A WARNING for Galaxy Nexus potential buyers

captdroid

Reaction score
At least we are all enjoying (for the most part :D) our phones now since in a couple months we will be long forgotten except perhaps in the development community :icon_ devil:

pool_shark

Reaction score
I don't understand why people run to the defense of a phone just because someone said their experience was bad.

Not one of you had the phone the OP had, so to say what could be fixed on that phone based on their experience doesn't make a lot of sense. That phone could be defective.
If the OP chooses to give up on it based on their experience it's their choice.
You guys didn't build the phone, there is no need to be so defensive over a piece of electronic equipment.

captdroid

Reaction score
Any reception problems that I had were fixed with the leaked Radios that came out last week, as far as phone numbers, I think I actually logged on to my Gmail and Manually cleaned some old contacts out a couple of months back. So far I'm really diggin this phone :)

Interesting... I haven't tried loading up the leaked radios since actually my reception is as good or maybe a tad bit better then my D1

captdroid

Reaction score
I don't understand why people run to the defense of a phone just because someone said their experience was bad.

Not one of you had the phone the OP had, so to say what could be fixed on that phone based on their experience doesn't make a lot of sense. That phone could be defective.
If the OP chooses to give up on it based on their experience it's their choice.
You guys didn't build the phone, there is no need to be so defensive over a piece of electronic equipment.

no doubt

JohnnyDroid

Reaction score
Rampant (op) - I'd just like to say thanks for giving a review of what you consider important in a smartphone. Everyone gets (understandably) caught up in how awesome the new technology is and many of them only need a telephone for incidental use. When your business is on the line, the phone part of smartphone had better shine.

My situation is somewhat similar to yours and if I have to constantly ask people to repeat themselves they'll hate dealing with me and that's just not good business. To me, the "smart" things a smartphone can do is just a bonus, firstly a phone had better be a good phone.

DHO

Reaction score
1) Yes the reception has issues and I been hounding them since day one. With that said I believe its software and will be fixed considering we had similar issues with tbolt, bionic, and razr.

2) Eh this can be fixed with volume +

I must admit this is the best phone I have ever used and the only Achilles heel is the reception. At the same time the nexus is not for every one. I am on 4.03 and its a big improvement over 4.02.

The perfect responce

captdroid

Reaction score
Rampant (op) - I'd just like to say thanks for giving a review of what you consider important in a smartphone. Everyone gets (understandably) caught up in how awesome the new technology is and many of them only need a telephone for incidental use. When your business is on the line, the phone part of smartphone had better shine.

My situation is somewhat similar to yours and if I have to constantly ask people to repeat themselves they'll hate dealing with me and that's just not good business. To me, the "smart" things a smartphone can do is just a bonus, firstly a phone had better be a good phone.

Time for a Razr or.... :) Keep in mind that some people are experiencing call issues but many are not. As for data there seems to be a problem with how Verizon is authenticating connections for data thus causing problems on all 4g phones. I have not experienced call problems or data connection problems. And as a side note I live in a area with very poor signal (in the sticks :))... always has been even with my D1... my GN works just as good as my D1 did signal wise placing and receiving calls.

Last edited:

x25064

Reaction score
I don't mean to be the poster who contradicts the OP, but in all honesty I have seriously never had call reception issues. Of all the things my phone does, calling is what its best at. I find it curious there are calling issues out there. Since they are less common then data signal issues, I would almost say that THOSE handsets are in fact defective.

What I do have however, is slight trouble with my data reception between 3g and 4g. I was with you Rampant, I vehemently hated the phone on day 1-3, but now I love it, ans despite its small bugs, its a really awesome handset. Its unfortunate you didn't give it more of a shot. You did have til January 15th you know.

Also this "update" you speak of is nonexistant. 4.0.3 has not been released OTA for the cdma gnex. If you are referring to 4.0.2, well yeah, we all know it was a band aid on an open gash.

Also, your lucky you posted this here and not androidforums, you'd probably get banned.

OP
R

Rampant

Reaction score
lol I keep getting email updates about this thread.

Perhaps I should have kept it more days, but I really didn't want to. I definitely liked everything else about the phone outside the 'phone' issues. I didn't expect call clarity to be improved via software, that occurs to me as more of a hardware thing. Maybe connection strength thing as well but when I was able to get good connection it still wasn't what I needed. It could also have been a bad phone, and perhaps switching it out a few times would have fixed it.

