A shot int the dark, but hey! There's a lot of peeps here.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have the 1995 GMC 2500 PU truck and some time ago the windshield washer quit on me. The wipers still work, in fact I think everything still works but those. I looked through the fuses and not only is there nothing labeled specifically for the washer, they all look good.

There's no power to the pump when they're turned on but if I hook it directly to the battery it spins. I'm really hoping that it's not the switch in the steering console, I don't want to think what that entails.

So is there another "hidden" fuse box? I looked at the one under the hood and the one on the side of the dash against the driver's door.

Thanks for reading.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
have you tried booting up while holding x?

oh wait wrong section...

sorry i dont know anything about cars except where i put the gas :) hope u figure it out

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't know about chevy but some manufactures put an inline fuse on it.. you would have to track it down..if i had to guess near firewall..

did you make sure it was not the connector having corrosion in it? i know you said you hooked jumper wire to it.. i just dont know how you did it..

the main fuse is most likely with the wipers.. there is a relay for it as well

all kinds of ways to diagnose problem.. all you need a voltmeter and start testing for continuity..

BTW switch is not bad to replace i replaced a couple of them when i was in the trade .. couple of hours if i remeber correctly

hope this helps.. may check with GM for some reason i think i have seen i recall on something like that just dont remeber the years

Last edited:

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
have you tried booting up while holding x?

oh wait wrong section...

sorry i dont know anything about cars except where i put the gas :) hope u figure it out

he probably didn't make a nandroid either :icon_eek:

Smokie

Reaction score
the pump probably shares a fuse with something else.. also, did you try looking for a relay for it? If the relay is bad then that would obviously keep the pump from turning on and off.. so.. if the pump turns on with power when you jump it, you know its not the pump.. which means either: the switch, the relay, or the fuse, or all 3 are bad. If i remember correctly on my old GMC Jimmy the wiper switch went bad and I had to get the whole stalk assembly off the left hand side of the wheel replaced. also, this is not really the forum for 15 year old truck diagnostic.. I'm sure some where there is a GMC truck forum where a number of people could answer the question for you quickly much like someone here could answer a question relating to a cell phone.. good luck :D

GeLopez

Reaction score
you can run your own switch directly to the battery and mount a switch to your dashboard

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.
I know, but don't want to join another forum ;)
Plug is spotless (rubber seal).
There's only about 3 inches of exposed wiring before is disappears in to the plastic wrapped wiring harness.
I saw a relay for the wipers, but they work so I assumed it's good.
pulled every regular fuse and none were apparently blown.
Seriously considering the under dash push-button route.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
JanetGaloredetailofPeeps.jpg

Is that how you think of all of us ????

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Make sure it's got washer fluid in it.

:)

this could be an option. i don't know about yours but both of my cars have a fluid level switch inside the reservoir and if its too low the pump wont come on.

might want to check and see if the switch(if you have one) is there and working. They can be tested with a simple multimeter.