about to give up :(

yolie1214

Reaction score
Im Yolie...

I had finally decided to join the realm of rooting and learn the ropes.But I have been reading for two days and Im so confused... I have Droid 2.2.1 just got I from Verizon and I see where it says 2.3.... And the software is no where to be found to upgrade it.

Then Im trying to figure out if I can use z4root for my 2.2.1 which wasn't in the app store even tried 4zroot. :( What scares me is once I root this do I have to update rooting? Also some of the original instructions are from last year are they still valid? Im scared once I root it - I may do it incorrectly. Also could you point me to the most updated area for removing bloat? My phone is slow - especially on this site. Yes I have done a lot of reading but everytime I hit search the box comes up.When I goto type in it the box the keyboard disappears. Both in the forum itself and the main search. So Im reading all the post and can't narrow it down. :(
Sorry Im nervous as Im great with computers but Droid naive and I don't want to mess up.

Incidently for backing up when your going to root- do u back up before u remove bloat or after? Thank you for you help. Im sure with the all the great Droid Xers on here I will learn my way around without being scared.
Yolie

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im Yolie...

I had finally decided to join the realm of rooting and learn the ropes.But I have been reading for two days and Im so confused... I have Droid 2.2.1 just got I from Verizon and I see where it says 2.3.... And the software is no where to be found to upgrade it.

Then Im trying to figure out if I can use z4root for my 2.2.1 which wasn't in the app store even tried 4zroot. :( What scares me is once I root this do I have to update rooting? Also some of the original instructions are from last year are they still valid? Im scared once I root it - I may do it incorrectly. Also could you point me to the most updated area for removing bloat? My phone is slow - especially on this site. Yes I have done a lot of reading but everytime I hit search the box comes up.When I goto type in it the box the keyboard disappears. Both in the forum itself and the main search. So Im reading all the post and can't narrow it down. :(
Sorry Im nervous as Im great with computers but Droid naive and I don't want to mess up.

Incidently for backing up when your going to root- do u back up before u remove bloat or after? Thank you for you help. Im sure with the all the great Droid Xers on here I will learn my way around without being scared.
Yolie

Here's what you have: You have a Droid2 2.2. Check for update and you should go to version 2.3.2. Then you can use z4Root.

Most updated area for removing bloatware? I don't understand what you mean, just once you've rooted download Root Explorer and change the extension from .apk to whatever you want on whatever bloatware you want. If you need it back you just change the extension back to .apk.

OP
Y

yolie1214

Reaction score
OP
Y

yolie1214

Reaction score
HookBill

Thank you for sending me the message. I Went under about phone and checked for software updates and says nothing available... Is there another way to get the 2.3? Also I thought removing bloat was getting rid of unnecessary applications. :( One last thing Z4root wasn't in the market? Thank you Yoliehugs

OP
Y

yolie1214

Reaction score
Okay sorry figured out that the system version is 2.3 and the android version is 2.2 under about phone. If Im still needing to update something it will not allow me under about phone. Trying really hard. ;)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
the gingerbread leak is not the official version because it still have minor bugs, if you install it its only for play you will have to go back to 2.3.20 stock (which is what you are on now) just to get the official update when it is released. SO you must decide if you have figured out and understand rooting enough and is it worth the headache just to test a leak for a few weeks. It is risky because people have gotten stuck.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
the gingerbread leak is not the official version because it still have minor bugs, if you install it its only for play you will have to go back to 2.3.20 stock (which is what you are on now) just to get the official update when it is released. SO you must decide if you have figured out and understand rooting enough and is it worth the headache just to test a leak for a few weeks. It is risky because people have gotten stuck.

Well, that's true but if you do get stuck you can still use your warranty. I'm not going to do it when I get mine tomorrow because of that very reason. I've lost faith in sbf.