A Msg To Those Who Support Android But Not Google

souljerr

Reaction score
I understand and respect his opinion. Personally I just can't get that excited and worked up about a piece of technology and have never been as 'anti' any company as the OP. Oh, wait a minute. I did have a VW Beetle with wiring problems -- I'll never buy a VW again because of it but that's another story...

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Cleaned up thread. Please gentlemen discuss this like adults. If you don't agree that's fine but please refrain from the personal attacks.

Thank you.

daddyd302

Reaction score
"You" chose to "buy" the "Droid" which has the "Google" OS in it. You don't want that, go buy something else, or create your own OS. NOBODY is making you buy Google's OS. Don't buy something and then complain about it. You made the choice to buy it.

The only thing I don't like about Google's android is that there's too many android products, with too many versions. Everyone needs to get on board and get behind one version and not this or that version, making it too hard for developers to develop for. Too many devs have left Android and this will kill off the platform and Google's trying to stop it, and gets attacked for it.

Last edited:
OP
L

LordKastle

Reaction score
No one is saying not to support the Android OS from manufacturers such as Motorola, Dell, Acer, LG, HTC. We are saying that the opposition of Google's infiltration in to the hardware business was a dagger to the back of many involved in the industry. "Et Tu Brute?"

Its understandable that the idea of buying unlocked phones is a good philosophy...however becoming dependent on Google to do this is no different than you going to a carrier or any store like Best Buy. Do not let it fool you. You could buy a Motorola Droid in the future from Google, but it will only work with Verizon. They are not doing anything YET to break the connections of habit within the industry.

And another thing... it's not called "Google OS". It is called "Android OS".....Google integration is fine, slavery is not.

I support my Android OS device.

"You" chose to "buy" the "Droid" which has the "Google" OS in it. You don't want that, go buy something else, or create your own OS. NOBODY is making you buy Google's OS. Don't buy something and then complain about it. You made the choice to buy it.

The only thing I don't like about Google's android is that there's too many android products, with too many versions. Everyone needs to get on board and get behind one version and not this or that version, making it too hard for developers to develop for. Too many devs have left Android and this will kill off the platform and Google's trying to stop it, and gets attacked for it.

Last edited:

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
To clarify misconceptions....

Google did not give Motorola a blueprint to the design of the phone. This was a Motorola phone simply with Google's input for the coding of the Android OS. They wanted to make sure it stayed vanilla as possible. [Meaning no extra coding: Motoblur for example or HTC's SenseUI analogy.]

Do you think Google really said to Motorola, here is how you should create your phone? That is propaganda put out by both sides. Motorola did not create the Droid FOR Google. Motorola just wanted to come out with the best smartphone they could and decided to use the Android OS. There is no evidence of any other true involvement from Google.

The analogy that can be made is this....Foxconn produced the iPhone. No one goes around saying that Foxconn designed the phone. Apple hires them and gives the blueprint of the job. HTC was given a job by Google. Without Google approaching them, this specific Google Phone/Nexus would not exist.

In the empirical world and physical realm...the differences may not be noticeable. But there are indeed philosophical differences between the Android phones and the Nexus One/the actions of Google. We may not be able to see them in front of our eyes...but they exist.

For the last time, you are wrong. A simple Google search proves my point. Here's a quote on one of the first search results:

"Google's involvement: The point that stands out the most is where BGR reports that Google itself had a very large role in the making of the Motorola Droid. “Something to the point of almost dictating every move Motorola made when designing and making the phone,” the site says."

Motorola Droid is the ?Google Phone? we have all been waiting for!

Now please stop with this nonsense as it obviously makes no sense to support the Droid and not the Nexus.

AtlBuc

Reaction score
Wow this made me fall on the floor laughing, my 5 month old daughter is looking at me like I'm crazy. Funny of the day.

BzB

Reaction score
Who is "we"?

tinfoilHat.jpg

DebDroid

Reaction score
simple minded followers........are you sure you aren't talking about the iphone/apple? :p (just kidding of course) lol

Mojo

Reaction score
Wow... this thread has me rolling on the floor! LordKastle, you have officially became "one who flew over the cookoo's nest".
I for one love all that Google is doing! I welcome any new products they come up with. Oh and BTW... Moto will be making some phones to sell exclusively on Google's site as well as HTC

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
For the last time, you are wrong. A simple Google search proves my point. Here's a quote on one of the first search results:

"Google's involvement: The point that stands out the most is where BGR reports that Google itself had a very large role in the making of the Motorola Droid. “Something to the point of almost dictating every move Motorola made when designing and making the phone,” the site says."

Motorola Droid is the ?Google Phone? we have all been waiting for!

In reality the Nexus launch was no different from the G1. The only difference was that Google took the stage. HTC still represented the phone.

The Nexus One is no more a Google phone than the Moto. They are the same thing......2 different Android devices and thats it.

There is no such thing as the Google Phone and there never was. It was internet rumor that got out of hand.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Who is "we"?
Yes, who is "we"? It has been asked many times and never answered.

Is it the royal "we"?

