1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

A Few Questions from a New Charge Owner

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by OrbitzXT, Jul 6, 2011.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

I had the Motorola Droid before this phone and was quite used to the the LED notification. I actually spent an hour looking for the LED Notification settings on my Charge before googling it and realizing it doesn't have one. Anyway, I'll list my issues and any help with them would be appreciated:

1) The lowest volume setting before the phone goes silent is too loud. With my Motorola Droid, I typically kept my phone on the lowest possible before silent while at work in my office. I tried to do that today but "DROID" echoed through my office. It wasn't extremely loud, but certainly louder than I'd like it to be with other people within hearing distance. And since I can't keep my phone on silent and depend on non-existent LED notifications, is there any way to change how much the volume changes when you hit the rocker buttons? At the moment it goes up 1/7th at a time.

2) Is there any way to change or even get rid of the default 4 applications on the bottom of the home screens? I have mild OCD and for some reason it bothers me to see the default messaging app shown there if I want to go ahead and use another like Handcent. To be clear I'm referring to these:

[​IMG]

3) Maybe this ties into my second question, but is there a way to uninstall the software that Samsung threw onto this phone? I don't care about Rockband, Blockbuster (Which I thought went or was going out of business), Lets Golf 2 and a number of other apps.

I think I had some other questions but those were the major things on my mind at the moment. Thank you for any answers you can provide!
  2. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

no way that I know of to change the volume intervals.

to change the 4 icons.... open you app drawer > menu button > edit > then drag/drop whatever icons you want in place of those 4.

to uninstall the bloat (i recc. not uninstalling but rather freezing with Titanium Backup or MyBackUpPro) you first need to root. Gaining root access is the only way to remove bloat from any Android device... not just the Charge.
  3. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks for the quick response Martin! You seem to know your stuff. Is there anything you did to your Charge (Whether it's changing settings or installing Apps) that you could recommend to new users who don't know what they're missing?
  4. Martin030908

i toggle 4G when I'm not using it. 4G is the biggest drain on battery. For phone calls/text I don't need 4G speeds so I toggle it off. I only turn it on when I'm streaming something or browsing the web/fb etc. I see a huge improvement in battery life in doing this. I have no problem making a full day with moderate/heavy usage on one charge.

auto-brightness I leave enabled... with a 15 or 30 second screen time out. This screen is beautiful but it uses some battery :)

Other then that I don't disable data at any time.... I do toggle wi-fi off if I'm not at home (or using wi-fi atm) so that the device isn't searching for wi-fi signals all day. This helps battery life too I've found. I also don't leave GPS on unless I'm using something that requires it... but that's just me, as GPS shouldn't drain battery just being on, only if an app is actively using it.

definitely feel free to check out our sister site Samsung Droid Charge Forum

... I'm over there most of the time :)
  5. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks again for the quick and thorough responses. Is there a widget or some easy way of toggling 4G on and off? Unless I'm overlooking it, I don't see anything. Also, is there any way to add notifications to the puzzle pieces on your lock screen? I like seeing the text piece from the default messaging app. Is there any way to get that with my Gmail, or with a different texting app like Handcent?

Gonna go check out that other site now :)
  6. Martin030908

Handcent (which I use as well) does not give you the puzzle piece on the lock screen. Sucks I know because I thought that was a great feature of the stock SMS/MMS app, but the stock app sucks.

just search 4G toggle in the Market... I haven't found anything like a widget for it, but it creates a shortcut that saves you some time... I use "LTE Switch". The 4G toggle apps will show you how to toggle, it's in the system settings for network.

I don't think gMail adds a notification to the puzzle pieces... at least I've never had one show up, not sure if you can either. All I've seen show up as puzzle pieces is phone calls and texts.