A little review of the Droid Maxx vs the LG G2

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the battery being non removable. The only time you need a removable battery is when the battery can't last through a days usage, and with the Maxx that is not an issue. My only concerns aside from the signal strength and battery life is how long will the device be supported before it gets dumped. I don't know Verizon's track record with updating the Droid line, but I would assume, since it's their flagship line, they'd keep it fairly up to date, although I know they'll be slow to do so. The LG has quite a bit of development and really, there's not much to not like about the phone from my experience so far. The Maxx is the safe bet, it'll just work and work well while getting you through a day and a half with ease.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I wouldn't worry about the battery being non removable. The only time you need a removable battery is when the battery can't last through a days usage, and with the Maxx that is not an issue. My only concerns aside from the signal strength and battery life is how long will the device be supported before it gets dumped. I don't know Verizon's track record with updating the Droid line, but I would assume, since it's their flagship line, they'd keep it fairly up to date, although I know they'll be slow to do so. The LG has quite a bit of development and really, there's not much to not like about the phone from my experience so far. The Maxx is the safe bet, it'll just work and work well while getting you through a day and a half with ease.

They have gotten better with the Droid line. Though VZW seems to always be the last to get updates no matter what the device. Because LG does not have a proven track record in the smart phone world I would be a little worried about updates from them. But this is a flagship device. I would hope that they treat it as such. I love the G2. Just don't have that much trust in the LG name.

And I am really glad I bought both of these at Best Buy and have 45 days to return them. Gives me ample time to decide. Though I haven't bee able to yet.

Clamshell

Reaction score
Are either or both of these phones capable of being on a phone call and surfing the net at the same time? I know some phones you can and some you can't. My HTC Rezound can do this. Don't have to do this very often but it's very useful when needed. I'm using Verizon if this makes a difference to the carriers you are testing these on.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say that the maxx will for sure, and frankly I'd be very surprised if the g2 didn't.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Clamshell

Reaction score
Just tested it and yes, you can on the Maxx.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

Thanks much. Leaning towards the Maxx when I retire the Rezound. Like most I'm tired of having to be near a charger. Maxx would solve this issue.
Prices are dropping on the Maxx in my favor. Can't wait for Black Friday sales.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
@Clamshell - None of the newest phones will do voice and data on 3G like your Rezound, but every phone on Verizon but the iPhone will do voice and data on LTE. The chipset in phones from last year like the GS3 and the Rezound are Snapdragon S4's with the ability to do SVDO on Verizon's 3G. The newer Snapdragon chipsets from this year won't do it on 3G, just LTE.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Ok after a week I think my decision is becoming clearer. And it is not the way I expected. I thought for sure I was going to stick with the Maxx. But I have been getting tons of freezes and lock-ups with standard Google apps. Even the phone app. I have had to force close many apps over the last few days. Bluetooth reception is shotty and will connect sometimes and other times it won't. And I am having major syncing issues with MyFordTouch. Yeah the batttery life is better but at this point that is about it. And not like the battery life on the G2 is miserable. Think it is time to take a chance and make a change.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Awesome G, I made the same decision and officially ordered a case+screen protector for the G2. I haven't had a problem with it yet and even if I have to turn off data for a while (get almost no signal in the warehouse I work at, and neither does any phone that anyone else has) the data comes back immediately. Sometimes you just have to take a chance.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Awesome G, I made the same decision and officially ordered a case+screen protector for the G2. I haven't had a problem with it yet and even if I have to turn off data for a while (get almost no signal in the warehouse I work at, and neither does any phone that anyone else has) the data comes back immediately. Sometimes you just have to take a chance.

I work in a warehouse too but we can't have our phones on the floor. So mine stays in my locker on airplane mode. A nice app you may want to download is Auto Airplane Mode. It puts your phone in airplane mode when you shut your screen off. You can also have it set to keep wifi and bt enabled even when it is active.

Tap'd from my Droid Maxx

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I work in a warehouse too but we can't have our phones on the floor. So mine stays in my locker on airplane mode. A nice app you may want to download is Auto Airplane Mode. It puts your phone in airplane mode when you shut your screen off. You can also have it set to keep wifi and bt enabled even when it is active.

Tap'd from my Droid Maxx

The only problem with Auto Airplane is it shuts off any moving data when you sleep the screen. Great while at work, not so great outside of work. I use Green Power and enable it's location based data toggles. It doesn't kill the phone radio but kills the others unless in specified locations.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Ok I am feeling really stupid. One sore spot for me on the LG has always been the white bar at the bottom for the touch buttons. All the times I have played with the setting I never noticed you could change the color. D'oh!!! But I also noticed that the transparency option does not seem to work.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
The only problem with Auto Airplane is it shuts off any moving data when you sleep the screen. Great while at work, not so great outside of work. I use Green Power and enable it's location based data toggles. It doesn't kill the phone radio but kills the others unless in specified locations.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

For me it really doesn't matter. When I am in airplane mode I don't worry about getting data anyway. Everything will purge when I take it out of airplane mode.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Ok I am feeling really stupid. One sore spot for me on the LG has always been the white bar at the bottom for the touch buttons. All the times I have played with the setting I never noticed you could change the color. D'oh!!! But I also noticed that the transparency option does not seem to work.

The transparency works on our AT&T G2. Forgot to check it on the VZW one. Will do that on Tuesday. I like that you can change the settings up of the bar, so the back arrow is on the left like every other phone lol

Sent from my Droid Maxx