A lot of Installation Failures

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
wow you guys are getting the angry birds failing to install too? I can't get it to install on cyanogen and was about to come back to sapphire to see if that works but now this makes me wonder what is up.

gadgetskopf

Reaction score
Have you tried 'Fix Permissions'?

I ran into something similar a while back on a diff rom. An awful lot of them cleared up once I ran 'fix permissions' (I think created by Peter Alfonso and also available in ROM Mgr).

It looks like somewhere, somehow, a lot of my apps had had their permissions messed up, and this script fixed 'em all up!

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
I just flashed sapphire 1.1.4 and every app that has always given me trouble before on different roms now installed without a hitch like google search, street view, car home and now angry birds. Thank you CCRoms team and thanks tanknspank for compiling it!

The Physician

Reaction score
Angry Birds, Google Street View, Google Voice Search, Ubuntu One Music, Ubuntu One Contacts, and a ton others.

Between this, not being able to search in the browser bar, and my battery getting down to 30 then hovering there till dropping down to 5% then off, I'm about ready to switch to a more stable ROM.

Wiped before Install, cleared caches, fixed permissions, nothing fixes these problems.

captdroid

Reaction score
Installed Angry Birds yesterday no problem. Quite entertaining actually :)

No problem installing Google street view or Google Voice Search although you may need to delete the one already on the phone first and reboot.

The Physician

Reaction score
We really need to get this sorted. Is it some sort of new security the Market is using to block our custom ROMs? Because that would be extremely unfortunate.

I can't install the majority of apps I use Android for.

I've also noticed sometimes, like in the case of Cestos 2, it will ask me to upgrade the app then instead of upgrading it will uninstall it because the upgrade receives "Installation Unsuccessful".

Yianaki

Reaction score
Final Fix for Froyo Installation problems - Apps on SD cards

I figured this out at least with me. I am guessing it is from going between different roms. You clear out all the ROM data on the device when you reflash....but not the SD card. The .android_secure folder is where droid moves all SD installed apps, and their install info. When I looked in the folder there were multiple versions of the same app. I was worried this might do something bad to my droid but other than erasing the SD installed apps (easily restored using titanium backup) the steps below did nothing harmful to the phone.

You could test out whether my fix below will work by deleting your market cache, deleting the problem app, removing your sd card from the phone, and then trying to reinstall from market. If that works then my solution below will be a permanent fix.

Backup using titanium backup all your apps. Physically remove your SD card from your phone, mount it on your PC. Delete .android_secure, this folder will appear empty if you don't remove the sd card from your phone. I removed all the data for the Market app I don't know if that is necessary. Use titanium to restore all missing apps, you will probably have to manually go into settings to move the apps to SD. Download something random from market and then delete it for Market to see all you dl apps.

Bam! All apps work. It was really driving me bonkers. I didn't have this problem until recently. I think it is from changing between roms compiled from source, they are different enough to cause problems. I changed ROMs thinking it was the ROM but problem always followed. Just saw this thread. I think there is a flag for some things to be directly installed to your SD card without you moving it that is why Angry Birds won't install.

I didn't know this was a widespread issue, couldn't find anything Goggling it when I was having the issue. Been working for weeks no more errors at all.

GoodSpeed150

Reaction score
I figured this out at least with me. I am guessing it is from going between different roms. You clear out all the ROM data on the device when you reflash....but not the SD card.

Backup using titanuium backup all your apps. Physically remove your SD card from your phone, mount it on your PC. Delete .android_secure, this folder will appear empty if you don't remove the sd card from your phone. I removed all the data for the Market app I don't know if that is necessary. Use titanium to restore all missing apps, you will probably have to manually go into settings to move the apps to SD. Download something random from market and then delete it for Market to see all you dl apps.

Bam! All apps work. It was really driving me bonkers. I didn't have this problem until recently. I think it is from changing between roms compiled from source, they are different enough to cause problems. I didn't know this was a widespread thing. I changed ROMs thinking it was the ROM but problem always followed. Just saw this thread. I think there is a flag for some things to be directly installed to your SD card without you moving it that is why Angry Birds won't install.

Id also like to add, I moved "problem" apps I had from the SD card back to the phone, and that seems to be my problem.

Ill try your method and report back. Thanks for the tip!

