Activating SIM was a REAL Chore!

mikespe

Reaction score
I'm finally getting to posting my experience of the first day with my new USED Galaxy Nexus. I went to Verizon to get the new sim card since the one in my Bionic is the larger SIM card & wouldn't fit in the Nexus. The girl at VZN was very helpful & nice and got the new SIM & programmed it & put it in my phone. But it wouldn't activate. She rebooted but it still wouldn't activate. since my phone was pre rooted & running a custom rom I began to worry they would begin investigating & say I needed to be stock. But she called the manager & he said to change some settings in their computer & try again. He also said try standing in another part of the store since there are some "dead zones" in the building. Still no go...now we're going on an hour by now! ANOTHER rep came over...a nerdy geeky looking guy and began looking over. In his squeaky geek voice he's like "This phone MIGHT be rooted! It's running software I've never seen before & it doesn't look like our other phones!" I began to chuckle because I figured they would at least KNOW how to check for root if need be. Now I'm thinking the phone might be damaged & I would have to file a paypal claim with the person I bought it from! Now we're on 2 HOURS with me in the store!!! So the girl calls VZN customer support & explains the situation. First thing she asked is if my old phone was turned off...no it wasn't but the girl said she has switched SIM's before without turning off the old phone. I turned it off and I thought they would just try again. But the rep on the phone said to take the SIM to one of the demo models & put the sim in there to activated...to check if it's a bad sim. She used a Razr MAX to activate it. FINALLY the sim activated! So she put it back in my phone and all went well after that. I finished up with her putting on the screen protector & paying for my extended battery & case...

NOW for my issue...LOL! When I go to My Verizon online & log in it shows my phone as a RAZR MAX and NOT the Nexus!! I called VZN customer support & the guy told me to pull the sim while the phone is still on then turn off the phone, put the sim back in & power up. Well you CAN'T pull the sim without taking the battery out so you HAVE to power down the phone! But I did that anyway. It didn't work...still shows a Razr Max as my phone. The rep did mention before we hung up that if that doesn't work he was worried that it was my phone that has an issue.

How can I get My Verizon to show my Nexus instead of the Razr Max and is there an issue with my phone? (sorry for the long post!)

Thanks!

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Most likely the Verizon servers just need to update to your new device. This will occur when they do their daily/weekly restart, wouldn't worry.

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
Most likely the Verizon servers just need to update to your new device. This will occur when they do their daily/weekly restart, wouldn't worry.

Thanks for the info but I'm curious as to why the VZN rep didn't say that to me? He said it might be my phone but I don't see how everything can work fine yet have it be the phone. I activated the SIM friday evening...so I'm assuming not until next Friday they will restart their servers?

GoBears

Reaction score
How old was the custom rom? The earlier ones did not sign into verizon correctly and therefore would not activate new sims. I had the same problem.

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
How old was the custom rom? The earlier ones did not sign into verizon correctly and therefore would not activate new sims. I had the same problem.

Liquid v1.1 ......I have since updated to v1.25

Cripton805

Reaction score
When I went to my VZW for a sim and they didnt even have to put it in my phone to activate. I just asked for it and they asked for my number.

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
OK Guys...I need your advice...Like I mentioned above, My Verizon was showing the Razr Max as my phone because that's the phone used to activate my sim card. Well I went in today to try another sim to see if my phone would activate it. It wouldn't & the guy called VZN again and they tried forcing it at the network end but that still didn't work. They did however use a Nexus this time to activate the new SIM so at least it won't throw up a red flag at VZN's end.

Here are my options (what I need advice on):

1) Keep the phone as is with the ESN on my phone not matching the one on my account...Will this cause any issues in the long run?

2) Ask for a refund from the ebay seller I purchased the phone from...after have a taste of the NExus I don't want to go back to the Bionic!!!

3) They offered me insurance on the phone when I first brought it in on Friday since they were offering open enrollment. Do I file a claim that I lost the phone & get a "new/refurbished" phone?....Not sure I feel comfortable doing this PLUS I will need to pay the $99 deductible bringing my total cost for the phone to $425 plus all the extra accessories I bought.

