Abandoned Apps in Google Play

deborah3756

Reaction score
I'm irritated with some of the developers who have apps in the The Google Play Store.

They charge for the apps then stop updating them.

The Go Developer team created the Next Launcher and charged $16.00 for it then stopped updating their product. Same with Beautiful Widgets and the Fancy widgets developers.

I paid for those apps like many other people did. I find this a disservice to consumers.

Does any one know why this happens? Is it just me or does anyone else get pissed off when they take our money and their service stops?

I contacted Google Play and they gave me a complimentary refund for Next Launcher but, I don't believe this should happen.

I'm really irritated that some of the devs of these apps never respond to complaints.

Shouldn't devs be sanctioned some how?

Any thoughts?

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I would say it is difficult for devs to continually support apps due to so many versions of Android running across so many different models of phones.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I agree that it can be frustrating when an app stops being developed. There has to also be some understanding, too, when development comes to an end. Many things can contribute to that. Problems IRL, income generated from the app doesn't warrant the time it takes to continue pouring resources into it, etc.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I also agree with Ollie.....the developers could have things going on that prevent them from focusing entirely on the app they created.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I totally understand your frustration. I bought Next launcher but it was only $5.00 at the time. Developers who charge or not have no obligation to provide any updates/enhancements. I do believe they should be obligated to provide bug fixes especially for paid Apps.. JMO

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I don't understand why a larger dev team like Go would do this. The smaller independent devs probably do it on the side, but Go makes tons of money on most of their projects. They can probably fund the entire operation just from their GoSMS team.

OP
deborah3756

deborah3756

Reaction score
I don't understand why a larger dev team like Go would do this. The smaller independent devs probably do it on the side, but Go makes tons of money on most of their projects. They can probably fund the entire operation just from their GoSMS team.
Exactly! It has been months since an update to Next Launcher. Nova Launcher is less expensive and keeps up with updates. Nova runs better too.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB

Exactly! It has been months since an update to Next Launcher. Nova Launcher is less expensive and keeps up with updates. Nova runs better too.
Every project has to stand on it's own. It makes no business sense to fund a project using other projects budgets.
Did they say they are no longer updating Next Launcher? If so, perhaps it was not successful enough to fund updates.

OP
deborah3756

deborah3756

Reaction score
Every project has to stand on it's own. It makes no business sense to fund a project using other projects budgets.
Did they say they are no longer updating Next Launcher? If so, perhaps it was not successful enough to fund updates.
They have said nothing. At least warn people or something.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This happens. Beautiful Widgets has been around as long as I've had an android, back to 2009. I didn't realize they stopped updating it, but I think I got my money's worth from that purchase. Outside of the phone spectrum, I've bought things that quickly have become obsolete or not supported too (remember betamax?) :)

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
They have said nothing. At least warn people or something.
Then we really don't know if the project has been abandoned. You can always email the Dev and ask.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To be honest, as much as $15 (really $5) is a lot to pay for an app. With that said the developer really do not owe us anything. Yes we paid because we want to support the Dev. But in the end you have to ask if the money you are about to pay worth it for the app. If not get a refund because the developer could very well stop supporting the app.

Plus $5-$15 (even though it is a lot for an app) is a drop in the bucket considering the time most developers spend on an app. And your good apps take a lot of time to code and get right. I would like to find the statistical analysis how much a Dev makes on an app also adding adware in to the mix. The iTunes store have apps that are as high as $50.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
It could be worse, folks. At least you didn't buy this one.

I Am Rich - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Actually, it's not the various versions of Android that are the problem. It's the 16-gazillion models. As more than one developer has said to me;

"I need to either borrow or buy every phone I intend to support."

The SDK allows you to emulate any version of Android you want, so all you have to do is tweak the code a little, and put up a "only works on Android 4.0 and up" disclaimer.

The problem comes in when you start having to support the funny way TouchWiz renders this particular thing, whereas Sense does it a completely different way, and stock Android does it the way you expected it to. Then there's the interaction with the spaghetti code LG left in the WiFi driver that won't work with this particular analytic you programmed in so you could check on X, Y, and Z... And then you get the Chinese manufacturers who refuse to release kernel code, so everything is hacked and patched...

Plus there's the low ROI for app developers. The gold rush is over and the market is too crowded to turn a profit anymore, unless you're big, lucky, or have an insanely killer app -- and usually it has to be all three. The same applies to ebooks, though in that case most people are too busy Netflixing some really crappy TV show or bad movie or playing Words with Friends or Facebooking to bother reading anymore.