Active display stopped working

Gary37716

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Maxx
A couple days back my active display stopped working. If I turn it off in settings, reboot, and turn it back on it'll start working for a short period of time.....maybe one or two swipes, and then it stops again.

I thought about uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but I haven't figured out how to uninstall it, or if you even can. I also wiped the cache partition, but that didn't help either. I haven't installed any new apps recently, so I don't believe there are any conflicts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So the screen doesn't pulse for new notifications?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Do you have any sleep timers set for it? It won't show notifications when that's set...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Also, what apps are listed in Active Display > Select Which Apps To Appear? I remember reading a post on the moto forums a while back that an app named POF was causing Active Display to stop unless the phone was rebooted, then after a day or two it stopped pulsing again. It might take a while but you could start unchecking apps that you want to see display on Active Notification and see if any particular one makes it work correctly when it is not checked.

As far as uninstalling, that was a system app that shipped with the phone so I don't think it can be uninstalled.

OP
G

Gary37716

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Maxx
Also, what apps are listed in Active Display > Select Which Apps To Appear? I remember reading a post on the moto forums a while back that an app named POF was causing Active Display to stop unless the phone was rebooted, then after a day or two it stopped pulsing again. It might take a while but you could start unchecking apps that you want to see display on Active Notification and see if any particular one makes it work correctly when it is not checked.

As far as uninstalling, that was a system app that shipped with the phone so I don't think it can be uninstalled.

I deselected all of the apps, so the only thing that it should display (to the best of my knowledge) is the unlock icon and current time when the phone is moved, bumped, etc. It won't even display that.....just completely blank unless I press the power button.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Well that's strange. Definitely something weird going on there. What about Safe Mode? Now that you have everything unchecked, maybe check one thing, text, g mail, etc. Then put the phone in Safe Mode and see if the notification pulses for that one item.

OP
G

Gary37716

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Maxx
Well that's strange. Definitely something weird going on there. What about Safe Mode? Now that you have everything unchecked, maybe check one thing, text, g mail, etc. Then put the phone in Safe Mode and see if the notification pulses for that one item.

I tried safe mode with nothing selected, but it didn't change. I didn't try it with something selected though, so I can try that.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
This is gonna seem odd...but is your screen clean? If your IR sensors are blocked it won't come on

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
One other idea I thought of is go to settings > apps > all apps > find active display and select Force Stop. Reboot and see if that makes a difference. If that doesn't help I am out of ideas. Other than a factory reset, but I hope you don't have to try that.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
It's acting like it thinks it's face down. The screen doesn't come on like that. Might need to do a FDR.

OP
G

Gary37716

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Maxx
One other idea I thought of is go to settings > apps > all apps > find active display and select Force Stop. Reboot and see if that makes a difference. If that doesn't help I am out of ideas. Other than a factory reset, but I hope you don't have to try that.

I couldn't get it to stop by using the "force stop" button. I had to first disable it, then stop it....but it didn't seem to make any difference. It's still not working. I'm mulling over a factory reset.