A way back to stock from leaks

reminon

Reaction score
Won't restoring my backup cause force closes with apps? I figured I would have to reinstall everything fresh?

Plus it looks like P3Droid has created a streamlined version of the Rootzwiki method...he should be posting a one click script soon..

Hm, it hasn't caused me any force closes, but I've got stock on non safe, and my backup of kinetix restore in safe mode and it works with no problems. But yeah I would wait on p3. I tested both current methods of getting back on the update path and they both work, but p3 would make a fool proof one and I prolly should've waited cause the first method froze on me and my phone ended up dying during flash which just caused more headache. lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

welsalex

Reaction score
Just here waiting for a good solid answer to this problem. Looks like a lot of progress but i dont like having such a high possibility for error. I understand there will always be a small chance of failure but currently seems a little high... until someone outlines a detailed steo but step including links to everything needed... i hate generalized answers it just screws up people who dont know better.

Hope we will see a method outlined to the t soon

Sent from my doomed 5.7.893 Bionic via DroidForums

nh2123

Reaction score
The 5.6.893 update you installed before going to 5.7.893 is what breaks webtop.

Using releaseroot 2.1 to flash your system back to. 886. Cant remember if this step also restores the webtop. If not then you afterwords could use moto fastboot commands to flash the webtop image

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Ok thanks. From reading on here and on rootzwiki it appears that this fix is a bit more advanced and may be a bit finnicki (ie. Phone may be bricked if I start with a broken webtop). I want to make sure that everything I can do to make this a smooth process is done. The last thing I want to do is brick the phone. I may even wait a bit until this fix becomes a more stable process.

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
I take it all back. Sorry about that just super sick of reading and waiting.

Get to 5.5.893 OTA from ANY LEAK - RootzWiki

Above looks perfect. Definitely will wait for P3droids scripted version of this to guard myself from mistakes!

Sent from my maybe-not-anymore-doomed 5.7.893 Bionic via DroidForums

As long as you follow those directions directly it'll work flawlessly; I did it myself this afternoon. I thought I was screwed too and read all these different threads and tried all these different steps, but none worked before this one. I just downloaded everything and moved the stuff mentioned to my ext. SD and did it slowly step by step and now I'm finally on .893 and (hopefully) back on the OTA path.

johnlgalt

Reaction score
I was on 5.7.893, but I had never applied any webtop hack nor deleted any apps. My procedure was pretty simple.

1) R3l34s3d r00t option 1 to revert system software to 5.5.886, plus root and 43v3r root.
2) boot into flashboot mode and flash 5.5.886 radio, reboot phone
3) use dd method batch files from realbbb to dd 5.5.886 kernel onto phone, reboot phone
4) on boot failure, restart in bootloader mode, pick recovery, then flash 5.5.886 --> 5.5.893, reboot phone.

When it came back up I then opted to flash the 901 update leak.

If you did the incremental updates that broke webtop, you can use R3l34s3d r00t option 1 to revert system software to 5.5.886, and then install the full 5.5.86 --> 5.7.893 update, then start over from my steps above and it should go well.

Although I didn't do it all at one time, I too was on the broken webtop 5.7.893 update and I used R3l34s3d r00t option 1 to revert system software to 5.5.886 and then applied the full 5.7.893 update over that and all was well for 2 months.

yiannis

Reaction score
How to tell if my 5.7.893 is from the leak or from the OTA? Using droid th3ory's purity 2.4 ROM GB

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
5.7.893 never became an official OTA, that's why those who installed it are trying to get back on the upgrade path.

johnlgalt

Reaction score
How to tell if my 5.7.893 is from the leak or from the OTA? Using droid th3ory's purity 2.4 ROM GB

Both 5.7.893 are leaks. One was an incremental update to a leaked 5.6.893 which inherited a broken webtop from that same 5.6.893, and the other is a leaked 5.5.886 --> 5.7.893 full update with working webtop.

To see which one you have, look in about: phone - if your webtop version is listed as unknown, you have the first and if it lists an actual version for webtop then you have the second

ydal251

Reaction score
Will this work to bring my phone from 5.9.901(OTA never rooted) down to a root-able system, root it, and then back up?

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
Will this work to bring my phone from 5.9.901(OTA never rooted) down to a root-able system, root it, and then back up?

It should bring you back to .886 which will let you do a forever root, then put you back on .893.

This is the link I used; just make sure you download everything it says to and follow it EXACTLY. It worked like a charm for me, but I was coming from the leaked .893, so use at your own risk. I don't see why it wouldn't work for you, though.

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/13074-get-to-55893-ota-from-any-leak/#entry319414

Last edited:

johnlgalt

Reaction score
It should bring you back to .886 which will let you do a forever root, then put you back on .893.

This is the link I used; just make sure you download everything it says to and follow it EXACTLY. It worked like a charm for me, but I was coming from the leaked .893, so use at your own risk. I don't see why it wouldn't work for you, though.

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/13074-get-to-55893-ota-from-any-leak/#entry319414

The procedure for 901 is a bit different than for 893. You have to be careful about making a recommendation for something you've never done.

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
The procedure for 901 is a bit different than for 893. You have to be careful about making a recommendation for something you've never done.

My bad. Can you enlighten the OP and myself on the differences and correct procedure then?

ydal251

Reaction score
Yeah i was kind of hoping for someone that had done exactly what im trying to do before i attempt it