Acer Reveals Gigantic 4.8 Inch Android Phone - The Iconia Smart

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ACER-ICONIA-SMART.jpg

Acer has decided to "dive" into the smartphone market, and they will be doing so with a huge, pool-emptying, cannon-ball splash, thanks to the behemoth that is their Iconia Smart. This phone comes with a 4.8 inch screen! It has a 21:9 aspect ratio on a resolution of 480 x 1024!

It also features a 1GHz Snapdragon CPU, a front and rear camera (2MP and 8MP respectively) and will run on Gingerbread. No word on a carrier yet, but it is due to be released in the UK on May 1st.

What on earth are they thinking? I can't see walking around with a near 'tablet-sized' phone held to my ear. What do you guys think?

Source: Phonearena

Xsoldier2000

Reaction score
I can't see walking around with a near 'tablet-sized' phone held to my ear. What do you guys think?

Who walks around with a phone to their ear anymore anyway? With all the choices of Bluetooth/earpieces out...I don't think I put the actual phone to my ear much at all anymore.

I am totally interested in this hybrid tablet/phone...I commute an hour each way to work, and movies/shows would be fantastic on this thing...I don't need a $800 tablet...and don't care for the screen on the X (compared to my OG Droid, the crispness and lack of antiglare-anything on my screen makes it look better than the X any day.)

I would be interested in this...totally.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I also think it is too big for carrying around every day. I even thought the X was a little too big. I think that 3.7" or 4" is a perfect compromise. My wife has the 3.2" Ally and I like it, although I think that is a little small. How did the 5" Dell Streak sell at AT&T? I never stopped in to look at it.

merpaderp

Reaction score
If it's like anything else Acer makes, then it'll prolly die within 2 months after purchasing it. :D

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
I think this is a neat idea. With that resolution, it probably won't be any wider than the DX or other large phones, just a bit longer. It wouldn't NEED to be much longer if it were low-profile on the bezel, but from the pics, it looks like it has a lot of bezel which means it will be quite a bit longer. That said, though, should still be pocketable for most. May not be what most people want (such as those who say 4.3" is too large), but for those who want a large-screen phone, this is an interesting option.

That said, I've got concerns on Dell's level of support with their high-end Android phones. They need some history for about a year providing top-level software support on a couple high-end Android phones. If they can prove to do that, even if those phones aren't the most successful, then I would then be willing to buy their phones. But they need to pull off the opposite of what Samsung is pulling off. Oh, and unlocked bootloaders, of course. Motorola has lost my business for that reason alone - the DX will be my last MotoDroid phone.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I also think it is too big for carrying around every day. I even thought the X was a little too big. I think that 3.7" or 4" is a perfect compromise. My wife has the 3.2" Ally and I like it, although I think that is a little small. How did the 5" Dell Streak sell at AT&T? I never stopped in to look at it.

Nah, I have a DX and its not as big as you think. Putting an iPhone up against it, its maybe, at most .5 inches longer and thats it.

But what are they thinking putting in a single core cpu. Its going to get left in the dust unless they are pricing it low.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
But what are they thinking putting in a single core cpu. Its going to get left in the dust unless they are pricing it low.

Yet another example of trade-offs being made. No one wants to load up a phone and see what happens priced outside that $200-$300 sweet spot on contract pricing.

droid fetish

Reaction score
I personally luv the larger phones, I can see the screens without my glasses! Let the young bucks have the smaller screensdancedroid

les017

Reaction score
Over a year ago I stated to my buddies that the mfr that comes out with a 5" screen (and the appropriate load of other specs to go with it) would be the one to get my money. It goes like this...for me, I have some use for a tablet BUT there is no tablet that will eliminate my need for a full feature laptop. And, as Xsoldier2000 said, I rarely hold my phone to my ear. So a 5" phone scree would eliminate my need for a tablet. Nt that I really NEED a tablet, but this would kill 2 birds for me.

Now give me Motorola Atrix-type specs and ability in this size...I'd be all over it. Having said all that, I could sure see how some would never want their 24x7 carry device to be this large.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I prefer talking on bluetooth, so can kind of agree with the larger screen mentality. However, those darn BT devices need to be charged, and ready to talk (meaning connected to your phone) and I find myself still using the phone to talk for short calls quite a bit.

Although for home I might be looking for one of those conference room type speaker phones - a high quality speaker - to leave connected to BT for the home. Something I can place on the coffee table in the center of my living room and just yell "ANSWER" when it rings and talk from about anywhere in the room.

griz8791

Reaction score
I would get one of these, but since it's almost exactly what I have been looking for and since Verizon seems to have been sent to Earth to keep me from having the hardware I actually want, I think we can reasonably sure it will be another AT&T-only phone.