We want to make sure Google does not become our shepherd.
What does this mean? You make many unsupported claims based on dubious assumptions in your rants. How exactly does or how exactly do you think Google will "shepherd" people? What's their motivation? What's their process for doing so? I keep seeing these grandiose and cliched statements but no real substance -- just speculation (proven wrong in some cases already) and opinion presented as fact.

I'm not saying that Google doesn't deserve healthy skepticism. They do. While Google has no track record of "shepherding" or misusing their (our) data we can't ever be certain of what they will do in the future, what might be sold off, or what might happen to the data that Google currently holds in other situations such as mergers, acquisitions, etc. The one strong counterargument I've heard is that Google needs to retain its trust to keep people using their products and to stay relevant.

I'd like to hear your thoughts and opinions but honestly, they always come across as tinfoil hat sound bites to me. Lead people to your point instead of hammering them over the head with it. Explain why you think the way you do rather than preaching.

I support my Android OS device.
You can believe whatever you want but, logically, you are supporting Google. If you're not going to support Google then you can't use any of its products. You can't have it both ways. There's a word for that: hypocrisy.

The Nexus One is no more a Google phone than the Moto.
How so? Google was HTC's client for the Nexus One. They made the specification and dictated everything. IIRC they did not have the same arrangement with Motorola even if they were very influential.

In the empirical world and physical realm...the differences may not be noticeable. But there are indeed philosophical differences between the Android phones and the Nexus One/the actions of Google. We may not be able to see them in front of our eyes...but they exist.
Ok -- what are those philosophical differences? You keep bringing points up and then abandoning them, expecting people to take your word on the matter. Why should Google's philosophy be opposed and Motorola's supported? Why should HTC's be supported? Why should Dell's be supported? How exactly are there philosophical differences if they're using an OS that includes Google's "philosophy"? You keep giving us the "what" but fail to follow up with the "why" and "how". You talk about not being blind sheep yet you treat your readers as sheep that should just accept what you say.

We are saying that the opposition of Google's infiltration in to the hardware business was a dagger to the back of many involved in the industry. "Y Tu Brute?"
I do recognize this train of thought from your other threads. However, I'm not sure I agree with your reasoning. Google is a business just like any other business out there. Nothing in the business world precludes Google from entering the handset market directly. It seems as if you've anthropomorphized these corporations, talking of backstabbing and assuming that they think and act as you do as an individual. "Loyalty" doesn't exist in the corporate world except where it is enforced by contract and money, agreed upon by the parties involved. Did any of these manufacturers sign an agreement stating that Google would not produce Android handsets? Now, that would be actual backstabbing (instead of inflammatory language used to incite people against Google) but there would be legal recourse for the manufacturers.

The Nexus One doesn't prevent others from making Android devices. What, exactly is your concern here? I don't think I'm getting your point and every time I see it there's never any additional depth to your explanation to make it clear to us. If you'll recall, IBM made PC's back when the PC-compatible market was still in its early years. Did you rail against IBM back then too? Or is there a different point that I'm missing here?

Last edited:

thedroidguy.com

Reaction score
who is this "we"

Who is this "we" you keep talking about are they too far in ther shadows to aide in making this some kind of intelligent debate?

Ok here's my deal I love google as I said before I'm fortunate to own a wopping 10 shares of their stock. Having said that,

Did they screw over their hardware partners I don't know maybe for that 15 hours between the conference in 43 and the preview shows in vegas.

Is their business model for nexus flawed? Imo yes they keep showing they want new tmobile customers however its the more affluent customer that's going to be able to make a purchase decision based on specs and pictures.

Also we saw how profitable going into the hardware market was for AOL.

I also don't like how they billed it as the "google" phone when its just as google phone as G1

And then all that fanfare and really just a hero2

But whoever you are I think sometimes when us tech people get all emotional we forget that this is a business an industry in fact and with google tradint at 600+ and apple at 280ish and ATT at 20something it is demonstrative that google is a business and a good one at that.

So explain your position we are waiting with baited breath

OP
L

LordKastle

Reaction score
Cereal I disagree. If you look at the paper trails of the Nexus...they connect with Google. The Nexus is a Google Inc. phone...The Motorola Droid is not. The sales of the Droid are irrelevant to Google beyond the profit potential from the Android OS. Google Inc. is financially tied to the Nexus. Google also filed the trademark for the Nexus. They are in control of the Nexus from a legal perspective...they are not for the Moto Droid.

There is nothing wrong with Google aiding Motorola in designing a phone to be optimized for the Android OS. Yet, still no one has shown any true evidence of them having any hands-on approach to the phone to the extent others have claimed. Motorola designed the phone as they wanted.

Takeshi...please take your conspiracy theories elsewhere. No where in this thread is one advocating that Google is taking our data and using it against us. Thanks for putting words in my mouth.
[To address your hypocrisy remark: If one of my computers is a Macbook am I a hypocrite for not having an iPod? If I also have a Windows computer am I hypocrite for not using Hotmail and MSN? I support the stability of the Android OS and the potential for open development from its programmers and developers. This does not mean I have to be handcuffed to the imprisonment of Google's wishes. You are not a hypocrite by supporting the Android OS and not eating everything that Google feeds you.]

Last edited: