Adapter for car stereo aux port?

OP
ntimid8r

ntimid8r

Reaction score
The Target here only had a Belkin brand and it was $9.99. Best Buy had some weird off name brand for the same price. I haven't checked Walmart yet, but still looks like ordering online will be cheaper than locally. SoCal ain't cheap for anything. :icon_cussing:

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The Target here only had a Belkin brand and it was $9.99. Best Buy had some weird off name brand for the same price. I haven't checked Walmart yet, but still looks like ordering online will be cheaper than locally. SoCal ain't cheap for anything. :icon_cussing:

if it was dynex thats the best buy exclusive brand.

OP
ntimid8r

ntimid8r

Reaction score
if it was dynex thats the best buy exclusive brand.
It may have been that brand....I only recall seeing gray and blue coloring on the printed cardboard. Since I never heard of them I sorta file them in the "underground sweat shop" brand. In other words, low quality. :eek:

metalmenance

Reaction score
One thing to remember is you get what you pay for just like anything else
cheap wires mean cheap sound, does your card have dollar store speaker wire? if so then go for it but in my book 10bucks for a cable that will last a long time and pass sound through nice is well worth it. I mean simply I have a 500+ car stereo and a 500+ Droid phone, im not using a dollar cable to connect them, mine is a monster wire, about the thickness of the droid charger cable and it sounds great in my camaro, just remember not to blast droid volumne about 3/4 up is perfect for good sound

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
One thing to remember is you get what you pay for just like anything else
To a degree. Higher price doesn't always mean higher quality. There are tons of overpriced* cables out there. The $10 cables in this thread would fall in that category IMO as there are plenty of cheaper equivalents.

Let's not even get started on Monster Cable.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-between-monster-cable-and/

* If you can't tell the difference in a blind A-B test then the more expensive option is overpriced.

Last edited:
OP
ntimid8r

ntimid8r

Reaction score
I went to Radio Shack today and got their 6' cable for $7.49. They had a 3' for $6.49 but I'm a big spender and thought the extra length will come in handy someday. :icon_ rasta:

I'm impressed with how easy it works...just set the car stereo to aux then opened up the music player and I was hearing my Droid through the car speakers. Life is good!:icon_ lala:

noles200

Reaction score
You can generally find these on Amazon for a dollar or two. Same with HDMI cables. I've purchased a couple aux cables and 4 hdmi cables. You'd never know they cost that little. It's amazing that you can spend $2 on an hdmi cable and they try to sell them in at a "discount merchant" such as Wal-Mart for $30. Good mark up there.

jkayner

Reaction score
maybe i am just picky, but i think they output from the droid sounds like $h!t. There is no bass and everything is not crisp.

and for those looking for good cables at a great cost, go to monoprice . com. I buy all my cables from them and they are great quality.

crowell392

Reaction score
you can hear your calls on the phone like this also you just have to put the phone on speaker phone.

pqmomba8

Reaction score
Hi. Newbie here and must be doing som'g wrong. Purchased the said cable (fine, from RS...it was $4.99), plugged one end into the car radio's AUX jac, the other into the Droid X ready to hear my Pandora in all it's glory and ..........., crickets chirping, nada, zilch. I know it's definitely not the phone as when I unplug, I can hear it playing fine.

Any suggestions? Many thanks!

heem

Reaction score
Hi. Newbie here and must be doing som'g wrong. Purchased the said cable (fine, from RS...it was $4.99), plugged one end into the car radio's AUX jac, the other into the Droid X ready to hear my Pandora in all it's glory and ..........., crickets chirping, nada, zilch. I know it's definitely not the phone as when I unplug, I can hear it playing fine.

Did you press whatever button on your stereo is required to put the stereo in 'Aux' Mode? On my toyota factory stereo its on the bottom right

pqmomba8

Reaction score

Did you press whatever button on your stereo is required to put the stereo in 'Aux' Mode? On my toyota factory stereo its on the bottom right

Nah, as soon as I put the cable into the jack, 'AUX' immediately lit up on the display. (Perhaps there is a button I have to press, I will take a look, but I saw 'AUX' displayed, so I assumed, it's ready...)

Thanks!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You haven't totally ruled out the phone. How do headphones work with it? Have you tried using the cable to connect the phone to something else? It's entirely possible that there's a problem with the headphone jack, etc.

Have you used this cable with anything else to test the cable?

pqmomba8

Reaction score
You haven't totally ruled out the phone. How do headphones work with it? Have you tried using the cable to connect the phone to something else? It's entirely possible that there's a problem with the headphone jack, etc.

Have you used this cable with anything else to test the cable?

Thanks for your input everyone. I'm pretty sure at this point that the issue is on the car stereo side. When I plug in headphones into the AUX jack, nothing happens as well. (Though AUX is lit up on the display...) It's not the Droid X issue it looks like. thanks again.....