1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

A few questions before I root.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Timberwolf, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Timberwolf

Timberwolf New Member

I have the stock 2.1 Moto Droid, and I'm going to root it soon. After doing some research I was able to find most of the answers and I think I know what I'm doing now. I just have a few unanswered questions. 1. I've read about SPRecovery and Clockwork, and my understanding is that Clockwork is better because you are able to use ROM Manager, but SPRecovery is more stable. Are you able to use one then switch over to the other fairly simple when I get the hang of it? 2. As I'm looking for ROMs to use, eventually I plan on using themes and whatnot, but for now I would like to just get it rooted with 2.2. I see the Saphire ROM around and hear its good. So what would my best option be for a ROM if I just want it to get as close to a 'stock' Froyo as possible. 3. Overclocking and teathering. I see you need to modify the ROM or mess with the kernel or something to overclock. Overclocking is one of the biggest reasons I'm rooting. Is there a good ROM out there that has the overclock option already built in or will I have to patch them all? Same with the teathering feature.

Thanks!
  2. ChugIt

ChugIt New Member

[ROM STABLE] Android 2.2 FRG01B (Clean, Untouched, Virgin)
    Is what you want to be rooted with 2.2, yet have a stock look.
    You can use SetCPU to overclock how you want it.
    Use Wired Tether For Root Users to tether.
    As far as switching back and forth from SPRecovery and Clockwork easily, I'm still trying to figure that out myself actually.
  3. Timberwolf

Timberwolf New Member

Thanks ChugIt. Between SPRecovery and Clockwork what are you using now or which one do you like better?
  4. christim

christim DF Super Moderator

Answer 1)
    Rom Manager lets you switch between Clockwork and SPrecovery. It isn't that Clockwork lets you use Rom Manager it is that Rom Manager makes use of Clockwork. It also makes use of SPRecovery because it will install that "Alternative Recovery Method" too. (only can you one at a time)

RM will let you select a rom, then go and fetch it for you. The rom gets downloaded to your phone and then it will install it for you.

The manual method is you go and fetch the rom, with your phone to get it on your phone, rename it to update.zip and install it...or download it to your pc, rename it and put it on your card.

Yes, some have had some difficulty with it, others don't. Let the various posts here help you decide.

You pay for the service RM provides. Up to you if you want to just install yourself or not.

Answer 2)
    The Sapphire rom has an overclocked rom as its default kernel.
    start [CVPCS Sapphire Wiki] grab the latest, which is .8.4 at the time of this post.

The directions and feature list are on the download page....as they are for most roms I see out there.

As you aren't decided between rm or sprecovery, try the above with sprecovery and see how how it goes for you. I'm the type of person who won't pay for something I can just do myself.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  5. Timberwolf

Timberwolf New Member

Okay thanks. I guess I don't know/understand as much about the whole rooting thing as I thought. Thanks for everyone's help so far! Another question. I've seen cyongen (I know I miss spelled that) around too as a good rom. I don't think I understand differences too much. Is what makes roms different is just different features built in to different roms? I know some themes only work with some roms and such.
  6. droid15

droid15 New Member

Use Ultimate droid.its what I use and in my opinion 10x better than sapphire.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  7. hookerdj

hookerdj New Member

ya thats right different rom have different features you just have to flash a few to find out what works for you
  8. hookerdj

hookerdj New Member

lol..........welll stated link removed by moderator its what I use and in my opinion 10x better than sapphire.[/quote]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2010
  9. Timberwolf

Timberwolf New Member

Haha okay, I'll look into it. What makes that better then Saphire?
  10. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

If you can find UD documentation use this to compare
    start [CVPCS Sapphire Wiki]
  11. christim

thread closed for a little cleaning.

I provided links to the rom you asked about, and would do the same for
    any rom requested that had available links.

Personally, I don't think any rom is 10x better than any other rom. I recommend everyone go and look over all the various roms and find one that is to your liking. For 10 different roms you will always find 10 different people saying "theirs" is best. There should be no "theirs". The roms from all of the devs, every single one of the devs, are gifts to the rest of the community.

thread re-opened
  12. Timberwolf

Timberwolf New Member

Okay Thanks for everyones help!
  13. Timberwolf

Timberwolf New Member

Absolutely one isn't better then another, I was just looking for some opinions so I would know what ones I may want to try before others. I'm still going to try out the clean froyo first and get comfortable with root first. But another thing. When I switch roms and have to boot into the recovery or what ever its called menu do i have to clear my cache and personal data everytime or just the first time, when I first root it? and I'm not really clear about making my backups. Is that in the same recovery menu or is it an app that does it?
  14. christim

Both clockwork and sprecovery have options to clear cache and data. Generally if you are on a particular rom you don't have to. If you switch to another dev's rom you usually should.

The instructions for each rom tend to tell you what to do. Always make a backup before applying a rom. That way if you realized you should have wiped, but didn't, you can quickly restore and try again.
  15. Timberwolf

Timberwolf New Member

Thanks man for all your guys' help! Greatly appreciated.