Achieving Permanent Root on Fascinate.

Steeeler

Reaction score
For those of you worried about rooting or are very new to this whole process I will write up a walk through for newbies when I get home from work today if nobody has done it already.

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate using Tapatalk

How about a walk through on ADB for not newbies, technically challenged, and extremely frustrated people?

For some reason, I just cant get ADB to load on my laptop. Keeping getting a java error.

phyziks

Reaction score
As a noobie, this is starting to make a little sense. Only problem.... When im in my command promtp I can run the adb command to find my device which it does. once i get to the "adb push" command, the get the message "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, etc..." any ideas??

i mean this is the first android phone i've owned and such, but i'm pretty sure you have to cd c:\(wherever your android sdk tools folder is) first and then do adb push. let me know if that works.

mrdroid

Reaction score
For those of you worried about rooting or are very new to this whole process I will write up a walk through for newbies when I get home from work today if nobody has done it already.

How about a walk through on ADB for not newbies, technically challenged, and extremely frustrated people?

For some reason, I just cant get ADB to load on my laptop. Keeping getting a java error.

Yea I'll write it up start to finish.

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate using Tapatalk Pro.

Steeeler

Reaction score

Dude, you are awesome!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am curious why other samsung galaxy s phones are rooted using update.zip file but the fascinate requires adb

[video=youtube;nsoXdhfnHmg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsoXdhfnHmg]YouTube - How to Root Samsung Vibrant! (and other Samsung Galaxy S phones)[/video]

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Darkonion on xda made a great guide for the d2, and since the method is similar I am going to use his guide but change stuff for samsung

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This was a guide made by Darkonion on xda for the droid 2.

Very Important: Make sure you copy the commands exactly, the exact amount of spaces and ensure you have the everything exact or it will not go through.
***NOTE: Proceed at your own risk. I and the providers of this code are not responsible for anything you do to your phone!***

Setup:
- Install adb (here) and Samsung drivers for windows
[Installed and did an update for ADB. ADB comes in a .rar file. I extracted it to C:\, ran the set-up file, and had it update. Folder for adb by default was “android-sdk-windows.” I had drivers installed earlier for Motorola when I was setting up EasyTether. They are newer drivers than the link listed above. Didn't need to install them.]

- Download attached archive: see rootzwiki
- Extract to a directory, I used c:\fascinateRoot
[There should be four files. It is easier if you extract these 4 files to the “tools” folder in your adb/sdk folder that you just extracted to C:\. In other words, extract the 4 files to c:\android-sdk-windows\tools]

- Make sure you have USB degugging enabled
[This is under Settings->Applications->Development, check USB debugging]

- Change connection to PC Mode
[When you plug your phone into your computer with USB, there should be a notice in the “window blind.” Select the USB connection detected and choose PC Mode. Phone should disconnect from the computer and reconnect again.]

Process:
- Open command prompt
[Start Menu->Run->cmd.exe]

- cd c:/wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is
[ex. cd c:/android-sdk-windows/tools
Your command line prompt should now say something like:
C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>]

- adb devices (to verify the connection)
[You should see a device listed.]

[Skip this line]- cd c:/fascinateRoot

[These next 4 steps, after entering each one, you'll see an amount of data transferred.]
- - cd c:/fascinateRoot

- adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
- adb shell
[The command line should now start with a “$” instead of c:\] <('.'<) [Ignore Kirby]

- cd data/local/tmp
<('.'<) [Ignore Kirby]
[after typing in this next command, it won't really say anything, it'll just spit back out your command. This is normal.
ex.

$ cd data/local/tmp
cd data/local/tm
- chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
<('.'<) [Ignore Kirby]

- ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
[Type this exactly like it is.] <('.'<) [Ignore Kirby]

- let the process run until it 'kicks' you out (may take a minute or two)
[This actually took me awhile before the program kicked me out. Go do something productive for 5 minutes then come back. I actually washed dishes and cleaned up my room while I waited. You'll know when it is done when you it'll kick you back to the DOS command. It'll look something like this:
c:\android-sdk-windows\tools>

- adb devices
(to verify the connection)
- adb shell
[The command line should now start with a "#" instead of c:\] <('.'<) [Ignore Kirby]
(you should now have a # prompt, if not return to ./rage step above)
-exit

cd c:/fascinateRoot
- adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk

- adb push su /system/bin/su

- adb push busybox /system/bin/busybox

- adb shell

[All these next steps, make sure you type them as is here. The command line prompt is now # like stated in the step above. The commands will act like the “$” commands above where you enter it, and it'll spit you the command back out.]

- chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

- chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox

- exit

Last edited:

mrdroid

Reaction score

Dude, you are awesome!

Writing up a proper guide is going to take a little time... I threw together a quick video on the FascinateForum for anyone that needs to know how to setup ADB quickly. ADB Videohttp://www.fascinateforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110&p=360&viewfull=1#post360

OP
FrostMan

FrostMan

Reaction score
I can confirm that the rootzwiki guide and Ryan's lagfix both work (although we might need to lower it too 500mb on our fascinates, as opposed to the 1gb which it is at now)

cap201009101513.jpg

horangeez

Reaction score
step by step guide

Ty to the person above for the detailed walkthrough on how to root. I think I understand how to do it but I actually don't want to root this phone until someone explains how to get rid of the whole bing integration and replace it with google. Can anyone explain what to do after rooting the phone? Sorry.. I'm a complete noob.

Thanx!

OP
FrostMan

FrostMan

Reaction score

atraitees

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I picked up my new fascinate last night and rooted it from this method below. It's been running great and the link for the wifi at the bottom of the page works great! This method is user friendly and does not require you to input code. It is more of a one click method. I could not get the 32 bit drivers to work, but the 64 bit drivers work great! Hope this helps some of the noobs...

How to Root - Android Forums