Acer makes headlines with new Android phone device

J

JohnDroid

acer-android-phone.jpg

Acer had a huge conference yesterday where they announced a number or devices. We brought you the news on that yesterday and told you about the tablets they announced. Today we'll get a bit more in-depth on the "phone/tablet" that they announced.

First off this device is not available yet but Acer is claiming that it will be available in January of 2011 which is not too far off... unfortunately they will be missing the holiday sales rush. The specs on the device are pretty impressive. First off we'll start with huge screen. 5 inches. Which puts the larger phones out there (weighing in around 4.3") to shame. Next the device will feature a 1024x480 resolution - not too far below what some LCD monitor's were sporting just a few short years ago. In addition it will have a 1GHz Snapdragon processor (we will of course hope for dual core). Rounding it out is the 8MP rear camera and 2MP front camera.

This phone is touting some serious specs and screen real estate and we can't wait for this beast to arrive and bring another player to the Android phone/tablet market.

Anyone else excited?

(Source: BGR)

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Did they specify or hint at what carrier this may come out on first? And which OS? (I'm guessing 2.2 since everyone is saying 2.3 won't be out until Feb)

djsiva

Reaction score
Did they specify or hint at what carrier this may come out on first? And which OS? (I'm guessing 2.2 since everyone is saying 2.3 won't be out until Feb)

A lot of people are speculating 2.3 Dec 6th and Honeycomb in Feb.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Oooooo... guess I got them mixed up.. thanks for the correction.

griz8791

Reaction score
It's fund to drool about hot new hardware like this, until the follow-on announcement that

• it's going to be SIM-locked to AT&T (e.g., Dell Streak), or
  • my carrier (Verizon) won't be getting it, or
  • the carriers gang up and force the carrier to release it without phone capability (e.g., Samsung Galaxy Tab) so they can try to force us to buy a phone AND a tablet.
Yeah, the details often turn out to be a major buzz kill. I am trying to remain optimistic but I have been burned several times in a row. My carrier in particular seems determined to go to the wall to keep me from having a phone with a screen big enough to use comfortably as a backup computer.

aayoo

Reaction score
Its acer...enough said...and why is the notification bar in the middle of the screen. Manufacturers seriously need to leave the android experience to google.

iOSh8er

Reaction score
@JohnDroid.

January? All the reports I have seen said April or Q2.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

I read elsewhere that it's HSDPA capable, so probably T-Mobile and/or AT&T?

electric6

Reaction score
as per the original article this a GSM ONLY device. No sprint/verizon, so it was pointless to even post this on the site. Besides seeing the companies history with mobile devices, it's just impossible they would ever invest in the r&d required to release a CDMA and a GSM device. They will have this locked to At&t, and sell them unlocked for a bazzlion dollars from shady people on eBay, and that will be the end of the story. Big red is lucky to be getting anything with a screen of 4+ inches next year as it is(hdinc) so let's not get everybody's hopes up for a spec monster like this. It's going to the death star and we all know it!:icon_evil:

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
as per the original article this a GSM ONLY device. No sprint/verizon, so it was pointless to even post this on the site. Besides seeing the companies history with mobile devices, it's just impossible they would ever invest in the r&d required to release a CDMA and a GSM device. They will have this locked to At&t, and sell them unlocked for a bazzlion dollars from shady people on eBay, and that will be the end of the story. Big red is lucky to be getting anything with a screen of 4+ inches next year as it is(hdinc) so let's not get everybody's hopes up for a spec monster like this. It's going to the death star and we all know it!:icon_evil:
Way to rain on my parade I wanted this huge screen:icon_evil:

nerdkill

Reaction score
i came here to ask if it was going to be stock google, but judging by the abortion of the ui in the picture i guess i'll keep waiting for my next phone. wtf?

n0m0n

Reaction score
It's fund to drool about hot new hardware like this, until the follow-on announcement that

• it's going to be SIM-locked to AT&T (e.g., Dell Streak), or
  • my carrier (Verizon) won't be getting it, or
  • the carriers gang up and force the carrier to release it without phone capability (e.g., Samsung Galaxy Tab) so they can try to force us to buy a phone AND a tablet.
Yeah, the details often turn out to be a major buzz kill. I am trying to remain optimistic but I have been burned several times in a row. My carrier in particular seems determined to go to the wall to keep me from having a phone with a screen big enough to use comfortably as a backup computer.

Sam Fascinate?