1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

A piece of lint

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by hayn, Apr 25, 2012.

1. hayn

hayn New Member

So I figured out what was wrong with my camera it wasn't focusing right so I looked at it and a piece of lint is under the lens! How could I get this piece of lint out of my lens?
  2. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

Have you tried using compressed air to blow it out?

The question is how did it get in there? Sounds like an integrity issue. Maybe someone else has had this happen.
  3. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider Member

I would try the compressed air as Sally suggested and keep the phone out of your belly button from now on:D
  4. Robotics

Robotics New Member

Get a vacuum cleaner and try that. This trick also works on fairly big camera lens also :) I have a handheld digital camera, and had dust on the inside, and was ruining my pics. Someone told me about this trick and I'll be damn if it didn't take care of the dust.
  5. mthorn79

mthorn79 New Member

Had my charger not charge and my head phone jack not work due to lint...and was crammed in there too. Never heard of it happening to the camera...wow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  6. hayn

hayn New Member

Ok I'll try all theses methods. I don't know how it got under the lens just tried taking a simple picture and it wouldn't focus on anything that's like 3 feet away from me.
  7. hayn

hayn New Member

How do you do that with the vacuum?
  8. FoxKat

FoxKat Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Also, while vacuuming, tap LIGHTLY with something like a hard plastic spoon on the phone where the lens is and that will help to let the dust detach. This is the way newer digital cameras remove dust from the sensor - by vibrating it at a high frequency and the dust simply falls to the bottom via gravity.
  9. jkaod

jkaod New Member

This ought to get the job done. Bigger hammers are always better.

View attachment 49585
  10. hayn

hayn New Member

Tried this and the dust seems to be gone but it still not focusing right. So do you think its a camera hardware problem or just the camera app issue?
  11. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

Easiest way to tell is download another camera app and try it. I'm afraid it might be hardware.

Be sure you have a lot of light and the camera is steady for your test. Try it with both apps and compare.
  12. hayn

hayn New Member

Yea i downloaded another camera app and its still not focusing. So its hardware problem then.
  13. FoxKat

Hoping you didn't use the Hammer! But seriously. I have a D2 that stopped focusing properly. It was doing fine, then I started getting blurry pictures every once in a while. It got worse over time and eventually it stopped altogether. You can actually hear the lens moving in and out during focusing if you put it up to your ear. If you hear faint clicks that will tell you it's moving in and out to attempt to focus. If you hear nothing (as my D2 eventually did), then the lens is frozen.

You SHOULD be able to see the movement of the actual lens. First put your phone into camera mode. Then, hold the phone vertically with the display facing away at a slight angle, and position the phone with the camera lens so that it's under a bright light and you're looking at it not straight on, but slightly from the side. The light from overhead will cast a small shadow around the focusing element. Then lightly tap your display screen to cause it to refocus and watch the lens (and the shadow) closely. The lens should move outward toward the back of the phone about 1 or 2 mm, then back in as it tries to find focus. If you have the right light and angle you'll see the circular shadow around the inner lens assembly go from almost none to one about 2mm wide and then back to almost no shadow. If this is happening, then it's more likely a software problem for you.

On my D2, it simply didn't move and to be sure I was troubleshooting properly I would tap the phone on the desk either on the back (to focus distance) or on the face (to focus close-up) and could actually take pictures in relatively good focus that way. This proved to me it was a motor issue, not a software one and the camera was still taking pictures accurately given the light that was passing through the lens.

I actually disassembled mine and replaced the camera with one bought from a parts salvager off eBay. It works perfectly now.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  14. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

NEVER use compressed air to clean a phone. It will NOT clear out the dust, it will force it further inside.
  15. FoxKat

I don't disagree with you in part...yes, the dust may blow inward rather than outward, but any airflow in at one spot will result in an equal amount of air flowing out in others. The rule of "path of least resistance" applies here as it does in any "leak", whether gas or fluid. So the compressed air will cause an airflow, and the result will be SOME air flowing out and with it, HOPEFULLY the dust around the lens of the camera.

The preferred method in my opinion would be suction rather than pressure. The problem with pressure (or compressed air) is it comes with other things...mainly moisture. When ambient air is compressed, the humidity in the ambient air is also compressed, so the result is a higher water to air ratio, or better said a higher moisture content in the air that is blowing out of the nozzle. There is also the possibility that along with that higher moisture content is lubricant from the compressor cylinder (which is usually lubricated with light oil).

If you use not compressed "air", but instead compressed GAS as in the over-the-counter cans, you avoid the moisture, and also the "lubricants" and are likely to have an inert gas (not to mention the lack of fragments or airborne particles), that will do NO harm to the phone.

