abcOrganizer Review

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Someone mentioned this app on a thread and I thought I'd give it a try. My seven screens on my GDE home had become hopelessly disorganized as I added applications to the Droid over the last couple of months. And being someone who likes to look at the wallpaper I put on the phone, I found that practically every screen was covered in app and widget icons.

With "abcOrganizer" and a few hours of effort to think through what belonged with what, I now have a much cleaner looking interface.

In effect, the app simply provides a way to organize apps, bookmarks, and contacts into groups with user-chosen labels. Each group is then a "shortcut" that may be placed with a user-selected icon on any of the home screens. When the shortcut icon is pressed, the app presents a popup panel with each of the apps (or bookmarks, contacts, etc.) displayed.

The app comes in two flavors. The free version includes advertising in the configuration screens, but is otherwise free of advertising. The paid version has no advertising. In addition the paid version supports hierarchical organization of the shortcuts so that a group of apps can be further subdivided and additional shortcut goups may be accessed from the shortcut panel.

One of the nicest features is the ability to select the order of the icons within a shortcut group according to most frequently used, starred, most recently used, etc. I found this feature to be a significant advantage over the GDE "application dock" that (a) requires an entire row of real estate and (b) insists on an alphabetical ordering of the items.

The configuration screens are well organized, allowing one to select apps to be placed in a particular group or to select multiple groups to associated with a particular app.

As noted, the application appears to work flawlessly with GDE. I haven't tried it with other home screen replacements or the default Droid homescreen, but I suspect there would be no problems.

All in all, it's a great application for those with many applications they want to access easily and hate the clutter that many icons on the screen presents.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
folderorganizer f/k/a abcorganizer now lets you make custom icons for bookmarks :woot: