Accel Golf

Discussion in 'Android Applications Discussions' started by LakeMountD, Jan 21, 2010.

1. delaen

delaen Member

Ratings:
    +0
    From there, with the awesome setup you guys have, it seems like it would be easy enough to calculate average distance with every club too. Drooling...

2. LakeMountD

LakeMountD Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think there software already does avg. club distance doesn't it? But the auto shot distance would be amazing.

3. delaen

delaen Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe it does. It's been too cold around here to golf lately, so I don't know for sure what it does or doesn't do.

All I know is that every golfer I've mentioned the "how far was the shot I just hit" feature to has had a mini-orgasm at the thought, so I'm really hoping these guys (or someone else even) have that out there before it gets warm. :)

Guys, this feature will sell the app on it's own. I promise! There'll be something extremely viral about "hey, check this **** out! look how far I hit that!" and showing their friends the phone and your app after they hit a monster drive.

#27 delaen, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  4. Lamb And Martyr

Lamb And Martyr New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Downloaded app yesterday and seems really cool.

I would agree that searching for courses by zip would be handy. I also noticed that the screen does not rotate when sliding out the keyboard on the course search screen.

I have not had a chance to use it on the course yet- does the range finder calculate distance to pin from current position on the hole or do you have to drag and drop the icon?

Also, not sure if it is possible, but being able to rotate the range finder map would be awesome.

The distance per club and auto-display previous shot distance ideas get 2 thumbs up from me.

I think it is great that the developer(s) monitor feedback on the forums and respond.

#28 Lamb And Martyr, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  5. zebug

zebug New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I too am wondering about this and can't really find any info on the website about it. I'm going out in 2 weekends for a big golf trip so if noone responds to this thread by then, then I will post what I find.

6. jutang

jutang New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've used Accel Golf about 4-5 times now. I think it is a great easy tool keeping track of your score. I like how it keeps track of a lot of golf stats to let me know how bad of a golfer I really am.

The range finder for the droid has not worked out at all for me. Since I walk, the droid touch screen often gets activated in my pocket so I purposely lock the screen after each shot, but the rangefinder becomes useless as well as avg distance per club. The times when I haven't locked the screen, the range finder will put a red marker on where I am, but doesn't list the distance to the green. I also tried using the distance per club but that function also has not worked for me.

Developer is very involved and does respond to a lot of feedback.

7. zebug

zebug New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hmmmm interesting that the range finder isn't working for you. Like I said, I haven't made it to the course yet but yesterday on my way back home from work I turned on this app and after I zoomed out far enough to see my location on the map, it said I was 14, 000 + yards from my first green. So it appears that the GPS is working.

I think this app has a lot of potential so I will write up a summary after I play in two weeks.

8. gbouten

gbouten Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest I haven't found a golf app that I like. I have the Golf Logix GPS unit and when I got the droid I thoght I'd check out their app. The problem was in bright sunlight I couldn't read it and talk about killing the battery I didn't make it though 18 holes. I tried "How Far Am I" and it seemed a bit better but still hard to see in sunlight. I will look at Accel Gold and see what I think about it. Just give me an ap that will correct my slice and I will be happy.

9. gbouten

gbouten Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It couldn't find the course I'm leaving to play at.

10. jutang

jutang New Member

Ratings:
    +0

Maybe I am not using the range finder correctly. This morning, I zoomed out to where I live until the red marker was on the screen. If I drag the blue marker to where my red marker is on the map, it gives me the distance to the hole, but do I have to do this every time on the golf course?

11. zebug

zebug New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can easily add a course to the database by going on their website (think it uses google maps and you just drop markers on the tee, 2 on the fairway, then one in the middle of the green...takes maybe 15 minutes)

I'm not sure whats going on jutang, I tried it again yesterday when I was letting my kid play at a nearby playground...zoomed out all the way until I got my red mark showing where I was, but this time it wouldn't show the distance.

I also noticed that it was showing meters on my phone rather than yards so I logged off and tried to log back on but have been unable to do so. I'm hoping (once I get logged on again) that when I am on the golf course that it will work.

I have a back up app called freecaddie that just shows distance to the front/middle/back of the green (no satellite overhead view) just in case my Accelgolf isn't doing what I need.

After digging around some more on their forum, most people offering suggestions are asking for automatic distance to green rather than using the points, so it seems like this doesn't have distance to green just yet. Again, I will verify while on the course not this weekend, but the following weekend and report back here. I'm sure this is something that they will add in the future as it is still in beta. Otherwise, its just a really good golf shot tracking app.

#35 zebug, Apr 14, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  12. zebug

zebug New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok, well I finally made it out to the course so I thought I'd clear up any confusion on this app.

accelgolf is just starting out, it has some promise but for me, it just isn't there yet. It looks like a cool shot tracking tool where you can see some stats on GIR, sand saves, 3 putts, etc.

The range finder portion is what is lacking. Currently, you can see an overview of the hole (think it uses google maps) and thats great but it doesn't automatically tell you your distance to the green. To do that, you have drag a point on the screen to where you are at and getting that precise is nearly impossible.

If they ever make it automatically take your position and show you how far it is to the green, then they will be well on their way to a great app. For now, free apps like freecaddie work just as well (minus the overhead view and the shot tracking ability).

For me, I just want to know how far it is to clear that bunker on the left, or what the front/center/back of the green is. I will keep an eye on accelgolf for improvements but it is now off of my phone. I went and bought skydroid for $0.99 which does everything I need (distances to front/center/back of green, front and back of hazzards, and a satellite overview of the hole)

Search tags for this page
freecaddie
golf logix force close
is there an app to charge the distance on a golf course for
skydroid vs freecaddie

skydroid vs golfshot

ways to see phone in sunlight golf app