A Scratch!

Reaction score
What the hell?? Today I discovered a thin scratch on the display near the ear piece. I can't figure out how it got there. I've never dropped it. It never shares a pocket with any other items. It's handled carefully. My original Droid has been dropped multiple times onto hard floors and has been naked except for the initial month when I put a invisible shield wrap on it. The display glass is clean on it. Not even a month and I have this thin line on my D3. Unacceptable.

Is the D3 using inferior glass compared to the original? I do not want to start wrapping it or putting a case on it. I loved that I was able to just have my Droid naked and it stayed relatively pristine (it has some small knicks from falling, but no scratches on the display at all.) I do not care to go the iPhone route: treat it like it's fragile and will be scratched if you so much as lay it down on a surface while naked (which is what happens to the iPhone.)

km75

Reaction score
The D3 uses gorilla glass. So its definitely not inferior.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

rushmore

Reaction score
I thought this was a joke post, since both the D3 and iPhone have Gorilla glass. Still, there is a reason screen protectors are a big business, since you can still scratch them.

I have protectors on my D3 and iPod 4.

superdan84

Reaction score
Same here

Yea, I had mine for 2 days before I noticed a bunch of really little scratches up near the top. I have no idea what they are from. You can actually run your finger nail across them and feel them. Whichis BS because like you I had my original Droid for over 2 years and theres not a scratch on the screen at all. Never had a protector on it. The case is beat to s@%t but the screen is perfect. I tried going to verizon and they wouldnt do anything about it. Had to break down and get protectors. I think somethings up.

jas595

Reaction score
After reading these posts, I closely examined my Droid 3, which I assure you has been babied and I too found a small scratch on the screen. My Droid 1 was dropped multiple times and banged to hell inadvertantly but the screen was perfect (without a screen protector BTW), and now I have a scratch already! Bummer, but I smell a rat, I find it hard to believe this is Gorilla glass. Time for a screen protector.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
So far I don't have a scratch yet. I've been babying this thing though. Case and screen protectors even though I hate them. Guess they're a necessity this time around.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

OP
B
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it's no joke. I love my Droid 3, but this does not make me happy. I'm getting a new replacement because I was able to show random reboots occuring to a Verizon rep, but apparently I am going to have to slap a protective screen on it. Really, there was no need to do this with the original. This would be something to take up with Motorola.

This is definitely not the same glass, not if others like me are finding the same problem.

Any links to specific D3-sized screen protectors are appreciated. The smoother and more unnoticeable the better. I ripped the Invisible Shield off my original because it was like having sex with a condom.. just doesn't feel satisfying.

militant

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it's no joke. I love my Droid 3, but this does not make me happy. I'm getting a new replacement because I was able to show random reboots occuring to a Verizon rep, but apparently I am going to have to slap a protective screen on it. Really, there was no need to do this with the original. This would be something to take up with Motorola.

This is definitely not the same glass, not if others like me are finding the same problem.

Any links to specific D3-sized screen protectors are appreciated. The smoother and more unnoticeable the better. I ripped the Invisible Shield off my original because it was like having sex with a condom.. just doesn't feel satisfying.

I just typed droid 3 screen protectors in amazon, ordered a 2 pack for 2.99. They are cut perfectly, the 1st one i messed up, the 2nd one I got on 99.9% perfect with no bubbles. Had it on almost a month now and it still looks flawless, so obviously, no scratches on my screen here.

Slow88lx

Reaction score
Did someone swipe it with a diamond ring? Idk what else could scratch it. I've only had my D3 for 2 weeks, but I had my DX for a whole year without a scratch. I hate screen protectors!

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No scratches here. Though, I've had a screen protector on since day one since I really wanna keep this in pristine condition. I will say my Droid had no screen protector or cause and that thing was a beast! No scratches(that I noticed?).

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

SigSoldat

Reaction score
For all you unbelievers, I highly recommend you find a screen protector before you discover the truth. I have no idea what they changed, but I can guarantee this is not the exact same glass as the original Droid.

I always carry mine in my front pocket with nothing else. I've never dropped it, laid it face down, thrown it in a bag or on the couch, etc. It's been babied and I've had it less than a month, but I already discovered a one-inch scratch.

My original Droid survived two years with many, many drops. I threw it in my backpack pocket, along with keys and change. I carried it in my back pocket and sat on it. I've laid it face down, thrown it, let my kid play on it, etc. The glass on it is flawless!

Something was changed and I'm putting a screen protector on before I get more scratches.

SecretAgentMan

Reaction score
Ghost Armor makes a great screen protector. They ship you two, although I doubt you'll ever need the 2nd one.

spdivr1122

Reaction score
The moral of the story is just get screen protectors. It's a touch screen, it's not invincible.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

rvcjew

Reaction score
it appears that what you are all scratching is the anti-glare coating, on top of the screen.