1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

A question for the texting gods

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Spyte, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Spyte

Spyte New Member

I'm new here, so i beg pardon if this has been asked; however i have searched the forums and did not find an answer.

my question is thusly:

as everyone knows, sms msgs are limited to 160 characters to non-verizon phones. idiotic, nonsensical restrictions aside; i have seen referred to in these forums a character count box that while apparantly inconveniently placed, is completely non-existent on my Motorola droid. Has anyone else encountered this conundrum, and if so, is there a setting that i have missed somewhere that would resolve this issue?

Interestingly; i am apparently the only one on these forums who does not like handcent, which i have tried and detest.
  2. okeeffm

okeeffm New Member

Hi Spyte.
    I detest handcent as well. I uses SMS popup and love it.

On to your question....the character counter on my droid for the stock messanger app does not show up until I hit 150 characters. It is displayed as 10/1 at this point. It then counts down to 0/1 when you are at 160 characters. the next character takes it to 145/2. Don't know what those numbers mean but that is what appears when you go over 160. Hope this helps.
  3. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 New Member

Doesn't the stock app make your SMS an MMS after 160 characters? Has this been changed? That is the main reason I use Handcent because it splits the message beyond 160 characters into multiple sms messages.
  4. andrewdoane

andrewdoane New Member

This problem (no character countdown) was discussed in one of the early "internal" memos talking about problems with the Droid. I thought for sure it would be resolved in the first OTA update... along with the email signature problem. Neither one fixed.
  5. Spyte

Spyte New Member

i just typed in about 300 characters using the on-screen keyboard...no character count.

but as soon as i opened up the keyboard i got the count and a msg saying it was being converted to an mms. how quaint.

my love/hate relationship grows by leaps and bounds, unfortunately in the direction of the latter rather than the former. <insert long, theatrical sigh here>
  6. frankieg22x

frankieg22x New Member

not making fun of you...

but you sound like the most sophisticated forum user on here lol
  7. xjman349

xjman349 New Member

I love how everyone gets all crabby about the 160 cap on messages when Verizon is the last person you should be complaining about.
  8. Spyte

Spyte New Member

Perhaps i was a trifle hasty in my previous post as by definition a message sent by sms is short; and upon further experimentation it was proven that even my first observation was nearly without merit. i so desperatley want to love this phone that every new tiny blemish suddenly transforms itself to Mt. Everest. As for being sophisticated, thank you; but i would posit that it's not me, it's the semicolons.
  9. DroidFan

DroidFan New Member

I'm guessing the 145/2 means 145 characters left on message #2... so it's splitting the message into 2 SMS texts.
Search tags for this page
droid smartphone texting thread counts

if you go over 150 characters in texting

motorola droid 4 count text message characters
what happens if you go over the character count on iphone
what happens if you go over the texting letter limit
when you reach your texting limit