A way back to stock from leaks

anwarlucas

Reaction score
I had installed the leak when it was released, I did the webtop hack/mod, webtop2sd.. I have flashed the leak multiple times to clean out my phone..
I followed the steps in this forum.
I did went to stock using root option 1 and flashed the radio using stock recovery.
On first boot it asked me to do the ota for 5.5.893, i hit yes, it downloaded and rebooted to the update, then failed..
I downloaded the update once more, using root explorer went to the /cache directory, copied the downloaded file including the crc to my /sd.. went back into stock recovery and tries flashing, failed on crc check with current system.. turned phone on and tried the 5t0ck.zip, phone asked for su permissions, I did it about 5 times then rebooted straight into stock recovery and flashed the downloaded file. 100% success ..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

dags5000

Reaction score
fyi - i followed the directions exactly as well and it bricked my phone. wont boot anymore. just a warning. curious if anyone knows what i might have done wrong. After i ran the 3rd step where it "flashed" the boot or whatever it did, i tried to reboot and thats where it just failed on the boot. reflashing the system didn' fix as the kernel was hosed. did anyone else experience this and have advice on how to fix? the error i get is Invalid CG Version (CG: boot) in the AP fastboot on load

Last edited:

mikespe

Reaction score
Well it seems plausible now bionics with the leaked 5.7.893 update can now get back to stock. Afterwards they then can install the 5.5.893 OTA and the new .901

Information is in this thread: Getting back on the OTA update path - RootzWiki few people are claiming success. I haven't tried this. I have been following this thread for the last few hours waiting for others to claim that it is sucessful.

Steps it seems to me is:

1. Restore back to .886 then option 1 to forever root.

2. Install the original stock modem in stock recovery http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21566851/Phone/radio.zip

3. While rooted and usb debugging on, install this http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54323236/5T0ck886.rar

After step 3 some people could no longer boot and then did step 1 again

4. The 5.5.893 OTA would now install successfully

I'm confused with step 1...is there a step BEFORE option 1 to restore back to stock .886 or is Option 1 the way TO RESTORE stock .886?

Also, in reading the rootzwiki thread some are saying to use BOOTSTRAP and other's the STOCK recovery? Which one is best? Also, if we are currently using SafeStrap then we need to uninstall it to restore the stock recovery correct? Or is there a way to bypass uninstalling SafeStrap?

Thanks for the help! I really want to get back on the OTA path without having to return my phone for a refurb. I don't think I could keep a straight face taking it in!

mikespe

Reaction score
Did you try doing the root option 1? To restore your phone?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

If you're talking to me I havern't even started this yet...I'm just trying to get all the information straight first. I'm on 5.7.893

OP
wseyller

wseyller

Reaction score
dags5000;[URL="tel:1932682" said:
1932682[/URL]]fyi - i followed the directions exactly as well and it bricked my phone. wont boot anymore. just a warning. curious if anyone knows what i might have done wrong. After i ran the 3rd step where it "flashed" the boot or whatever it did, i tried to reboot and thats where it just failed on the boot. reflashing the system didn' fix as the kernel was hosed. did anyone else experience this and have advice on how to fix? the error i get is Invalid CG Version (CG: boot) in the AP fastboot on load[/QUOTE

That is supposed to happen. The boot error is normal. You would then boot into stock recovery and apply the 5.5.893 update which you need to have on your sdcard.

Since you tried to do some reflashing then you may have messed that up. If the update does not work then use stock recovery to wipe data and cache and then reboot back into fastboot and use Releasedroot v2.1 option 1 to get back into the os and then start over from scratch.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can someone post a link to the 5.5.893 OTA file?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

dags5000

Reaction score
dags5000;[URL="tel:1932682" said:
1932682[/URL]]fyi - i followed the directions exactly as well and it bricked my phone. wont boot anymore. just a warning. curious if anyone knows what i might have done wrong. After i ran the 3rd step where it "flashed" the boot or whatever it did, i tried to reboot and thats where it just failed on the boot. reflashing the system didn' fix as the kernel was hosed. did anyone else experience this and have advice on how to fix? the error i get is Invalid CG Version (CG: boot) in the AP fastboot on load[/QUOTE

That is supposed to happen. The boot error is normal. You would then boot into stock recovery and apply the 5.5.893 update which you need to have on your sdcard.

Since you tried to do some reflashing then you may have messed that up. If the update does not work then use stock recovery to wipe data and cache and then reboot back into fastboot and use Releasedroot v2.1 option 1 to get back into the os and then start over from scratch.

i actually did try applying the ota in stock recovery before i started flashing stuff to try and recover. the ota failed with some different error about assert_space. in tmp/sideload/package.zip. I have tried everything from clearing cache/data, releasedroot option 1, full sbf, basically everything, and it can't get passed the boot issue. If for some reason, the ota doesn't take, seems there's no way to recover. No worries though.