To be honest, if I won't have anything to worry about in the future I wouldn't mind keeping the phone with the SIM activated from the other phone. I mean if there won't be any problems in the future why go through all the hassles of returning it & buying a new one?

You advice is very welcomed! Thanks!

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
Also, the Nexus is unlocked and rooted...would that cause issues with activation? Should I unroot & re-lock the phone to activate then root/unlock it again?

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
In my opinion, if you are taking the phone into Verizon for them to be handling, I would definitely return to stock, unroot and relock. If they catch it, you will void the warranty. Also, the fact that it is rooted could be the problem with activation.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
In my opinion, if you are taking the phone into Verizon for them to be handling, I would definitely return to stock, unroot and relock. If they catch it, you will void the warranty. Also, the fact that it is rooted could be the problem with activation.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

How so? Plus I purchased this phone USED so I OWN the phone...now VZN doesn't have to support the phone since it's rooted...but there is no "warranty"

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
How so? Plus I purchased this phone USED so I OWN the phone...now VZN doesn't have to support the phone since it's rooted...but there is no "warranty"

Well technically it still has the one year manufacturer's warranty, so long as Verizon doesn't know you rooted it. Rooting it voids the warranty. The phone will have a warranty no matter who owns it so long as it is not OFFICIALLY voided. TECHNICALLY it is voided now, but not officially until a VZW rep catches it. The phone can be unrooted and relocked so that Verizon never even knows it was rooted, and they will still support it. Unless they already caught you and have flagged your account accordingly.

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
Well technically it still has the one year manufacturer's warranty, so long as Verizon doesn't know you rooted it. Rooting it voids the warranty. The phone will have a warranty no matter who owns it so long as it is not OFFICIALLY voided. TECHNICALLY it is voided now, but not officially until a VZW rep catches it. The phone can be unrooted and relocked so that Verizon never even knows it was rooted, and they will still support it. Unless they already caught you and have flagged your account accordingly.

I asked the rep about warranty & they said no because I bought it from ebay...but I did get the insurance when they said they were offering open enrollment. Would I need to go through Samsung for the manufacturer's warranty?

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I asked the rep about warranty & they said no because I bought it from ebay...but I did get the insurance when they said they were offering open enrollment. Would I need to go through Samsung for the manufacturer's warranty?

You shouldn't have to, as long as you dont bring up that you bought it from eBay again. :p They won't know where you got it otherwise, they'll just take care of it, usually no questions asked. But if they for some reason do refuse you, then you should be able to go to Samsung for the warranty no problem.

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to, as long as you dont bring up that you bought it from eBay again. :p They won't know where you got it otherwise, they'll just take care of it, usually no questions asked. But if they for some reason do refuse you, then you should be able to go to Samsung for the warranty no problem.

Thanks for that info...But a reply I got from another forum has me thinking. Some roms removed the Verizon Login and you can't use the My Verizon app because of it. Is it possible that is what's causing the SIM not to communicate to the servers? I mean that's what the Verizon Login is for...to verify things like the My Verizon & NFL apps. I did this fix and now both of those apps work: [MOD] [LTE] [UPDATE 1/6/12] Install Working MyVerizon App to <some> Custom ROMs +Allows NFL Mobile From Market to Connect! - [CDMA] Galaxy Nexus Development - RootzWiki . Is it possible the SIM will now communicate to the VZN servers?

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Thanks for that info...But a reply I got from another forum has me thinking. Some roms removed the Verizon Login and you can't use the My Verizon app because of it. Is it possible that is what's causing the SIM not to communicate to the servers? I mean that's what the Verizon Login is for...to verify things like the My Verizon & NFL apps. I did this fix and now both of those apps work: [MOD] [LTE] [UPDATE 1/6/12] Install Working MyVerizon App to <some> Custom ROMs +Allows NFL Mobile From Market to Connect! - [CDMA] Galaxy Nexus Development - RootzWiki . Is it possible the SIM will now communicate to the VZN servers?

That is very possible. I mean, like I said, though it may be a pain, unrooting and going back to stock, at the very least, is probably your best bet. You may not have to relock the bootloader though.