A PC Technician With A Droid

Sethdood

Reaction score
Well, I have had my droid for longer then I have been a PC Tech, going to people's houses and repairing their computers. While I was purchasing some tools and tech equipment I realized something very important- I bet this thing can help out!

So far I've been using it in two ways- as a 16gb removable flash drive, and as a way to download drivers for a PC with no functioning internet. There is no way I know of to get said drivers over to the PC in that circumstance, other then drag & drop. This is important, and I'll tell you why: there is no way under those circumstances to browse the files on the host computer or control it in any way.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you use your Droid to troubleshoot PCs? Any good app suggestions? I've been dying for a diagnostic tool or something bootable.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Im not sure man, I'm sure therehas to bsa something in the Market to assist you with something, you would think! But I was trying to think of something to get drivers installed onto the PC without drag and drop, but I don't think there is any other way

cyber3d

Reaction score
You should checkout ES FILE EXPLORER. LAN function so you can access your pc folders from the droid.

coolkidd

Reaction score
I use my Droid just for the flashlight function (when I'm going under the table to see the PC connections....).

I have a custom BartPE USB Flash Drive for my diagnostic, internet, install drivers, etc.

OP
Sethdood

Sethdood

Reaction score
You should checkout ES FILE EXPLORER. LAN function so you can access your pc folders from the droid.

even wifi teather or nomal teather to customers computer to access dropbox.com

I do it all the time.

Verizon doesn't flip out when you tether? Read some things that made it sound liek they would.

Also, I have ES File Explorer but if the host PC has lost it's internet then I can't use it for that.

Jokool_7777

Reaction score
If you can keep the .exe file to install PDAnet on the user's computers, you could just use the teathering feature to get the computer online to download a driver etc instead of downloading the driver etc. to your phone.

stuhasdroid

Reaction score
Bluetooth explorer

There is a Bluetooth ftp app which has some file explorer function in the market. Might be helpful.

Silver Member
Reaction score

even wifi teather or nomal teather to customers computer to access dropbox.com

I do it all the time.

Verizon doesn't flip out when you tether? Read some things that made it sound liek they would.

Also, I have ES File Explorer but if the host PC has lost it's internet then I can't use it for that.
you don't need internet to have a home network.

zakany

Reaction score
I've been dying for a diagnostic tool or something bootable.

Couldn't you put a Linux live disk on your Droid's SD card and set the PC to boot from USB? I do this with a flash drive using a persistant copy of Mint. No reason you couldn't hook up the Droid, mount its card, then boot the PC off the card.

I gotta try this sometime. Boot a computer off my Droid. :icon_eek:

OP
Sethdood

Sethdood

Reaction score
I've been dying for a diagnostic tool or something bootable.

Couldn't you put a Linux live disk on your Droid's SD card and set the PC to boot from USB? I do this with a flash drive using a persistant copy of Mint. No reason you couldn't hook up the Droid, mount its card, then boot the PC off the card.

I gotta try this sometime. Boot a computer off my Droid. :icon_eek:

I Haven't tried that yet but it would absolutely free up the amount of CDs I need to carry! I did think of stuffing a copy of knoppix on the SD Card and seeing if I could boot from it, but I keep thinking that some mobos are gonna see this as a phone/camera and not a portable drive. I'll give it a shot and let you know what happens.

beneharris

Reaction score
just be careful, you don't wnat some crazy file getting on your droid, and getting transferred over to your computer

choklitcow

Reaction score
phonemypc will eventually have the tools you are looking for.

OP
Sethdood

Sethdood

Reaction score
phonemypc will eventually have the tools you are looking for.
Was just looking that over and it seems very promising, although it's not really enough. What if the PC has a bad NIC card and its internet is shot, or if the PC's keyboard isn't working, or it's monitor? If I can't get the computer woking far enough to be able to install my own program (in this case, phonemypc), then it will not help at all, and if I CAN get it working enough to install said program, then I don't need my drioid for anything, except maybe to tether.