A good Battery life kernel

NewDroidOrder

Reaction score
Interactive may drain faster. But when you have results like these on this ROM using CVPCS's kernels, I dont think you could ask for more.
BbV1U.jpg

bodean

Reaction score
Which kernels are interactive ones? All on the wiki page? Only the " Increasing" ones?

roll3r

Reaction score
Which kernels are interactive ones? All on the wiki page? Only the " Increasing" ones?

"Interactive" is a type of governor, not a type of kernel. I believe all of the CVPCS kernels support it.

o29

Reaction score

"Interactive" is a type of governor, not a type of kernel. I believe all of the CVPCS kernels support it.

Yes, all kernels from cvpcs should include the interactive governor as an option. Increasing kernels simply increase voltage respective to increases in clock speed. I would basically only use it if I couldn't run the LV kernel.

jville95

Reaction score

As far as which kernels run the interactive governor, P3 Droid, Slayher, CVPCS, and I believe JDLFG runs interactive as well.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good kernel for battery life? I had my phone plugged into the. AC while listening to i heart radio over bluetooth for a few hours and dropped to 50%. Not to mention the phone was pretty hot. Any good suggestions?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Just to post my $0.02. As far as battery life, I switched from UD 8 to Sapphire 1.1.1 and after getting my rom set up(rom, gapps, black bar theme, and cvpcs 125-800 lv kernel), my battery life ran for nearly 16 hours off of one charge. Heavy texting, web use and some other miscellaneous phone fiddling. I will post screen shots next time bc im currently running Chevy's lv 125-800 kernel now.

SDraconis

Reaction score
Will cvpcs kernels run fine on stock ROM instead of Sapphire? Currently running Slayher's 900LV kernel kept at 800 max and tried going to cvpcs 125-800LV, but it kept freezing up right after booting (I could sometimes get past initial lock screen), so I wasn't certain if it's that my phone can't handle it or that it doesn't like my stock FRG22D.

As for the interactive governor, I would think having a profile using ondemand or conservative when screen is off would mitigate some of the idle battery drain concerns. My battery life with Slayher's LV kernel w/interactive is similar to stock kernel w/ondemand using same clocks (aside from the fact that Slayher's kernel has a min of 300).

Last edited:

jville95

Reaction score
Will cvpcs kernels run fine on stock ROM instead of Sapphire? Currently running Slayher's 900LV kernel kept at 800 max and tried going to cvpcs 125-800LV, but it kept freezing up right after booting (I could sometimes get past initial lock screen), so I wasn't certain if it's that my phone can't handle it or that it doesn't like my stock FRG22D.

I think i'm correct on this, but if you're rooted, you should be able to run any kernel you'd like(that's if your phone like s the kernel itself.) :) Also, try the 250-800 lv by cvpcs.

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

I think i'm correct on this, but if you're rooted, you should be able to run any kernel you'd like(that's if your phone like s the kernel itself.) :) Also, try the 250-800 lv by cvpcs.
Theoretically, yes. I haven't heard of any kernels that take away any options/features. Only that they add in some that aren't stock.
And like you said, as long as your phone can handle the kernel, it should work.
But remember, not all Droids are equal. Especially when it comes to voltage levels.

o29

Reaction score

As for the interactive governor, I would think having a profile using ondemand or conservative when screen is off would mitigate some of the idle battery drain concerns. My battery life with Slayher's LV kernel w/interactive is similar to stock kernel w/ondemand using same clocks (aside from the fact that Slayher's kernel has a min of 300).

It definitely sounds like the voltage is too low. If you want to run a cvcps kernel then you'll need to use a normal voltage kernel or an increasing one.

SDraconis

Reaction score
It definitely sounds like the voltage is too low. If you want to run a cvcps kernel then you'll need to use a normal voltage kernel or an increasing one.
I might give the SV a whirl just to confirm it's voltage, which would be the most likely cuplrit. It's unfortunate though as I wanted to switch to see how it fares against Slayher's LV in battery life, and going to a supposedly higher voltage wouldn't really help with that.

Is there a good way to compare voltage numbers at each clock speed between different kernels? The ULV, LV, SV, IV labels seem a bit arbitrary to me.

o29

Reaction score
I've been running the interactive governor for about a week now, and as far as I can tell so far there's no increased battery drain while the phone is idle. Using cvcpc's 1000/125 LV kernel, I managed to only drain 20% of my battery after 24 hours with a screen off profile of 400/125 and a normal 1000/125 profile while the screen was on. While testing I tried to limit my usage of the phone and avoided voice calls. I can't ask for much better performance while idle. It's worth noting that the percentage dropped to 70% soon after I took the screenshot, so the actual percentage was a lot closer to 70% than 80%.

screenshotzr.png

Throughout the next few days I'll try to test using more real-world circumstances where I use my phone more for browsing and phone calls.