Yianaki

Reaction score
I figured this out at least with me. I am guessing it is from going between different roms. You clear out all the ROM data on the device when you reflash....but not the SD card.

Backup using titanuium backup all your apps. Physically remove your SD card from your phone, mount it on your PC. Delete .android_secure, this folder will appear empty if you don't remove the sd card from your phone. I removed all the data for the Market app I don't know if that is necessary. Use titanium to restore all missing apps, you will probably have to manually go into settings to move the apps to SD. Download something random from market and then delete it for Market to see all you dl apps.

Bam! All apps work. It was really driving me bonkers. I didn't have this problem until recently. I think it is from changing between roms compiled from source, they are different enough to cause problems. I didn't know this was a widespread thing. I changed ROMs thinking it was the ROM but problem always followed. Just saw this thread. I think there is a flag for some things to be directly installed to your SD card without you moving it that is why Angry Birds won't install.

Id also like to add, I moved "problem" apps I had from the SD card back to the phone, and that seems to be my problem.

Ill try your method and report back. Thanks for the tip!

Moving problem apps back to my phone and then back to the SD card was my old personal solution. But that stopped working. Plus now there are some apps like angry birds (which are huge) that install to SD without asking, so you can't move it to phone unless you remove your SD card.

Kias

Reaction score
I finally got my phone fixed, and I'm happily running Sapphire 1.1.1 again!

Here's what I did that didn't work. I thought maybe it was in the ROM somewhere, so I installed CyanogenMod, then Bugless Beast, then Ultimate Droid, I even went back to stock! <Gasp!>

All of those had the same problems...

Here's what I did that finally worked, and you can find this in various other places too. I just deleted the file smdl2tmp1.asec It is located in /mnt/secure/asec/

You can't see the file unless you're root. So just go into terminal, type the following.
Code:
su
rm /mnt/secure/asec/smdl2tmp1.asec

That'll do it!

Let me make the filename clear though, in caps it looks like this. SMDL2TMP1.ASEC

I thought that L was a 1 for a while until I actually looked at the directory. You do need to type it in lowercase though.

It appears the apps that automatically install to the SD card can't install because of that file.

This solution seems to work for most people. For those that it didn't work for, a few more have found deleting \sdcard\.android_secure\smdl2tmp1.asec worked for them. This file isn't there on my phone. You will need to be root (su) to see this file also.

I'm still trying to hunt down what that file is, what it's doing, and where it came from in the first place!

jeremyreger

Reaction score
After trying all of these, I just took my SD card out tried it again and everything installed

Angry birds is awesome!

tbever

Reaction score
Worked for ME YIIPPEE!!!!

I finally got my phone fixed, and I'm happily running Sapphire 1.1.1 again!

Here's what I did that didn't work. I thought maybe it was in the ROM somewhere, so I installed CyanogenMod, then Bugless Beast, then Ultimate Droid, I even went back to stock! <Gasp!>

All of those had the same problems...

Here's what I did that finally worked, and you can find this in various other places too. I just deleted the file smdl2tmp1.asec It is located in /mnt/secure/asec/

You can't see the file unless you're root. So just go into terminal, type the following.
Code:
su
rm /mnt/secure/asec/smdl2tmp1.asec
That'll do it!

Let me make the filename clear though, in caps it looks like this. SMDL2TMP1.ASEC

I thought that L was a 1 for a while until I actually looked at the directory. You do need to type it in lowercase though.

It appears the apps that automatically install to the SD card can't install because of that file.

This solution seems to work for most people. For those that it didn't work for, a few more have found deleting \sdcard\.android_secure\smdl2tmp1.asec worked for them. This file isn't there on my phone. You will need to be root (su) to see this file also.

I'm still trying to hunt down what that file is, what it's doing, and where it came from in the first place!

This was absolutely driving me NUTS! Thanks for the fix. I tried everything else that has been suggested and wasted about 5 hours of my life that I'll never get back. How freakin obscure! For a couple of the apps that still would not successfully install, I cleared the market cache and data, the download manager data, uninstalled the apps (yelp and terminal emulator) and then rebooted and reinstalled them. So far so good!

Kias

Reaction score
I've had absolutely no problem installing anything since I deleted that file. Still no idea what it is or where it came from...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk