A Newbs Experience with Rooting

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by disassemble, Feb 12, 2010.

1. disassemble

disassemble Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I read on the forums for a while and figured i'd go ahead and root the Android. :motdroidhoriz:

I was so used to my slow blackberry:blackberry: that i couldn't take the phone not being able to keep up with my quick paced life. when i heard you were able to overclock the Android OS i got excited.

After reading I thought I would go through the Market and download and support the Sholes.info developers.

So I downloaded the Sholes App. I ran the App followed the directions like listed below in this thread.

[How To] Easily install Bugless Beast using only SPRecovery, Terminal Emulator, & zip

Once I got the OS up and running I purchased for $0.99 the SetCPU app from the market to overclock my Droid. I followed the directions as well and everything was good.

Now i am overclocked Running Sholes but realize its terrible. I try to move some icons to different desktops and it crashes. I try to text and it crashes.. So my next move is to figure out what my next move is. I'll update this thread as I go and hopefully it will help others.

I'll keep playing with sholes till i can't take it anymore and go for another ROM.

question- my phone is now rooted and i have the sholes ROM, can i install (flash) the phone with a new ROM? And the phone is still rooted so its fairly easy?

Thanks.. and hope the discussions that go on in this thread become helpful.

2. SCDroid

SCDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    what options did you install? Reflash the ROM and disable JIT, FLAC and any others that you don't need ( i didnt do the HQ or Youtube HQ). I haven't had one FC on it.

3. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Dis,

It might help for folks to know what you overclocked to. Some phones are not stable at the high end speeds.

In general, before doing much else, you need to make sure you understand SPRecovery, how to get there, and your nandroid backing up.

Craig

4. SCDroid

SCDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    btw i'm oc'd at 800 and i'm very stable. i upped it to 1ghz just to try it and i didn't have any FC's either and the thing was superfast, but was scared to fry my chip.

5. disassemble

disassemble Member

Ratings:
    +0
  6. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Dis,

Yes, it is quite a bit different than what you might be understanding.

Google, syncing and market will take care of your apps and contacts. That's the easy part. The backing up we are talking about with sprecovery is the very foundation of being able to install roms. You can try to do roms without backing up, and one missed step or misplaced type, and your phone ends up possibly wrecked. This type of backing up is your system backup. Literally, as I have posted before, romming with backup is like climbing a cliff without a rope. It can be done, but the only reason to do so is either ignorance or laziness.

This board and members can and have helped with the ignorance side, the laziness side will be your call.

Craig

7. disassemble

disassemble Member

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL i hear ya. do it right the first time. I plugged the darn phone in and it was much easier to do that instead of doing it all OTA with no comp.

I guess i'm running Bugless Beast at 800MHZ. now to find some good apps to customize this phone right! thanks everyone.

can someone point me in the direction on how to apply themes and some widgets to BB?

8. disassemble

disassemble Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So.. Bugless Beast is running well. Google Voice has crashed on me a few times but nothing redundant. I'm running at 1000mhz.

So i've been reading. I wanted to install the Smoked Glass theme but not overwright the BB ROM. So when reading I figured out i need to install DroidRootHelper (which i did) then theres some talk about busybox and metamorph. I can't seem to understand what each do and how they function? I assume after reading they are like an emulator or something so you can run themes.

Can someone point me to some good docs so i can throw some skins/themes on this Beast..

Sholes was terribly unstable
    Beast is holding it own for now.

9. JRFogarty

JRFogarty Member

Ratings:
    +0
    From one newb to another... Page 15 of the below thread (bugless beast 7.5), is some easy code to get the busybox working with Metamorph. If you search for Droidinator, I.C.E or Smoked Glass, you should find some decent themes. I'm running the 1.3 version of smoked glass with the bluedroidmatrix boot theme.

Happy hunting.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-roms/21781-bugless-beast-7-5-a.html

10. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You're the second person in two days that has switched from Sholes to BB for stability reasons.

11. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    BB has the Smoked Glass theme by default. And I'm the other guy who switched from Sholes to BB for stability reasons.

12. disassemble

disassemble Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i supported sholes cause i figured i would. paid the $5 bucks.. it def rooted me which was good cause i didn't have to do anything. then when the sholes ROM was running... all it did was crash.. i mean right outta the gate.. i would say that's not acceptable.

i switched to BuglessBeast following YOUR directions. they were flawless. I hiccuped a bit during installation because i didn't thoroughly read the directions:icon_eek: but i got BB running and i'm loving it. the phone actually can keep up with me. :icon_ banana:

13. disassemble

disassemble Member

Ratings:
    +0
    how and where do i enable it?

14. disassemble

disassemble Member

Ratings:
    +0
    did i mention! on the Sholes ROM when i put my droid into the car dock it wouldn't load up to navigation. it would just stay on the home screen.

with Bugless Beast - it loads navigation like its supposed to. BIG problem for me considering i use my phone as GPS

15. supersaki

supersaki Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm curious which launcher you were using on Sholes. I got FCs a lot with Smoked ROM and Sholes, but I always used the 2.1 launcher with those. When I messed around with the Home launcher, I seldom got crashes.

I didn't do any thorough testing, but I got hard crashes a little too often when I OC to 1ghz. Running at 800mhz it was fast enough and pretty stable.

However, I am currently running BBeast with the Smoked theme and it is stable and pretty much perfect.