a presumptuous newbie?

Trionalaw

Reaction score
I am really having fun with my Droid now that I have rooted it and been given some great advice from the rescue squad, particularly Michael Hartman.

At the risk of seeming presumptuous, I would offer this little tidbit from my experience. I generally have difficulty with my Droid recognizing an “ update.zip ” folder. I would often get the prompt that no such file existed or that the download would be aborted.However, Michael suggested using just “ update ” as the folder name and it works flawlessly.

So it didn't really come from my brain but rather his. Maybe no one has had the same problem. If anyone has, you ought to try this.

Great forum. Thanks so much.

Jim

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Hi Jim,

Yeah that is a common problem. If you are running Windows 7, XP or Vista those systems automatically put the .zip extension on for you. So when someone is having the same issues as you were, we have to always ask first what system they are using and how did they name the file. Believe it or not you are not alone as like I said this is a common problem.

Hope you are doing well.

D.

OP
T

Trionalaw

Reaction score
since you have been helping to me all day, I have a question for you. I am going to load the Sapphire 1.0 ROM, I did the data wipe three times. I then rebooted. The Sapphirecame up and then the green droid.however, I cannot get the green droid to open up.

Do I wipe the cachet partition as well?

Decided to go for it and I wiped it. Still doesn't open.

Edit: I guess it didn't need to open up. I think I have successfully downloaded Sapphire 1.0.As a matter of fact, I have!

Thank you,

Jim

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
You do need to download the Google Apps as well.

If you have not you will soon notice you have no Market : )

OP
T

Trionalaw

Reaction score
thank you, while I did get Sapphire 1.0 downloaded, I did download Google apps. It sent me back to the green droid which would not been opened. I have now restored the previous Sapphire1.0 and will try it again.

OP
T

Trionalaw

Reaction score
thank you, while I did get Sapphire 1.0 downloaded, I did download Google apps. It sent me back to the green droid which would not been opened. I have now restored the previous Sapphire1.0 and will try it again.

OP
T

Trionalaw

Reaction score

Just downloaded the Google apps again. When I rebooted it tells me I have to initially Google application. I get to the green droid and I am told to touch it to begin. When I touch it, nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

OP
T

Trionalaw

Reaction score

Just downloaded the Google apps again. When I rebooted it tells me I have to initially Google application. I get to the green droid and I am told to touch it to begin. When I touch it, nothing happens.

I have rebooted, powered off, and pulled battery. Sometimes when I touch the green Droid it starts to open a menu but too quick for me to read.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Dumb question but I have to ask...did you rename the folder to update (see above) and install it like you did the ROM?

If no you have to install Google APPS like the ROM.

Boot into recovery and install

OP
T

Trionalaw

Reaction score
Dumb question but I have to ask...did you rename the folder to update (see above) and install it like you did the ROM?

If no you have to install Google APPS like the ROM.

Boot into recovery and install

yes, renamed the ROM in the SD and then named Google apps "update" and it loaded fine. I just can't get past the the green Droid.

Thanks.