However there is ONE perhaps notable advantage to compressed air over suction...the lack of microscopic fragments that were filtered out by the intake filter on the compressor. Whether the benefit of the lack of fragments is outweighed by the potentially contaminating oil and higher moisture content (remember, this is an electronic device with highly sensitive componentry and traces on the board that are only fractions of milimeters apart, and moisture or water conducts electricity), is debatable. If suction is used, you avoid the increased moisture from the compression and you also avoid the potential oil contamination as well, but you don't avoid sucking into the phone airborne contaminants (mainly...you guessed it, DUST).

This entire process would be best done with suction and in a "clean room" or "clean containment" instead.

My second choice would be compressed gas in a can off the shelf.

My third choice would be suction in an open air environment, and OUTSIDE (which is actually more free of airborne particles for the most part than indoor air - especially after a rain storm when the PPM is extremely low).

My LAST choice would be compressed air from a home or shop air compressor.
  16. hayn

hayn New Member

Well I can take very close up pictures as long as the object is close up but anything far or a good distance away it won't focus.
  17. FoxKat

OK, so it IS taking photos, but won't extend the lens assembly to focus beyond a range of perhaps less than 1 foot? This is almost definitely a hardware failure and would be the motor that moves the lens in and out.

It's done in any one of a number of ways, but typically (and likely) it's an electromagnetic process where the focusing lens sits on a micro-spring assembly similar to a trampoline and then there are 2 or more tiny coils that ride up and down permanent magnet rods. The coil is energized and depending on the amount of power applied determines how high or low on the magnets it sits. These coils do not touch the magnets, but "float" up and down around the magnets. This is most likely exactly like the Laser Lens Assembly in your CD Rom drive or home CD player. The reason it's done this way is because it's such a small amount of movement, and such a small device that it requires so little power to move, but it needs to be so precise.

This normally works beautifully until either the springs become unevenly stretched or the coils are able to move out of alignment. This could be due to a fall or bump, or could be a hardware failure of one of the coils, perhaps a broken wire on the coil so that now only one coil gets energized, or a spring that breaks loose on one of the suspension points. If that happens, they rub on the magnet posts and the up and down movement is impeded. If the rubbing or friction is too strong the assembly can't focus at all and you're left in a fixed focus position somewhere between macro and infinity. Seems yours settled in at the Macro position. The dust you mentioned could also be the cause if it worked in between the two surfaces and essentially prevented the lens from moving freely.

This is almost exactly what mine did. To test this (if you dare), smack it face down (glass side) against your palm a few times (not real hard but like a gentle clapping), but be careful not to hit the glass against a ring for instance, or to hit it unevenly. If you do this and then take a photo, see if the focus rage has moved perhaps further toward infinity. If it hasn't moved or instead moves to a tighter macro position, then flip the phone over and slap it against your palm but this time camera side down. Try the photo again and see if the focal distance has changed. Again, try to take a photo of a distant object and see if it's now either in focus or closer to being in focus. When my D2 camera failed, I was able to do this to get photos when absolutely needed, and I actually got pretty good at hitting the right amount of pressure on the phone to get the lens to move the amount necessary to focus where I wanted by trial and error.

Anyway, if the phone is under 30 days old, take it back immediately and you'll get a brand new phone. Otherwise, again it will still be under the normal warranty but instead of a brand new phone, you'll get a refurbished one.

Good luck!;)
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  18. hayn

hayn New Member

Thanks ill try this and let you know how it turns out.
  19. Robotics

Robotics New Member

Sorry for taking so long to respond. This forum doesnt seem to let me know when someone has responded to a post of mine. I am taking it you figured out how to use the vacuum cleaner trick. (just cover the lens with the hose and let it do its job. And yes taping it will help)

I have noticed sometimes on mine I need to tap on the screen to get it to focus on the subject. Curious if you have tried that yet? (just tap on the screen on the object you need focus)
  20. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

Go to MySettings>General Settings and scroll to Message and Notification. You can set your preferences there.
Search tags for this page
big piece of lint in lens
can lint be taken out of a camera lens
clean camera razr maxx

droid razr cleaning under camera

dust camera droid razr

dust in droid razr maxx lens
galaxy s4 with dust under lense
how do i clean internal camera lens on droid x2?

how to clean behind camera lens on droid maxx xt1080

how to clean lint out of a camera lens
how to clean my android camera lense
how to get dust of droid razr camera

how to get lint out of a camera lens

how to get lint out of lens

motorola razor 4g how to clean out ear piece