Access in the Caribbean

Slothead

Reaction score
Going to take a Caribbean cruise shortly. Aside from cruist sship connections, is there any access in the southern Caribbean, Panama, or in Colombia, SA?

edthesped

Reaction score
I've had Verizon access in Puerto Rico and roaming in St. Thomas, St, Martin, Nassau, Barbados, St. Lucia, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Cozumel and Cancun. Cell phones are ubiquitous on the islands so you should at least have roaming access anywhere you go, unless you head way off the beaten path.

Don't take up too much sunshine, because I'll be in St. Martin next month and am in desperate need of warmth and sunshine.

edit: also, cruise ship connection rates are brutal, if I remember correctly RCL charges somewhere in the neighborhood of $2/min.

OP
Slothead

Slothead

Reaction score
Hey thanks,
Of the islands, we will be in Aruba and Grand Cayman. We'll be careful on board. And I'll leave some sun for ya! :)

OP
Slothead

Slothead

Reaction score
OP
Slothead

Slothead

Reaction score
Actually the real reason for my asking probably doesn't have as much to do with the cell access as much as it does with GPS functionality. I am trying to determine which GPS device it makes more sense to prepare and carry around. When I was in Italy last year, after already using the GPS on my iPhone, I shut it off because I was afraid of what I was going to be charged! If you guys know how the GPS works on the Droid, I would be interested in knowing that. I will be talking to VZW too, but if you have any hints I would love to hear them.
Thanks,
Tom

edthesped

Reaction score
Actually the real reason for my asking probably doesn't have as much to do with the cell access as much as it does with GPS functionality. I am trying to determine which GPS device it makes more sense to prepare and carry around. When I was in Italy last year, after already using the GPS on my iPhone, I shut it off because I was afraid of what I was going to be charged! If you guys know how the GPS works on the Droid, I would be interested in knowing that. I will be talking to VZW too, but if you have any hints I would love to hear them.
Thanks,
Tom

I can confirm that GPS will work but maps will not unless you pay for data. If you want to use maps you will have to find an off line solution. I took my droid on a cruise in December and was using the GPS with a tracking program, I forget which one as I've since switched to Maverick. The program saved my track and I was able to overlay it on a map after the cruise. Just an FYI, you will find it very difficult to get a satellite lock on board even if you have a balcony. I don't know if it's because of all of the steel or what but I found I needed to be outside on one of the top decks to get a good lock and even then it took quite a while to get an initial lock. I rarely got a lock from the balcony. A couple of years ago I took a Garmin Oregon on a cruise and had the same locking issues so it's not the phone.

Have fun.

R1Lover

Reaction score
Thanks,
Tom

If you can see the sky GPS will work, but as mentioned you also need maps to work as well and that needs a signal to work. I would take another GPS if I were you.

steveinil

Reaction score
any idea on what the roaming charges are when in jamaica? i am going in like 10 days. and was debating on takeing the phone at all but may if i will have roaming there...

SGTiger

Reaction score
Thanks,
Tom

Use oruxmaps. Directions for it will show you how to download and use Trekbuddy Atlas Creator to download maps for the area that you will be in.