A.I.type - the new standard for keyboards on smartphones

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by Briankbl, Dec 27, 2011.

1. wickedkae

wickedkae Member

Ratings:
    +1
    OK so wow, I am really glad this thread was made. This keyboard is retardedly awesome. Buyen now. Actually it's funny I can't fidn the space bar customizer. The stock one is ok, but where do we go to customize space bar. The bottom bar option has nothing in it.

And what does this mean off the main website? Is this a subscription based keyboard?
    What if I decide to purchase a license, and regret it after a while ?

You may stop the subscription anytime you like. You will be charged just for the last month that the software was in use.

Crap this doesn't work with quick office. Great keyboard getting worse the more I try to use it with stuff.

#37 wickedkae, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  2. Briankbl

Briankbl Active Member

Ratings:
    +104
    Glad I could spread awareness of this awesome keyboard. I used Swiftkey consistently for over a year and never thought anyone could dethrone it. Then A.I.type came along and changed the game. The number one thing most of us do on our smartphones is type. Most apps have some sort of text entry in them. So, for me, having the best keyboard is important. Essential. Required. Etc etc. Hopefully more folks will give this a look. I've been in love with A.I.type since the sound the keyboard made after its first auto-correction lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

3. blamejake

blamejake Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased this as well. Indeed, it works well - except not with the app I use the most: DOCS TO GO. Is this a known constraint? Oh, well, back to ICS Keyboard. Thanks for any assistance on getting this to work w/DOCS to GO.

4. DigbyDNh

DigbyDNh Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this. I am typibg on it right now and I really like it! Thanks again.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

5. natezire71

natezire71 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    It's ugly. :|

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for posting. As a long time Swiftkey user - who also thought that its awesome prediction capability could never be beaten - I have been using A.I.Type for the past 24 hours and must say I am very impressed. I like the layout of the keyboard and the ability to swap between languages by swiping the space bar. Need to let it learn for a longer period before I can accurately assess whether its word prediction is better.

Most importantly, the keyboard appears almost instantaneously on my D1 and responds well to my typing. The recent versions of Swiftkey have become fairly laggy.

On the other side, however, Swiftkey's autocorrect ability appears to be much more robust while A.I.Type's seems to be a bit haphazard. For example, words like "thuoght" or "helllo" are corrected by Swiftkey, but not by A.I.Type. (In both cases, I type the word and then press space bar).

As the development team appear to be monitoring this thread, one thing I have not been able to figure out is that if I tap on one of the displayed suggestions, sometimes it inserts that suggestion immediately into my text; at other times it only displays an orange highlight around the word. I have to click on the word a second time before it inserts it. Why the difference?

Also one suggestion for improvement would be to add an option for A.I.Type to learn from all of my existing texts and emails as Swiftkey does - so that it already has that knowledge built up.

I am going to continue to put its through its paces and see how much it "learns" by the end of my trial period.

#42 kiwiguy, Dec 29, 2011
  7. noamrotem

noamrotem Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    Landscape is a mysterious mode... Strange things happen there... The lag on landscape is indeed a mystery to us - we investigated it so many times and in so many ways but found nothing on our side. No prediction on landscape - even stranger. Did it happen once or is it consistent?

As for scrolling - you can always hide the keyboard by very-long-clicking the ?123 button. It will make scrolling easier, even in this mysterious mode... :)

8. Briankbl

Briankbl Active Member

Ratings:
    +104
    You're ugly lol

9. noamrotem

noamrotem Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    The website FAQ refers to the PC version, which - when out of Beta - will be subscription based (at the moment it's free). I sent a note to the website maintenance guy to make it clear on that page.

As for QuickOffice - you are right. Text prediction doesn't work there. There are a few applications (QuickOffice included) that do not "behave nicely" with us. The keyboard asks for some information that the application doesn't provide in a standard way. We are working to better work with these applications - in fact: this is a major goal of our next version (in about 10 days).

10. noamrotem

noamrotem Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    We'll look into DOCS TO GO and fix our interfacing with it - if it's fixable - in the coming version (~10 days from now). Thanks!

11. noamrotem

noamrotem Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    1. We are continuously improving our algorithms. The robustness you are describing is indeed a goal, and we'll get there soon.

2. Having to click a suggestion twice - that's weird. We'll check that. Has anyone else experienced it?

3. Learning from emails and SMS - you are right. We will get there eventually (so much to do... so little time... :)).

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions! We appreciate it!

Noam
    A.I.type

12. Briankbl

Briankbl Active Member

Ratings:
    +104
    I have also experienced #2.

When tapping a suggestion, sometimes instead of selecting the word, it will highlight the word orange and you have to tap a second time to select it.

#48 Briankbl, Dec 29, 2011
Search tags for this page
a.i. type vs swift key x
a.i.type vs swiftkey
ai keyboard vs swiftkey
ai type galaxy

ai type vs swiftkey

aitype keyboard vs swiftkey
swiftkey vs a.i. type
swiftkey vs ai keyboard