A WARNING for Galaxy Nexus potential buyers

rumblee1

Reaction score
All phones have some sort of issues even though they shouldn't. But keep in mind, nexus is made by samsung. That means quality is NOT job 1. I've owned a samsung phone, it worked fine, but didn't last and I baby all of my electronic devices. But moto phones are number 1 in build quality, call quality too. Only thing id like to see better is a the camera.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
R

Rampant

Reaction score
But... if your happy with the RAZR, why are you here bashing the nexus? You're only inviting those of us that love our nexus phones to give you a million reasons why you're wrong and you should have kept it. :)

I waited for the nexus to come out, and passed up some really really good black friday deals on the Razr, bionic, etc. I'm putting this out there for those who go read all the awesome reviews by people who are into the phone for the cool tech (which was in fact genuinely cool). I love tech but I'm not really a techie (despite doing programming for a living, among other things lol)...

The Razr isn't perfect. if I could have the razr guts inside the samsung shell I'd be really happy. the form factor was nicer to hold by a large margin. If it IS a defective radio that's too bad. Unfortunately, it appears that the batch is pretty huge given what I've seen so far (including the sales guy's phone).

Those who love the GNex, awesome. Glad you're happy. But those who use their phone as phone.... need to get another perspective. I was excited as hell and then tremendously disappointed.

I liked ICS for the most part, and it was fast as hell. I agree that Motorola should kill it's retarded motorblur but you can kill that and I haven't found it get in the way at all.

For those who say "oh he had it for just a day" yes... it was that bad. why wait a week when it sucks day 1??

Perhaps it was a bad one. just be warned. Quality is not what I expected from the hype.

Last edited:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Wow, I'm having Bionic release month flashbacks! Every phone that comes out will have good and bad examples.

captdroid

Reaction score
I waited for the nexus to come out, and passed up some really really good black friday deals on the Razr, bionic, etc. I'm putting this out there for those who go read all the awesome reviews by people who are into the phone for the cool tech (which was in fact genuinely cool). I love tech but I'm not really a techie (despite doing programming for a living, among other things lol)...

The Razr isn't perfect. if I could have the razr guts inside the samsung shell I'd be really happy. the form factor was nicer to hold by a large margin. If it IS a defective radio that's too bad. Unfortunately, it appears that the batch is pretty huge given what I've seen so far (including the sales guy's phone).

Those who love the GNex, awesome. Glad you're happy. But those who use their phone as phone.... need to get another perspective. I was excited as hell and then tremendously disappointed.

I liked ICS for the most part, and it was fast as hell. I agree that Motorola should kill it's retarded motorblur but you can kill that and I haven't found it get in the way at all.

For those who say "oh he had it for just a day" yes... it was that bad. why wait a week when it sucks day 1??

Perhaps it was a bad one. just be warned. Quality is not what I expected from the hype.

IDK man I been using my Galaxy Nexus as a phone as a phone as a phone... lol and it works just fine as a phone as a phone as a phone :D

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
If you want to get rid of blur just install a custom launcher like ADW or GO. BTW, look at the task manager on your RAZR and see how much crap there is running in the bg, moto and verizon have out done them selves on that one. So many processes running felt like windows vista.

OP
R

Rampant

Reaction score
I'll check the task manager and kill what I can, thanks. I did notice that it ran with more lag than the nexus despite having the same chip.

edit: killed stuff, wasn't actually too bad. am I missing stuff??? But I had already installed ADW so everything looks great now.

Last edited:

GoBears

Reaction score
Yeah because nobody else has said a bad word about the Nexus. Look, if you're happy with what you have then leave it at that. Why troll the forum with your negative review? You didn't even give the phone a chance or get a new one in case you got a dud. I have a razr also and it just sits here. It has just as many problems as the Nex does so don't try and sway people into the Razr. So you're gonna root your Razr and debloat it? Have fun with no FXZ file to return to stock for updates. You gave your perspective and I just gave mine. I'm just so sick and tired of the Razr>Nexus posts. Go enjoy your phone and let us enjoy ours. Thanks and Happy New Year.

GoBears! (Well next season that is)

doublea500

Reaction score
you didnt give the galaxy nexus a fair chance. even if you didnt like it, theres no way a person would go back to return it on the same night. thats like buying a labtop, going to a borders (if they are still there :D), writing up a document and looking on the internet then coming back a few hours later saying it sucks.

OP
R

Rampant

Reaction score
pretty easy to do if you buy in the morning and return at night. I used the phone all day as I was traveling and pretty much working it constantly. so... 12 continual hours of real use. But enough. Clearly I am just riling you guys up. Enjoy your phones. I hope those on the fence find this useful.

I'll head to a different forum now, so you guys can unwind lol.

captdroid

Reaction score
pretty easy to do if you buy in the morning and return at night. I used the phone all day as I was traveling and pretty much working it constantly. so... 12 continual hours of real use. But enough. Clearly I am just riling you guys up. Enjoy your phones. I hope those on the fence find this useful.

:kiss:

GoBears

Reaction score

Well you did log on the Nexus forum, bash the phone and praise your Razr. Not sure what kind of response you were expecting. Anyway I'm glad you enjoy your Razr because obviously the Nexus wasn't for you.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C

K bye! Thanks for the WARNING! :icon_ devil:

GoBears

Reaction score
Anyway I thought there was a sticky thread for people to post about the reception issues? I wish people would read a bit before posting new threads on the same old crap.

Reaction score
Bought a Nexus, returned it by end of day.

Here is why:
1. Reception, despite the update, is still godaweful. Areas that were rock solid on my old droid (The original, droid #1) flaked like crazy. This is post update. Wow.
2. Call quality was mediocre at best. I don't know how much of this was due to the bad signal but it was just unacceptable. It's a phone. It should do phone stuff first and foremost.
3. This is a showstopper, and is an ICS issue... There is no good way to filter contacts so that it only shows contacts with phone #s. I have 1700 contacts in my google account, mostly people who have emailed me, etc. I have maybe...200 numbers. The option to 'only show contacts with phone #s' is missing in ICS. Which means that you either scroll through all these contacts OR you set up a custom group and set the nexus to just display that group (I called mine 'phone') and then remember to add every new contact with a phone # to that group. If you forget, you have to hunt them down (you DO remember their name, right??) and add them to that group for them to show up in your list. Which, given that I mainly meet people when out partying is just not going to happen, or the girl hits 'done' in my phone when she adds her number and now I gotta go find it the next morning. Yeesh. Totally unacceptable.

The rest was awesome, especially the camera, but as a PHONE it failed horribly. I'm talking total dog**** garbage. But your experience may vary.

So anybody who actually uses their phone as... a phone... should steer far far away. Geeks who like to root it and screw around with apps and other tech gizmo stuff will have a ball as long as they avoid trying to talk to anyone.

Just my 2c. I took it back and got a Razr which works much better (though it has the retarded motorola bloat on it... sigh).

My suggestion: if you really want ICS wait for a different phone. Software can fix the absolutely idiotic contacts issue, but the speaker and antenna quality is godawful and software can only do so much there.

View attachment 44900