A Scratch!

Bixby

Reaction score
I used to be a anal screen protector guy & spent lots of unnecessary funds buying many different kinds on former devices. Compared to the 'naked' screen, the feel, touch & sensitivity just isn't the same to me...
However, I have had this phone since launch & no scratches yet. I just keep a microfiber cloth on me & keep the screen clean of debris in a dedicated pocket. I do indeed think its Gorilla Glass.

Sent from my Rooted DROID3

donerico

Reaction score
I used to be a anal screen protector guy & spent lots of unnecessary funds buying many different kinds on former devices. Compared to the 'naked' screen, the feel, touch & sensitivity just isn't the same to me...
However, I have had this phone since launch & no scratches yet. I just keep a microfiber cloth on me & keep the screen clean of debris in a dedicated pocket. I do indeed think its Gorilla Glass.

Sent from my Rooted DROID3
I have been doing the same. In fact I also keep mine in a verizon's holster combo. However today I found a 1/4 inch scratch in the middle of my screen, no idea where that came from. My wife found several scratches in her D3 after just a week of use (also being very careful). I had my original droid for a year and a half and no scratches. The D3 screen is definitely not as tough as others. People say it is not the screen that gets scratched but the anti-reflective coating, same thing , a scratch is a scratch, what's the point of gorilla glass if you are going to have an easily scratchable coating.

Reaction score
the scratches everyone is talking about isn't on the glass, its the anti-glare coating that scratches. That's why it seems different then the og droid. The og droid didn't have anti-glare coating just the glass. If we didn't have the coating, it would be scratch free. I hope I cleared thisup for most people.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Big D

Reaction score
Well if it looks exactly like a scratch, what the heck is the difference?

It may as well be a scratch.

SigSoldat

Reaction score
Are you people serious?!? Nobody cares if it's a scratch on the Gorilla glass, the coating on the Gorilla glass, or a fake scratch projected digitally on the Gorilla Glass. The point is, the old screen NEVER scratched and the new screen has already scratched for possibly tens of thousands of users in just the first month.

Why would Motorola take a flawless screen of Gorilla glass and layer it with something that can easily be scratched? Doesn't that defeat the very purpose of Gorilla glass? I have used three different Droid devices with Gorilla glass and I don't see any reduction in glare with my Bionic. I could do a better job of reducing glare with a cheap screen protector that would PROTECT my screen rather than subject it to scratches.

So why put an anti-glare coat that doesn't reduce glare and increases the risk of scratches from 0% to 100%?

nikecar

Reaction score
unless the glass is made of diamonds, it can get scratched. my phone supposedly has GG, but darned if I'm going to risk it.

All it takes it one scratch and you will rue the day you didn't put protection on your friend.

666ogre666

Reaction score
I took a cutting bit from a metal lathe I use to machine parts and tried to scratch the screen on my OG and I couldn't.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Eallan

Reaction score
I took a cutting bit from a metal lathe I use to machine parts and tried to scratch the screen on my OG and I couldn't.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
HSS or Carbide? Carbide should be able to scratch it. A lot depends on the shape as well. If it was a dull or not too agressive bit, it may not be "pointy" enough. My bionic certainly scratched without any contact from industrial equipment and a life in a jean pocket with nothing else.

Droid3Guy

Reaction score
unless the glass is made of diamonds, it can get scratched. my phone supposedly has GG, but darned if I'm going to risk it.

All it takes it one scratch and you will rue the day you didn't put protection on your friend.

Just got my droid 3 the other day. I hear from everyone that Zagg has the best screen protectors out there. I'm also hearing from some folks that they are having problems with the wet version of Zagg and I should get the dry version. I couldn't find a dry version for the droid 3 though. Anyway, just curious what you have and how it is working for you? Thanks.

JPT

Reaction score
I just typed droid 3 screen protectors in amazon, ordered a 2 pack for 2.99. They are cut perfectly, the 1st one i messed up, the 2nd one I got on 99.9% perfect with no bubbles. Had it on almost a month now and it still looks flawless, so obviously, no scratches on my screen here.

Same here. I got my d3 at the beginning of August and put the screen protector on the day of purchase. I was a little ticked at the time that I didn't apply it flawlessly, as there are small bubbles here and there, but after two months, it doesn't bother me at all (still have the original one on there). In fact, the only time I really notice the screen protector is on there is when the screen is dark. It's almost like the protector vanishes once the phone is turned on. I really don't understand why someone would be ant-screen protector. For the record, I'm using Verizon's screen protectors and haven't tried (or needed to try) another brand.

GolfOx

Reaction score
I have used Steinheil protectors on my Tbolt and Droid3. The ultra crystal is great. Bought at Amazon in 2 pak. Lasting well.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums