A few quick questions-

Railer

Reaction score
Hello all, thanks for taking a peek.
I am fairly new to the smart phone world, thank you for your patients-

1) I can not find the swype app for my eris using the market icon
2) How can I change my phone contacts to google contacts
3) Is it possible to restore my phone back to the factory settings with out losing my contacts?
4) Where are you from?
5) What are some must have apps for your phone?

Thanks so much!!

denakisland

Reaction score
Pacific NW. Not so North and not so West.
I'm quite the amateurish smart phone user but here are my answers:
1) Swype is not available in the market, you must sign up as a beta user and I'm not even sure they are taking new users at the moment. You can find the link doing a search for "swype and eris"
2) when you bring up your contacts select menu, then view. You can adjust who you are seeing there. (google, facebook etc) You must be sure to load up your google account into the phone before they will show up, of course.
3) When you wipe the phone to factory reset, it is just like you take it out of the box, therefore no contacts, however signing in to google will restore them very painlessly.
4) Just outside of Portland, OR (strange, irrelevant question)
5) Everyone's "must haves" are quite different depending on your needs but here are my favorites: (note I'm a wahm/wife with 4 children in my early 30's) Where, Google Voice, Swype, My Tracks, IMDb, Handcent, Dolphin Browser, FB Reader, Calendar Pad, Calorie Counter, Bloo (Facebook), Barcode Scanner & Astro.
I use almost all of these on a daily basis.
So... there ya go!

OP
R

Railer

Reaction score
Thank you denakisland,
Yes question #4 is strange - Thought I'd change it up a bit...plus my OCD with numbers was contributing, I wanted an "even" 5 - :blink:
I appreciate your time...have a great week!

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thank you denakisland,
Yes question #4 is strange - Thought I'd change it up a bit...plus my OCD with numbers was contributing, I wanted an "even" 5 - :blink:

EVEN 5. LOL

For me here are the must have apps:

Astro File Manager (backup your apps!), Bible, ColorNote, eBuddy (multi IM client), Lost Phone, Mabilo Ringtones (no longer available in market), Our Groceries, Pandora, PDA Net (or WIFI tether), Scanner Radio, SetCPU (must be rooted), Where.

I had Handcent, didn't care for it.

Oh I am in Michigan, just outside of Ann Arbor (but hate the UofM).

denakisland

Reaction score
Thank you denakisland,

EVEN 5. LOL

Astro File Manager (backup your apps!), Bible, ColorNote, eBuddy (multi IM client), Lost Phone, Mabilo Ringtones (no longer available in market), Our Groceries, Pandora, PDA Net (or WIFI tether), Scanner Radio, SetCPU (must be rooted), Where.

What do you think about Our Groceries? I've been messing around with a few different shopping apps and I like the ability to throw things on my list via the computer but hate that it doesn't keep a price option so I can dump my price notebook altogether. I've been playing with Perfect Shopping List and think it would work a tad better.
Yeah, I know pretty off-topic. Kind of.

OP
R

Railer

Reaction score
I downloaded our groceries, I will play with it in a bit...
By the way I am in S. Lake Tahoe....and don't make fun of my number system!

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thank you denakisland,

EVEN 5. LOL

What do you think about Our Groceries? I've been messing around with a few different shopping apps and I like the ability to throw things on my list via the computer but hate that it doesn't keep a price option so I can dump my price notebook altogether. I've been playing with Perfect Shopping List and think it would work a tad better.
Yeah, I know pretty off-topic. Kind of.

The wife made me install it. We like it because we can share our list and be in the same store, different areas, and the list is updated real-time. What do you use the pricing for? We shop at Walmart anyway and the prices are ridiculously low. :)

denakisland

Reaction score
I'm an incredibly thrifty shopper. Why pay more than I have to? And I have a ridiculous amount of stores near me so I can choose to be cheap. If I go somewhere and something else is way cheaper I don't want to buy it there, so I like to keep tabs on what costs what where. We have no super wally's near me, however when I travel I find that it really isn't all that cheaper than my local Fred Meyer, if cheaper at all! Anyway, that's all there is about that!

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm an incredibly thrifty shopper. Why pay more than I have to? And I have a ridiculous amount of stores near me so I can choose to be cheap. If I go somewhere and something else is way cheaper I don't want to buy it there, so I like to keep tabs on what costs what where. We have no super wally's near me, however when I travel I find that it really isn't all that cheaper than my local Fred Meyer, if cheaper at all! Anyway, that's all there is about that!

Never heard of Fred Meyer.

Even shopping at a regular Walmart (before they changed the one by me to a Super) saved me money. And by a lot too, over other stores. Then again, I buy almost all off-brand (store brand) groceries. :)

denakisland

Reaction score
Never heard of Fred Meyer.

Even shopping at a regular Walmart (before they changed the one by me to a Super) saved me money. And by a lot too, over other stores. Then again, I buy almost all off-brand (store brand) groceries. :)

Freddies is run by Kroger, which I believe is a national chain. Freddies is a local store that prices by demographics and shops locally so we get fresher food at a cheaper price :) My two favorite things. Almost. Believe me when I say I used to drive 24 miles to the nearest super wally to buy groceries once a week and then I realized as long as I shopped my sales I could get more for less closer. Now... I work in a wallyworld as a retail merchandiser so you can bet I get some of the best deals I can! Which is one of the reasons having a shopping app is great because I don't have to remember later on what I needed or already have. *see: full circle back to topic!*