Last edited:
OP
wseyller

wseyller

Reaction score
mikespe;[URL="tel:1932710" said:
1932710[/URL]]I'm confused with step 1...is there a step BEFORE option 1 to restore back to stock .886 or is Option 1 the way TO RESTORE stock .886?

Also, in reading the rootzwiki thread some are saying to use BOOTSTRAP and other's the STOCK recovery? Which one is best? Also, if we are currently using SafeStrap then we need to uninstall it to restore the stock recovery correct? Or is there a way to bypass uninstalling SafeStrap?

Thanks for the help! I really want to get back on the OTA path without having to return my phone for a refurb. I don't think I could keep a straight face taking it in!

Option 1 does the restore and the rooting. after the restore your phone will reboot itself. after reboot you need to turn on usb debugging and set usb connection to charge only. The same program used to restore is waiting for you to do all this. once you have that all set you press enter on the screen to proceed with the rooting process.
safestrap or any customer recovery is useless. don't bother installing one after you doing the intial restore. stock recovery is what must be used to install to flash the radio and the 5.5.893 ota.

Alastrionia

Sourcery Themer / Designr
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Get to 5.5.893 OTA from ANY LEAK - RootzWiki

FenixJR over at Rootzwiki has posted a detailed full writeup on how to get your phone back up and running properly
this will get everything back on the 5.5.893 track and proper OTA path (including the kernel - where a huge culprit hid for a while)
also means that you can run custom ROM's without any problems.

been talking with him and hearing of success with both 5.7 and 5.8 leaked OTA's as well

I'm still on the kernel / radio / system mismatch but in a few I'm going to give this a go and get back on track :)

OP
wseyller

wseyller

Reaction score
dags5000;[URL="tel:1932849" said:
1932849[/URL]]
wseyller;[URL="tel:1932837" said:
1932837[/URL]]

i actually did try applying the ota in stock recovery before i started flashing stuff to try and recover. the ota failed with some different error about assert_space. I have tried everything from clearing cache/data, releasedroot option 1, full sbf, basically everything, and it can't get passed the boot issue.

i went through the same almost and what i told you helped me. you may have a different situation. I tried again after work and I got it to work the 2nd time after i realized what i did wrong.

dags5000

Reaction score
dags5000;[URL="tel:1932849" said:
1932849[/URL]]

i went through the same almost and what i told you helped me. you may have a different situation. I tried again after work and I got it to work the 2nd time after i realized what i did wrong.

i've tried the restore a few times now, won't ever boot. tried all your suggestions so I guess something is different in my case.

thetingster

Reaction score
Well I can also now confirm that this works. I had installed the 5.7.893 leak and was concerned it was off the update path because the new update, 901, would not work.

In case anyone has confusion.

1. Make sure you're restored to stock from the 5.7.893 so that all your bloatware and everything are back. I used the r3l3as3d ver. 2.1 to restor the phone, (because I deleted a bunch of bloat)

2. Do forever root as indicated in OP

3. Roll back the radio by running the radio.zip file in OP (step #2 (this rolls back the radio updated by 5.7.893) Flash this in Stock Recovery. (i.e. hold down vol up and down, and hit power) Nav down to “recovery” and hit vol up. Then when exclamation point comes up hit vol up and down simultaneously. This will get you into the recovery menu. Choose Update from SD card and nav to your radio.zip file and flash.

4. When that radio file is flashed, reboot. Turn on the Development debug option. Then with the phone on, plug in the usb and if your computer is able to run ADB (check Moto pre-release drivers, yada yada) Download the 5t0ck886.rar. on a windows machine you will have to unzip this with something like winrar. in that unzipped folder you will see 5t0ck886.bat. Run that file in windows. WARNING THIS WILL MAKE THE PHONE UNBOOTABLE. This is normal, for this operation. Turn off phone and go back into stock recovery.

5. Flash the first OTA 5.5.886, then you can now flash the 5.9.901

It works. ;-) Thank you all for the info and help. I could not have done this myself.

Last edited:

dags5000

Reaction score
literally the 6th time of restoring, nothing different this time, but the ota update got past the assert check it was failing on. crossing my fingers, but somehow it might be working this time. will post soon with results.

Finally, it seemed to work. Device is rebooting as we speak!

Last edited:

mikespe

Reaction score
Has anyone here used this method successfully? I plan on doing it in the morning if I see the majority of people were able to be successful with it.