I don't want to pile on the nexus in general. There were lots of things I liked about the phone which I mentioned in passing. I really liked the form factor (more than the Razr), I liked the lack of camera lag. I didn't own it long enough to comment on the battery but all smartphones seem to die really fast if you use the internet, gps, etc, for long. I didn't expect much there. ICS was pretty nice, and definitely an overall nicer experience than gingerbread, but for my needs it needed more refinement and I needed a phone NOW. My droid 1 was cracked, buggy, needed reboots all the time, etc, and I had already held out for a good long while as long as it worked as a phone (GPS would turn off randomly a lot).

So for fairness, stuff that sux about the Razr: form factor isn't as nice, being thin and wide and not really fitting in the hand, the overall shape isn't balanced due to the camera, motorola puts retarded stuff on their phones (though most of that got fixed with AWD or whatever), I don't like that every time I plug it into my mac it pops up an install box for like motoconnect or something like that.

If you look at what I need from a phone though (posted above) all of that is pretty small. The core stuff (phone quality, GPS, camera is good-nuff, internet is about the same as the Gnex), then there ya go.

To be clear: I'm a real stickler about voice quality. truth be told after this many years I'm sad voice quality is only the same as the droid, as I can still hear the 'phone-y' compression on the signal. I long for the day when they boost signal bitrate or whatever so that it sounds like natural voice.

For those that love their nexus I'm glad. I don't know if mine (and others) are defective or what. But for people like me who need the phone to be exemplary it may not be the best fit. If the network is part of that I put in above that I'm in NC (though I travel north as far as philly). Perhaps things are different in other areas.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I don't mean to be the poster who contradicts the OP, but in all honesty I have seriously never had call reception issues. Of all the things my phone does, calling is what its best at. I find it curious there are calling issues out there. Since they are less common then data signal issues, I would almost say that THOSE handsets are in fact defective.

What I do have however, is slight trouble with my data reception between 3g and 4g. I was with you Rampant, I vehemently hated the phone on day 1-3, but now I love it, ans despite its small bugs, its a really awesome handset. Its unfortunate you didn't give it more of a shot. You did have til January 15th you know.

Also this "update" you speak of is nonexistant. 4.0.3 has not been released OTA for the cdma gnex. If you are referring to 4.0.2, well yeah, we all know it was a band aid on an open gash.

Also, your lucky you posted this here and not androidforums, you'd probably get banned.

No joke. I'm on probation over there because my opinions are unbiased instead of falling all over myself and ignoring that the phone has issues.

I don't have any problems with data loss, call quality, speaker volume, USB transfers, or wifi.
My problems are with voice dialing over BT, the camera, and the web browsing.

I was told I was flaming a user because he comes into every single thread if someone says something negative and tells them they are wrong, and when he did it to me, I told him he was predictable and I knew he would post a reply.

Dilligaf

Reaction score
I, for one, appreciate getting all opinions, positive and negative, on this phone - BEFORE dropping 4 c-notes on the phone and necessary accessories (car dock, etc). I have had my hands on one at the Verizon store and was impressed with it - and want it - but it's nice to have real-world reports. I DO root and want a phone with an unlocked bootloader...BUT I do use it, first and foremost, as a phone. The Razr has certain downsides which make it a no-go for me. I'll keep watching these threads for a while before pulling the trigger. Thanks to both sides here ;-)

Via OG Droid running rooted 2.3.x

wil318466

Reaction score
I've had absolutely zero reception issues. It must be an area thing. I would go so far as to say if you live in a metro area you'll have almost no reception issues.

It's pretty weird that I could have such a different experience than another person, so it MUST be location. If anything call quality has gotten better. I've never had a dropped call yet, and I've not lost data once. I work kind of far from a metro area (deep in the suburbs) and I only get 3g out there, but other than that the device is perfect as far as signal/call reception.

Just don't get it.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I've had absolutely zero reception issues. It must be an area thing. I would go so far as to say if you live in a metro area you'll have almost no reception issues.

It's pretty weird that I could have such a different experience than another person, so it MUST be location. If anything call quality has gotten better. I've never had a dropped call yet, and I've not lost data once. I work kind of far from a metro area (deep in the suburbs) and I only get 3g out there, but other than that the device is perfect as far as signal/call reception.

Just don't get it.

There are plenty of threads where people say they are in great 4G areas and getting a bad signal. There are also threads saying that verizon has admitted there are signal issues.
I also saw a thread that says verizon said, there are no problems.