Ad-free hack for "words with friends"

GreenSnow

Reaction score
Anyone know of a hack to remove ads from 'words with friends'?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

PutterPlace

Reaction score
Actually, adfree android won't work to remove ads in Words With Friends. This is because of the way that the developers setup the game. If it can't reach their remote ad servers, it will display locally saved ads regardless. It's quite annoying to say the least....this is the exact reason that I've modified the game to remove the ads, and have been doing so with all of their updates for over six months now.

Code:
http://www.filesonic.com/file/3104151834

That's the latest version as of right now (4.54). If you already have WWF from the market installed on your device, you may need to clear the data and uninstall before installing with that APK. The reason for that is because of the modified signature which doesn't match that of the one in the market. I'm not sure of this forum's policies on cracked apps, so if I find out that they're allowed after browsing through the forum, then I'll add DroidForums to my list of sites that I keep up-to-date with the latest version. ;) If it's not allowed, then feel free to send me a PM and I can keep you updated with any new versions as they're released.

OP
G

GreenSnow

Reaction score
Sweet! Ill let you know how this works for me

UPDATE: an error comes up saying 'error parseing the package' -no idea what that means

Last edited:

PutterPlace

Reaction score
Thanks for posting back. Did you clear the data from the previously installed WWF and then uninstall it before installing that one? If not, lemme know and I'll give you some commands you can run to do that. I'm about to head out for a few hours, but I'll be here to check back on this post when I return. :)

EDIT: Also what version of Android are you running?

Last edited:
OP
G

GreenSnow

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, i have the D3 running steel droid v.3, and yes I hit 'clear data' before I uninstalled the app from the 'applications' menu

Edit: steel droid is based off 2.3.4, if you are unfamiliar

PutterPlace

Reaction score
Oh ok...so you're running on gingerbread then. I wonder if the APK from the market is different on your device for some reason....? If you could install WWF from the market on your device, and then pull the APK and send it to me via PM, I'd be more than happy to take a look at it. :D

Last edited:
OP
G

GreenSnow

Reaction score
Sweeet. Okay sounds, ill do that net time I can get on a desktop, thanks ahead of time

OP
G

GreenSnow

Reaction score
I am having a hard time getting the current apk, I can't find it anywhere, or is there a way to extract it from my phone?

PutterPlace

Reaction score
Yes, you can extract it from your phone. If it's installed on your phone, and not on your SD card, you can issue the following ADB command in your command prompt on your computer to get the name of the APK:

Code:
adb shell ls /data/app/*com.zynga.words*

That will tell you the name of the apk along with its path. The full path from my phone is /data/app/com.zynga.words-1.apk

Now to pull it from your device just issue the following command, replacing the text FULLPATH to the path shown from the above command including the apk filename.

Code:
adb pull FULLPATH

For example, the command I'd issue for my phone is
Code:
adb pull /data/app/com.zynga.words-1.apk

If you don't have ADB installed on your computer, you could also use a root-enabled file explorer (such as Root Explorer) on your phone to navigate to the directory /data/app/ and then copy the APK (the one that starts with com.zynga.words) to your SD card. Then from your SD card, you can get it on your computer. If you need further help, let me know.

Last edited: