A WARNING for Galaxy Nexus potential buyers

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by Rampant, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Rampant

Rampant New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bought a Nexus, returned it by end of day.

Here is why:
    1. Reception, despite the update, is still godaweful. Areas that were rock solid on my old droid (The original, droid #1) flaked like crazy. This is post update. Wow.
    2. Call quality was mediocre at best. I don't know how much of this was due to the bad signal but it was just unacceptable. It's a phone. It should do phone stuff first and foremost.
    3. This is a showstopper, and is an ICS issue... There is no good way to filter contacts so that it only shows contacts with phone #s. I have 1700 contacts in my google account, mostly people who have emailed me, etc. I have maybe...200 numbers. The option to 'only show contacts with phone #s' is missing in ICS. Which means that you either scroll through all these contacts OR you set up a custom group and set the nexus to just display that group (I called mine 'phone') and then remember to add every new contact with a phone # to that group. If you forget, you have to hunt them down (you DO remember their name, right??) and add them to that group for them to show up in your list. Which, given that I mainly meet people when out partying is just not going to happen, or the girl hits 'done' in my phone when she adds her number and now I gotta go find it the next morning. Yeesh. Totally unacceptable.

The rest was awesome, especially the camera, but as a PHONE it failed horribly. I'm talking total dog**** garbage. But your experience may vary.

So anybody who actually uses their phone as... a phone... should steer far far away. Geeks who like to root it and screw around with apps and other tech gizmo stuff will have a ball as long as they avoid trying to talk to anyone.

Just my 2c. I took it back and got a Razr which works much better (though it has the retarded motorola bloat on it... sigh).

My suggestion: if you really want ICS wait for a different phone. Software can fix the absolutely idiotic contacts issue, but the speaker and antenna quality is godawful and software can only do so much there.

2. was240

was240 New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I disagree with everything you stated... I love my nexus and have no issues at all. Sorry that you had bad luck but mine works great all on all aspects. I like it better than the razr because it is easier to sync and control what gets synced.

3. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    If you view your contacts from the phone app it will show only contacts with phone numbers.

4. alpine

alpine Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Too bad you feel that way.i have not done anything with the radios and better connection than my og did.

secondly, the speaker issue is being fixed, for the tune being you can grab the free app called volume plus, issue solved.

thirdly, call issue seems fine to me in fact better once again than the og.

good luck with a locked phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

5. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,813

1) Yes the reception has issues and I been hounding them since day one. With that said I believe its software and will be fixed considering we had similar issues with tbolt, bionic, and razr.

2) Eh this can be fixed with volume +

I must admit this is the best phone I have ever used and the only Achilles heel is the reception. At the same time the nexus is not for every one. I am on 4.03 and its a big improvement over 4.02.

6. Rampant

Rampant New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use contacts for a LOT of stuff.

The sound quality issue was NOT volume. It wasn't that it was hard to hear, but hard to understand. More compressed sounding and losing a lot of voice detail. People I called complained as well. It might just be my area (NC). One of the sales people had a nexus and let me use his to compare... his was worse actually... which means there might be some serious variation in how nice the phone is, hardware quality.

The rest of the phone was top notch but reception issues are just totally unacceptable. The new Razr is getting perfect reception where I am where I was dropping calls left and right a day ago. Your region may vary.

The sad thing is I liked everything about the phone other than it was unusable lol.

It is possible that voice quality will be fixed but I won't wait for people to fix a problem like that. It was so bad on my phone that even a day was enough for me to send it back. Areas where I normally get 4-5 bars got 1-2 and people's voices cut out constantly.

Other than that... great phone, as long as you didn't use the phone. I liked the size, build quality seemed fine, liked the way it fit in my hand, but at least in my area the phone aspect was not really usable reliably, and that is a total showstopper for me.

7. Rampant

Rampant New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    for reference, I work in advertising, organize a nonprofit, and am constantly on the road and talking to people. Bad reception and call clarity (people on the other end complained to) is just not going to fly, not even for 24 hours. I can't wait for samsung/verizon to debug their phone nor will I wait and hope.

The Razr has been flawless thus far, and people have noticed I sound 'like you again'. And I haven't had a single dropped call vs 10+ yesterday.

8. tjk629

tjk629 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Current Phone Model:
    NEXUS 6
    Samsung phones in general aren't stellar in the reception/call quality department.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

9. GeneralZod

GeneralZod Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I think people drastically overestimate the value (to the buying population) of having an unlocked phone. Of all the pros / cons people list for phones on these forums, a locked / unlocked phone is probably the pro / con the typical buyer cares about least. I've been following the Nexus and RAZR forums for weeks, trying to decide between the two, and having an unlocked phone isn't even something I'm weighing in my decision. Again, just a matter of personal preference.

10. manilaboy1vic

manilaboy1vic Member

Ratings:
    +3
    i wonder if there is a bad batch of phones out there.. ive shown no signal but still able to browse.. i havent dropped any calls at all.

the launch was not the greatest either.. i believe there was a nationwide outage that followed the launch.. .. whatever.. i dig the nexus.. keeping it. :hail:DancingNexus

#10 manilaboy1vic, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  11. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery
    Developer

Ratings:
    +17
    Can't explain but i am still on 4.0.2 and never dropped a call, no data drops, no issues what so ever. I got well over 2000 contacts on my Gmail account and my phone will display the contacts with a phone number first.

I had the RAZR for 5 weeks prior and dropped data 3 - 8 times per day (3 and 4g), call quality was fine (just like the Nexus) and built quality was great (beats the nexus). BUT, full of blur and bloatware, to wide, CRAPPY Camera, speaker rattle, over all not a bad device but wont compare to the Nexus IMO.

12. honors21

honors21 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nexus is a solid phone I go through phones like crazy but I finally found a keeper!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Search tags for this page
galaxy nexus call problems

galaxy nexus call quality

galaxy nexus call quality fix

galaxy nexus muffled sound
galaxy nexus phone sound quality
galaxy nexus.radio muffles calls
how bad is galaxy nexus radio?
how to improve galaxy nexus call quality
samsung galaxy nexus sound quality
voice recorder galaxy nexus