About to flash my first ROM.

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by jlamb30, Oct 21, 2010.

1. jlamb30

jlamb30 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'm about set. Have a nandroid backup, have backed up apps and data with MyBackup Pro and am in the process of doing the same with Titanium Backup. Can you have too many backups? LOL

Anyway, I've decided on the Project Elite v 2 ROM to try first. Wish me luck!

2. fox_dye

fox_dye Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck. Make sure to try out team d1 miui if you got a droid 1

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

3. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Good Luck!

4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    You've done your homework with backups. You'll be fine. If you have any issues the member (Tallica) that posted above me will guide and assist you.

5. illmatic636

illmatic636 Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Question. When we all started flashing Roms, what was the first Rom you flashed?

Mine was on Cyanogenmod on MT3g.

6. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    My first was a 2.0.1 version of Bugless Breast

7. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Smoked Glass on Android 2.0.1

Sent from my Original Droid using the Exclusive Droid Forums App (Available Free in the Market) :wink:

8. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    first rom i flashed was cynogenmod. Then simply stunning 4.6, then ud8, then ss4.8, then pe, then countless versions and mods of miui.

Finally Im on MIUI 4.1.1 and wont use anything else, feels wierd going back to the regular droid UI no matter what launcher/theme, etc I use. The only other ones I would consider flashing again are PE and Simply stunning (when 4.9 comes out).

To OP, dont worry, we have all been there. There is plenty of friendly and helpful people here on DF.net. First time I did flashed, i had lots of helpers...tp76, furbearingmammal come to mind when I was flashing for the first time.

If you are anything like the rest of us, you will be a pro at flashing new stuff over and over and over for weeks at a time until you find something that you are completely satisfied with. Its really all about what the user wants. That is what makes rooting and taking advantage of rooting a thing of beauty. It really is an art/science at the same time.

I would also recommend MIUI v4.1.1 once you get the hang of doing things. Still some minor bugs with it, but I honestly havent had a FC since Ive flashed the new version and themes that have been ported to it.

You picked a very good ROM to flash for your first one. PE is extremely stable, fast, reliable, and honestly bugless as it gets. I will probably be moving over to PE if I ever get tired of miui (dont see that happening since my girl has PE and I can just play with her phone if I want).

9. BlackHoleSlam

BlackHoleSlam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First cyanogen 6 next liquid next shadow and now UD v 1.0

Droid1 running UD v1 luna theme

10. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Mine was an android 2.0 version of something.

11. fox_dye

fox_dye Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My first was bugless beast .2 I think and many since then resulting in
    3 bricks
    50+ bootloops
    And more nandroid restore than I care to count.

Sent from a galaxy far far away.......

12. boostedhonda

boostedhonda Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My first was sapphire but it had many problems on my phone, since moved to liquid frozen yogurt and haven't moved since.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

13. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Kangerade 5.0 (i think). it was only 3 months ago, but it seems like forever.

14. jlamb30

jlamb30 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm digging it so far. Fast, no lag, and no Launcher Pro redraw issues. I think the only thing I'm not crazy about is the notification bar. I prefer the stock bar icons, and no transparency in the pull down.

Using the kernel that came with the rom for now, set to ondemand in SetCPU. We'll have to see about the battery life. It fell off REALLY quick last night from about 40%-on while surfing the net over 3G.

Unrelated... how do you get rid of the Drocap2 su permissions notification that is overlaid on the screen caps?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Cool!

Just so you are aware...Quandrant scores dont mean jack as far as performance goes. Sometimes pushing your phone to its max has a negative performance result...and a high quadrant.

13.9 are typical linpacks for 1000 mhz, but as stated...the perferformance difference between 800 mhz and 1000 mhz is milliseconds. Certainly nothing you will notice to with the naked eye.

I personally dont think its good idea to overclock that high, even though I know a lot of people do it. I use 0.8 ghz kernels with 7 slots...because 800 is the highest I go. My phone flies. If you are concerned with quadrants, I get anywhere from 1080 and one 1189 at 800 mhz. And I know my max CPU frequency is a little over 1000 mhz because if I overclock to 1100 my phone freezes...requiring a battery pull. I see no point in running 1000 all the time since performance difference it not noticable and there is no sense in maxing my cpu out everywhere I go...just to show someone a high quadrant score.

also the slots on my 800 are 125/250/400/550/600/700/800. I use all of them in profiles somewhere in setCPU. Not a slot goes neglected. Screen off profile is 125min 400 max...and when I dont use my phone during a day at work..and it sleeps...Ill get 10 hours and have 90 percent left. Normal/moderate use is about 16-20 hours. Heavy use is 10-14 hours or so. Personally I like to think of the goal for a kernel and setcpu is to save juice where it can be saved and add a little performance where it can be added.

Not trying to be negative, just passing along my experience. A lot of people have oc to 1250 for months...year...and have no problems. Personally I think its overkill.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010