ RSDlite. This can take ~15 minutes from clicking start to phone being rebooted

I'm not sure if all those steps are 100% necessary, but that's what definitely worked for me. If you're stuck and out of other options, give it a try.