Accidentally Formated SD. Depressed as Hell

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Game4set, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Game4set

Game4set New Member

Alright guys so while I was formatting some things so I can reflash Bugless Beast V0.6.1, instead of wiping sd ext I wiped sdcard (I've switched from sprecovery to Clockwork mod recently so I wasn't used to the menus) and now I'm depressed as hell :( . So pretty much I've lost all of my pictures and videos, majority of the music that I had downloaded from Music Junk that I hadn't put on my computer yet (all of my other songs are on my computer so that's not much of a problem), and ALL of my backups! I know there's no way I can't get this stuff back but I just can't find anybody to make me feel better about it :/ . I did create an online backup (Dropbox) of my apps via Titanium Backup from like a week ago so I'll most likely use that and I got the txt file for the Titanium Backup license (which is currently the only thing on my memory card right now) but 1st I'm just gonna see if the Market downloads all of my apps with data automatically. Right now I'm downloading Bugless Beast V0.6.1 so I can place it on my memory card and flash it on my Droid since I currently have no ROM on my phone and it keeps going into a bootloop. Siggghhhh I'm sad guys :( .
  2. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ouch.....sorry to hear it. Ummmm happy holidays?¿ :)

Sent from somewhere...
  3. Game4set

Game4set New Member

Thanks and Happy Holidays to you too! I guess I just wanted some attention but I'll have to get over it sooner or later. I guess this will give me some time away from my Droid :]
  4. anewday

anewday New Member

There are programs out there that could recover the data. EasyRecovery comes into mind. Good luck.
  5. bthomp21

bthomp21 New Member

ah it sucks to lose everything like that, happened to me back in april. starting fresh is not always a bad thing. sorry to hear though.
  6. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    I was about to suggest that. The less you download to your SD card the better if you want to try one of those routes, because less will be overwritten.
  7. BlueSami

BlueSami New Member

Pandora recovery worked for me. Try that. Before u start putting stuff on it

Sent from my Droid
  8. Parter28

Parter28 New Member

If you haven't "refillled" your sd card jet. You can get most of it back. Try using recuva, it's free and it'll search your card for your deleted files. Like someone said above the more you add on your card, the more that will be overwritten. I once deleted all my pictures by mistake, and was able to get it all back. There were over 200 pics. so you might wanna give it try. Good Luck!
  9. FC127

FC127 New Member

Recuva will work with deleted files, but not a formatted card...

Sent from my D2 using DroidForums app
  10. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Depends how the card was formatted, a quick format still has potential of being recovered, a full format has alot less chance of being recovered.
  11. FC127

FC127 New Member

I deleted (inadvertantly) about 55 days worth of music from an external hard drive. I tried to use recuva and it didn't find anything. I called support and they asked if it was just deleted or formatted. It was a quick format, and they confirmed there was nothing to recover... if it works for you I will be surprised (and happy for you).

Sent from my D2 using DroidForums app
  12. RETG

RETG Member

I would say trying to recover from a formatted disc didn't help me a year ago, but these programs get updated and more sophisticated on a daily basis, so, it is always a good thing to at least try. You might waste a few hours, but you might recover most of the files and save days. Never, say Never....:icon_ banana:
  13. SupAll

SupAll New Member

Interesting. I was aware that there were recovery programs for hard drives but I wasn't aware that they could work on SD cards. I was under the impression that the cards were like memory and once the data is deleted its gone...guess I'm wrong in that regard.
  14. frostthejack

frostthejack New Member

You can't recover a formatted disk you can recover a deleted file though

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  15. MrBlippy

MrBlippy Guest

Not entirely true. A quick format on a HDD does not clear the data blocks. It only clears the FAT. A full format, however, clears the FAT and attempts to clear all data blocks. This is not always successful though due to magnetic properties on a physical disk (this is why DoD standards require multiple passes to 'securely' wipe drives). Anyway, moving on...

In theory, quick formatting flash memory should still leave blocks of data in tact while only clearing the FAT. However, this theory breaks down when you introduce variables such as internal wear leveling algorithms (as are much more common in SSDs). As someone mentioned in an earlier post, if you realize you have formatted flash memory, your best chance of recovery is immediately before writing any other files to the memory. Some level of recovery is possible, but still very difficult if much writing to the memory has taken place.

@OP:
    I recently had a similar incident with an SD card. I had a decent success rate with Recuva, though I was unable to restore all my files from my formatted SD card. At this point, YMMV. Good luck, though!
  16. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    And like we said -- the sooner you try it the more likely you are to get stuff back.
  17. frostthejack

frostthejack New Member

Solid state works a little differently and he used the format SD card in clockwork recovery he isn't getting that data back

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  18. AuroEdge

AuroEdge New Member

Keep your head up. I once had a harddrive crash that was worse than a quick format. Had to send the thing in but low and behold the technicians were able to recover almost everything. Best thing to do in a case like this is disconnect the storage from everything and do research.

On a different note, formatting your sd card can have all kinds of other undesirable effects. On the Samsung Fascinate, if you have a certain type of kernel flashed and format the card in ROM Manager you will have issues.
  19. MrBlippy

MrBlippy Guest

True, while SSDs work "a little differently" (not really sure of the point in your statement), their base operation works in much the same way as generic flash memory. They just have much more complex wear leveling algorithms. I am plenty familiar with SSDs as I own two of them. ;)

I am telling the OP from first hand experience that he still *could* get some data back. I believe CWM Recovery does a quick format of the SD card. In my previous post I made mention of being in a similar situation recently. I used CWM to format an SD card and I stupidly forgot that I had some music and pictures I wanted to save. I was able to recover a good number of my files even after the quick format. No sense in arguing that it is impossible when many of us claim success even in such a scenario. Regardless, what is wrong with him just trying? Nothing more to lose at this point, right?
  20. Skurvy_Pirate

Skurvy_Pirate New Member

This thread made me decide that it is time to backup my SD card again. Sorry man :(. At least you are doing a public service reminding people to backup their dataz. And as others have said, it might not be totally lost.
Search tags for this page
accidentally cwm format sdcard
accidently erased sd card samsung fascinate
accidently wiped internal sd android

im depressed as hell