A Few Verizon Droid Upgrading Questions..

Tippin

Reaction score
Hi!

Im currently looking into getting a droid X for the verizon wireless carrier.

Im trying to get it as cheap as possible and ive found a few offers and promotions.

-One offer ive currently been told is avaialable is buy one get one free for the Droid X. I asked the verizon guy how exactly this worked.. and he said well you buy one for 199.99 and you get a second to put on a line of you account. He said i cannot get and give it to a friend though.

Well, What if no one on my account wants the droid x? Can i TEMPORARILY activate it on one of the lines on my account then switch the old phone back on that line and give the phone to someone who actually wants the phone? Would this by pass this lame restriction.. cuz to me it seems like it would work.

-Also I found a deal on the Dell website that lists the Droid as "free" with a new contract.. well it allows me to sign if with my current account and it says im elegible to upgrade (i have an upgrade to one of my numbers available) well, then it starts wanting me to change plans n stuff.. Well i just changed plan to get my blackberry curver like not even a week ago! i dont wanna change plans again.. is there anyway i can just sign the new two year contract and get the phone for free from dell?

-Another deal possibly, does anyone think the Droid X will have a sale this year? verizon's website has a daily phone on sale.. and im thinking the Droid X might be listed in one of the last days of the holiday sale.. anyone else?

Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think the idea of temporarily putting it on your account and taking it off will work. They will charge you for the phone.

Your best bet for a deal on the X I think is to look at Amazon.com. They have some real good deals, I wouldn't but anything from Dell.

OP
T

Tippin

Reaction score
You think they might really charge me for the phone? lol thats jacked up big red.

and why wouldn't you buy from dell? I mean yeah, I would much rather just buy from Vz's online store but getting the phone for free rather than 200 is such a huge gap in price difference that i dont want to pass up on it.

Thanks for the reply.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Welcome to DroidForums! The X is a great phone, excellent choice!! If you were to activate the free phone on another line of your account (must be eligible for upgrade) and then switch it, the X must be active for 30 days before you could change it. And that line's contract would be renewed for two years.
There are some really good deals out there but BE CAREFUL!! Most third-party vendors make you sign a contract with them....as well as Verizon! Some won't even let you do a rate plan change for two years or they'll hit you with an ETF...plus Verizon's! This is why they can give you better prices on the phones. Not to mention, wherever you purchase the phone, is where it'll have to be returned. We can only return/exchange phones that come from our store, another corporate store, Verizon telesales, or verizonwireless.com.
You know the old saying: "If something sounds too good to be true....."

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
T

Tippin

Reaction score
Welcome to DroidForums! The X is a great phone, excellent choice!! If you were to activate the free phone on another line of your account (must be eligible for upgrade) and then switch it, the X must be active for 30 days before you could change it. And that line's contract would be renewed for two years.
There are some really good deals out there but BE CAREFUL!! Most third-party vendors make you sign a contract with them....as well as Verizon! Some won't even let you do a rate plan change for two years or they'll hit you with an ETF...plus Verizon's! This is why they can give you better prices on the phones. Not to mention, wherever you purchase the phone, is where it'll have to be returned. We can only return/exchange phones that come from our store, another corporate store, Verizon telesales, or verizonwireless.com.

DroidForums junkie!!

Thanks for the reply.. Ive just realized alot of stuff prior to reading this post.

The guy i talked to on the phone apparently forgot to explain to me that the buy one get one free offer was only available if two lines on my account were eligible for upgrades.. so i guess i can slap a X on that idea.

Also, Ive now just looked on dells terms and it looks if i were to change one tiny thing.. they are gonna slap my CC with a 300 dollar charge.. Im not dealing with that either.

The only choice's i have now are to wait and see if maybe verizon puts the droid on sale with the daily holiday deals.. Hopefully if the droid X is on the last day (21st) it'll still have one day shipping.

Thanks peoples!

Beka27

Reaction score

DroidForums junkie!!

I did not realize this. Does this also apply if you buy a phone from other stores like Best Buy, Walmart, those places in the mall, etc...

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not sure about Best Buy but the others are a def yes! I used to work for a retailer called One-Stop Cellular in 05 and they would charge $300 in addition to Alltel's $200 ETF! I ALWAYS told my customers about it though...I'm a full disclosure kind of sales rep (yep, some of us still exist :) )!

DroidForums junkie!!

I did not realize this. Does this also apply if you buy a phone from other stores like Best Buy, Walmart, those places in the mall, etc...

DroidForums junkie!!