Activating old phone

Saabaruski

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have searched these forums for a lot of info and finally have a question to ask rather than just search for.

My battery died so I ordred a couple of new ones off of Amazon, paid for the expediated shipping and should recieve them sometime in the next week. In the mean time my droid won't work unless I have the battery out of the phone and on the charger. Since I NEED a cell phone I was thinking about activating an old phone for a couple of days while I wait. I just want to make sure that I won't mess anything up as far as my Google Account goes. I use Voice and have all my contacs synced through my Google Acct.

Thanks for any info.

CN: Can I activate an old dumb phone while I wait for a new battery in the mail without affecting my Google syncs?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you will be OK. Your apps, mail, and contacts are associated with your Google account so if you activate an old flip or something that does not use your Google account you should be fine.

Let us know how this goes for you.

altimax98

Reaction score
Verizon could give you issues though... be sure to contact them and tell them what's going on

Sent from one of those missing Droids

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
My sense is the data/text may be the only issue but Altimax98 is correct, check with VZW.

OP
S

Saabaruski

Reaction score
Well I know the iPhone is the self proclaimed Jesus device, but my Droid has appeared to resurrect itself. I had the battery out of the phone all day yesterday and was just running off the charger and when I went to put the battery back in to head home it fired right up. I coach soccer and it rained pretty hard my last game(wasn't raining when we started) so maybe it just had some moisture issues. Regardless my phone appears to be fine so I cancelled my quick ship batteries but plan on purchasing a new one just in case. FWIW, I checked with Verizon and they just gave me the *228 talk, so I think I would have been ok activating an old phone.

Thanks for the replies!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Terrific! Glad you got your phone working and saved some money.

Mike

tommyb38

Reaction score
You can put the "dumb" phone on the plan while you are waiting. ill might look a little funny because of the starting and stopping of the unlimited data plan, but there is no problem doing it. You could switch phones everyday if you wanted.

Benton

Reaction score
I switched Droid smartphone to Windows smartphone back to Droid when my original Droid went swimming with me a couple of months ago. I re-activated my old Omnia to use for a day while I waited on the replacement Droid. I realize this is a difference scenario than going from Droid to dumb phone to Droid again but once I received the replacement Droid all my contacts from my Google account as well as all my downloaded apps automatically loaded to the replacement device, of course I had to re-tweek my old settings.