ADB can't find device

cheez

Reaction score
I can't get ADB interface to show up in device manager when the Droid is plugged in. I did install the latest drivers from the Moto site, and I get Motorola USB Networking and Motorola USB Composite Device to show when I connect as a Media Device, but no ADB. If I plug in my Droid 1, adb works just fine. When I plug the D4 in, there's no indication of anything ADB-ish; no Unknown Devices or anything like that. Just nada.
Debugging is on (even toggled it a few times to check) and I've tried it in both camera and MTP modes. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and Motocast and rebooting, but no joy.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get ADB to stick? I'm tearing my hair out w/o root, and I leave on a lengthy business trip this weekend besides. :-(

PC is Win 7 x64. Huge thanks in advance for any help you can give me :biggrin:

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Reinstall the motorola USB drivers.

I'm running Win7 x64 and had no issues with ADB, but I had to make sure I was using the latest drivers (my Motodrivers were a few revision numbers lower so had to download newer). Just made up numbers for this example but I was on like 5.24 and needed 5.54 (just made up numbers......don't recall the real numbers).

Check for new(er) Motorola USB drivers and install them. I could talk to my Droid and Droid 3 but not my Droid 4 until I updated them.

OP
C

cheez

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions - no luck so far. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and going through all the USB ports on my machine. Even tried adb on linux just to make sure it wasn't a driver issue; nothing there either.
I do have USB debugging on according to the notification area banner, but here's the thing - I wonder if it isn't REALLY on. Is it possible that it's telling me USB debug is on when it isn't? Is there some other way for me to check status or force it on or something?

OP
C

cheez

Reaction score
Update: So I took my laptop and went to the nearest VZW store. Plugged it into a display D4; ADB works. Plugged it into a RAZR; ADB works. Plugged it into my D4; still no ADB. So apparently the ICS update somehow borked my D4's USB debug ability. VZW is sending me a new one, and we'll see how that goes. Perhaps that's part of why they supposedly stopped the OTA rollouts.

OP
C

cheez

Reaction score
ADB worked just fine on the refurb D4. Rooted it in GB, restored with TB, used Rootkeeper, did the OTA update, rooted, safestrapped, configured.
Doing a factory reset on my original D4 allowed it to be seen by ADB as well, so I could have just done that, it turns out, but since it somehow lost root when it lost ADB, I wasn't sure I could have restored it with TB afterward if factory reset didn't fix things. Didn't want to take the risk since I was about to leave town.

Thanks to everyone who offered tips! :)