A Few Questions Before I Buy a New Phone

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
when is the SG3 coming out?

I don't think there's a hard and fast release date, but it seems that it will be the end of June or the beginning of July.

mbell75

Reaction score
I'd be extremely leery do to my poor experience with Samsung Android phones on Verizon (I've had the Fascinate, Charge, Stratosphere, and Galaxy Nexus), I'd lean towards the SIII myself.

You do realize the SIII is also a Samsung phone correct? How can you say you would be extremely leery of a Samsung Android phone on Verizon and then say you want an SIII right after?

OP
aj8600

aj8600

Reaction score
good stuff, thats when i was looking to make my purchase

probably gonna come with a $299 pricetag?

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
And phone that works right out of the box... Well my Nexus has worked right out of the box like a champ lol... rooting it just lets me add in all extra functionality and tweak to my heart's content that NO Android phone lets you do right out of the box. I would probably be almost as happy using a Maxx as a Nexus. Both are solid phones. I'm sure I can do anything on the Maxx that I can on the Nexus and vice versa. Although there are a LOT of nice kernels out for the Nexus with a lot more tweaks in them then what I was used to one the OG Droid. I would miss that. I also really like the SG3 but it's not bringing anything interesting into play for anybody already on a Maxx or Nexus. After using the Nexus since January's I'm also a bit put off by any phone with hard keys. Being able to mod those keys around is a huge plus compared to being locked in with your choices. The Qinara is sporting soft keys if you want to go the RAZR route... And I have a suspicion that the HD is going to mimic that phone a lot. Speculation at this point :)

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
You do realize the SIII is also a Samsung phone correct? How can you say you would be extremely leery of a Samsung Android phone on Verizon and then say you want an SIII right after?

Ha, ha. Of course I know that.

You kind of have to read the entire sentence, especially the first part that you left out of the quote. That "although" bridging the two that you also left out is pretty important too. ;)

If developer support is a deciding factor, although I'd be extremely leery do to my poor experience with Samsung Android phones on Verizon (I've had the Fascinate, Charge, Stratosphere, and Galaxy Nexus), I'd lean towards the SIII myself.

So, in other words, if having developer support is extremely important to a person, even though I would have some reservations because of previous experience, I recommend checking out the SIII. If I suddenly got the urge to start flashing roms every other day again, even with my previous experiences with Samsung devices on Verizon, I would still lean towards checking out the SIII because it's likely to have the best combination of hardware and support for the near future.

pbickel

Reaction score
aj8600 said:
good stuff, thats when i was looking to make my purchase

probably gonna come with a $299 pricetag?

Its gonna be $199 you can already pre- order it on Verizon's website

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

Caesars

Reaction score
Price is pretty darn amazing lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

pbickel

Reaction score
Plus it supports up to a 64 GB memory card

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

OP
aj8600

aj8600

Reaction score
All of this is making it a really hard decision. I think that the SG3 has potential but im usually weary of buying phones as soon as they come out. but i also dont want to commit to a phone and then have the SG3 become the devs choice (which i could see happening). I really like the battery of the maxx but the locked bootloader really takes away from it imo as i am coming from the D1.

i think im going to wait a tad bit more to see what the SG3 does and decide then. right now i just want a galaxy nexus maxx and ill be set! lol

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Price is pretty darn amazing lol

The prices are consistent across carriers, so I'm sure they were dictated by Samsung. If it had been up to Verizon, the prices probably would have been $249/$299.

Plus it supports up to a 64 GB memory card

Most newer phones do, even though they don't expressly state so. The RAZR/MAXX supports a 64GB card.