Accelerometer concerns

Nubbie

Reaction score
From watching video reviews and such. looks like there is quite a bit of lag when going from vertical to horizontal views. I know there is a "transition" effect, but there seems to be a couple seconds before it even registers that it's turned.

Anyone with hands on experience have any input?

ModestMuse

Reaction score
Do a lot of people use landscape on their phones? The only times I do is for watching videos/games, in which case it turns automatically.

I personally keep mine locked in portrait mode. Sometimes I read my phone while laying on my side and I can't read in landscape.

Maybe it gets more use on a big phone? I'm still rocking the OG Droid, the screen is so small, landscape seems useless.

Anyway, if this is a concern, I'm sure it will be addressed with a patch/rom. The hardware clearly works.

OP
Nubbie

Nubbie

Reaction score
I use landscape when I'm in browser or reading something where the text doesnt auto-fit the screen. zoom in and get bigger text without cutting off sentences or whatever. or texting. sometimes its easier typing with larger keys. viewing pictures is better in landscape. I'm still on OG and use landscape often.

jcardona1

Reaction score
I agree, the slow rotating is pretty bad issue. Can't be hardware though, I think. My OG is far more under powered and it rotates just fine with no lag. Has to be a bug in the software...

prowler85

Reaction score
I agree, the slow rotating is pretty bad issue. Can't be hardware though, I think. My OG is far more under powered and it rotates just fine with no lag. Has to be a bug in the software...

You're talking OG and he's talking Nexus....could be hardware. Could also be software. I'm sure the GN has a different accelerometer than your OG. Though I would also guess than most newer phones use the same accelerometer. Not saying it isn't software, and my hope is that it is, but just didn't think it made sense saying your OG rotates just fine so it isn't a hardware issue with the GN.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I use landscape very frequently so I want one that turns quickly. The video doesn't look too snappy, but remember, he's holding the phone almost flat and parallel to the desk surface so it takes a little bit of an up turn to get it to switch. I'd certainly like to use it live so see if it turns briskly. It would be a real turn off if it were slow. I'm hoping that it's just a quick as everything else on the phone seems to be.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The only time I ever use landscape is when I'm watching videos and that should be real nice on the Nexus :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

MrKleen

Reaction score
I always turn that feature off because it was always too sensitive. It would always turn when I didn't want it to. So I am glad they have it set to not be so sensitive.

tadow213m

Reaction score
Every single review video i've seen of this phone shows the transition from portrait to landscape take up to a good 5 seconds, there has to be something wrong, this cant be normal...reminds me of my blackberry storm:frown:

paul gyver

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yup I see it but I see it on my Fascinate running ICS. I too am hoping it's software.

squeak

Reaction score
I use landscape several times a day, mostly for web browsing. I haven't watched the videos, but I wouldn't mind it being slow to switch, my OG often turns when I don't want it to, only to switch back almost immediately. My Xoom switches slower than my OG and it's not something that has ever bothered me. It's still quicker than going into a menu and switching it manually.

Last edited:

Hugg727

Reaction score
Every single review video i've seen of this phone shows the transition from portrait to landscape take up to a good 5 seconds, there has to be something wrong, this cant be normal...reminds me of my blackberry storm:frown:

Yes it does...I still have the Storm and I am patiently waiting to upgrade to either the Rezound or the Nexus. I am glad that someone else brought this up. I am assuming that this issue can be addressed in software updates. For thos of you that had or still have the OG Droid, how was that in the beginning?

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I use landscape several times a day, mostly for web browsing. I haven't watched the videos, but I wouldn't mind it being slow to switch, my OG often turns when I don't want it to, only to switch back almost immediately. My Xoom switches slower than my OG and it's not something that has ever bothered me. It's still quicker than going into a menu and switching it manually.

Agree. If I tilt my Droid for just a second it will switch and then switch back. I would welcome a delay. It would be nice if there were a menu function to set the delay between something like 1 and 5 seconds.

Androidatic

Reaction score
Do a lot of people use landscape on their phones? The only times I do is for watching videos/games, in which case it turns automatically.

I personally keep mine locked in portrait mode. Sometimes I read my phone while laying on my side and I can't read in landscape.

Maybe it gets more use on a big phone? I'm still rocking the OG Droid, the screen is so small, landscape seems useless.

Anyway, if this is a concern, I'm sure it will be addressed with a patch/rom. The hardware clearly works.

I use it all of the time. I even keep the phone in landscape on the homescreen, that why I use Go Launcher.