A to-do list, please

denakisland

Reaction score
Pacific NW. Not so North and not so West.
I'm getting my new Eris in hand today. I've had about enough of my Omnia. Especially after replacement, after replacement, after... well, you get it. Loved my Omnia after using a Crackberry, but the speaker went out in my 1st Omnia and every replacement has been garbage ever since.
I'm a google-everything user so this seemed the best choice and I just did not like the way the regular Droid fit into my hand.
So... I open the box, charge it up and then what?
I'm a crazy-list maker so I figured it would be better if I consulted with other Eris users and learned from their processes... What should I do first, second, third and so on.
What are your favorite apps? What should I avoid? I've been following this forum for a few days, so I know I made the right decision choosing the Eris!

KickedAsh

Reaction score
I suppose the first thing to do is to "personalize" the phone to your own preferences. Make sure the clock is set for your location/time, choose the background that fits your style, and then play around with the settings (changing sound notifications and ringtone).

Here are some good websites for more info and most popular apps for you to try:

Your Android and You 101:
http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Android-Devices/Your-Android-Phone-and-You-101/m-p/112654#M1852http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Android-Devices/Your-Android-Phone-and-You-101/m-p/112654#M1852

Droid-Eris Product Support:
HTC Mobile Phone Support - DROID ERIS by HTC (Verizon) - Tips and Tricks

Android Central Forum:
HTC Droid Eris - Android Central Forums

HTC Droid-Eris Forum:
HTC Droid Eris - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Droid-Eris Favorite Apps:
Verizon's Top Best Favorite Android Apps 2Day for Droid and Droid Eris by HTC - WIRELESS AND MOBILE NEWS

Good Luck... and have fun!

-Gary-

OP
denakisland

denakisland

Reaction score
Thank you kindly!
I've received, activated and played some. I'm pretty happy so far, although the keyboard seems a little "choppy" and unreliable compared to what I'm used to. I'm sure that will get easier with use.
Any other suggestions? I really appreciate it!

stdesign

Reaction score
Another vote for HandyCalc... It'll do just about anything you want to do with numbers. Period.

Speaking of lists; I quite like the Note Everything app for memos and many types of notes (including audio notes). If you'd like to manage your files better on your memory card, I'd suggest the Astro file manager app for that. Ringdroid is an excellent audio editing app for making ringtones from mp3's. I'm using Volume Control and Timerific to manage and schedule the sounds on my Droid. The app Market is easy to use, and search through, just read up on your phone's specs, and you'll be fine. Hope that helps :) .

OP
denakisland

denakisland

Reaction score
Thank you kindly!

So, here I am 2 weeks later (has it really only been 2 weeks?) and I love my phone. This was an awesome decision and this is an amazing phone.
Advanced Task Manager was the first thing I put on my phone and it's priceless. (Seriously, it's free!)
ASTRO is extremely handy.
Love Handicalc for anything more than adding up groceries (or whatever.)
Ringdroid is just plain cool.
Volume Control simplifies well, um controlling volume.
Where is handy and I've used it a few times.
I like Key Ring Reward Cards when I can get it to work.
I love to read and have always used Wattpad on my smart phones. I love this UI on the droid. It's probably my favorite, even over the BB. The only thing that could make me happier with it is if I could always find the book I'm looking for.
My Battery Status seems to be sufficient for what I need it for.
Now as for lists (cuz I'm a list maker, remember?) I have not been able to find something I really like. I've been researching though. I use OneNote on my computer and would be eternally happy if I could figure out a way to sync with what I already use, but until then I'm playing around with Mr Lister. BTW I hate the name.
This is a fun and useless app.
I have to say, I love all the useless apps for kids. It's helped keep my daughter occupied when I need her to be. ABCs, #s, spelling fun, Random "art" makes for a lot of fun for a 3 year old.
Ok... so I'm not a huge texter but do text. Do I really need Handcent? I haven't even bothered with a download because I'm not sure it's necessary. Is it?
And I'm waiting patiently for an invite from Google for Voice, but until then I will just be jealous of all those that have it.

Last edited:

ShiftBreak

Reaction score
If you're like me and have trouble keeping up with your sometimes, I HIGHLY suggest you get Where's my Droid.

OP
denakisland

denakisland

Reaction score
If you're like me and have trouble keeping up with your sometimes, I HIGHLY suggest you get Where's my Droid.

My phone rarely, rarely, and I mean rarely actually leaves my hand (or pocket), so I think I'm good. I do have Mobile Defense in case it gets stolen or left behind somewhere. Maybe it'll sprout legs and run away* screaming at some point. It would be good to go and retrieve it.

*This would not entirely surprise me considering everything else it can seemingly do.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok... so I'm not a huge texter but do text. Do I really need Handcent? I haven't even bothered with a download because I'm not sure it's necessary. Is it?

I havent used Handcent on my wifes Eris, but it took about 30 minutes for me to decide I didnt like the stock messenger app on my Droid. Download it, use it for a day or two, and see if you like it. Your stock messenger app will receive your messages in the background, so even if you dont like Handcent and uninstall it, you wont loose any messages.
Let me know if you like it, and I might just install it on my wifes Eris...lol

OP
denakisland

denakisland

Reaction score

I havent used Handcent on my wifes Eris, but it took about 30 minutes for me to decide I didnt like the stock messenger app on my Droid. Download it, use it for a day or two, and see if you like it. Your stock messenger app will receive your messages in the background, so even if you dont like Handcent and uninstall it, you wont loose any messages.

It's pretty damn cool.

Damien

Reaction score
Here's what I have so far..

Astro- Awesome file manager

gps status-it's a simple GPS receiver.. can set it to find a certain coordinates or to mark certain coordinates. Supported by adware, but ads can be disabled by finding the free unlock code on the developers website.

Both Swype and ShapeWriter do the same thing.. I'm trying out both to see what I prefer. Both are in Beta status right now

eBuddy- Instant Messaging client for several instant messengers.

WiFinder- Wifi scanner that will connect you to all types of networks.

Free Advanced Task Manager- Task manager..

Handcent- Instant messaging manager.. Better than the default program.

All of these programs (Except Swype) can be found in the marketplace.

-Damien

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm getting my new Eris in hand today. I've had about enough of my Omnia. Especially after replacement, after replacement, after... well, you get it. Loved my Omnia after using a Crackberry, but the speaker went out in my 1st Omnia and every replacement has been garbage ever since.
I'm a google-everything user so this seemed the best choice and I just did not like the way the regular Droid fit into my hand.
So... I open the box, charge it up and then what?
I'm a crazy-list maker so I figured it would be better if I consulted with other Eris users and learned from their processes... What should I do first, second, third and so on.
What are your favorite apps? What should I avoid? I've been following this forum for a few days, so I know I made the right decision choosing the Eris!
Welcome. The forums here are very helpful. Here are some topics that may be of interest to you:

karib

Reaction score

I love handcent on my eris, mostly because it gives me the ability to send multiple texts at once. The stock messange system does not. So if I want to send a text to say, 3 friends to see about a movie tonight, I just select the friends and write on text to send to all instead of texting them individually! Plus, I just love the way it looks, you can personalize it too by choosing different bubble colors and such :heart: